E-Bike Accident database / documentation

qwerkus

10 kW
Hello,

As one is learning most from her/his mistakes, I'd like to open a thread collecting information on ebike accidents. The idea is to document major failings / weak points to avoid seeing the same mistakes again. Of course, some accidents cannot by avoided, but others can be, and I think everyone could learn from an "ebike fuckups thead".To improve lisibility, I suggest a clear structure and short description. Pictures most welcome. Comments / thumbs up should be left for another thread.

As an example, I'll start with my most recent misfortune:
Ebike setup: bbs02 conversion, 14s7p own battery; build description here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99376
Circumstances: Bike + rider + trailer with one kid. Snow / sleet weather. Going down hill on a narrow mountain road, I had to move to the side of the road to avoid a large SUV. Unfortunately roadsides where covered with transparent sleet I did not see. Front wheel slipped and the bike crashed to the side.
Human toll: Twisted wrist and bruised patella (still recovering). The kid inside the trailer wasn't harmed (and watched me with big eyes :shock: )
Dammage to the vehicle: Right brake lever damaged, fork remote lock broken, one fender bar clamp broken. Turns out my homebrew aluminium battery didn't move at all even though it was rammed by the trailer. +1 to solid battery clamps.
How to avoid it next time: WINTER TIRES! I have a pair of schwalbe super moto X on that bike, which are supposed to be all-weather. Well, they're not. Some nobby nic ore similar MTB tires would have been much better. On a sidenote, since super moto x are more and more common on ebikes, I called Schwalbe after the accident, and they told me "we know we know, this tire is aweful in winter, and we are working on a better version for winter commuter"... Yet still no warning on the website.

Back