What lock and how many do you buy?

oh, god, not another lock thread

Lots of security, theft, etc threads with existing info:

Not everything in these results is relevant, but you can easily see by title what probably is. And there are other threads that arent' listed, that you can find with some poking around.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=lock*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=*theft*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=secur*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=gps&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=*alarm*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=stole*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Hopefully some of the info there will help.

A better topic might be what locks were you using when your bike was stolen.

markz said:
How many yellow Kryptonite NYC Forgetaboutit locks do you buy for a bike like this?

$cdn peso's
Clipboard01.jpg

20200104_155155.jpg

None. You have your personal assistant stand there and hold it upright until you get back.

I use AXA Defender on my both winter and summer ebikes.
I dont really relay on bike locks.
Axa cannot be cut by chain cutter - no access.
that is plus however this lock for sure can be open by thief, skilled one.
simple rule:
if I cannot roll my ebike indoors /minimum between entrance doors/
I dont use this business.

miro13car said:
I use AXA Defender on my both winter and summer ebikes.
Never seen that lock before, https://www.axasecurity.com/bike-security/en-gb/
I was thinking its a gps, audible, texter lock, but its just a normie lock. If I were to use a chain, I'd go for the PEWAG chain, but the weak link would be the lock itself, chain not cheap, a good key lock is $100+. Still a grinder or hydraulic action. Best anti-theft, is a fugly looking bicycle that no one knows is electrified. Spend money on 2 or 3 ebikes, make them not stand out, electrify them, best measures in locking up, and if it tickles the fancy, gps/text/audible. For the money, I'd throw in a battery locking system that is easily removed. Hide the hubbie behind some panniers, bikes a steelie circa 1990's with zero flash, preferably dark and rust.
The remaining $5000 would be invested.

HK12K said:
None. You have your personal assistant stand there and hold it upright until you get back.
hahahaha yeah, I was going to mention a Brinks armored car personnel because they carry a gun!
Someone dropping $9k would have a "riding buddy" aka trainer riding along with them.

goatman said:
9 grand id buy 3 locks for the 3 bikes id build instead
that's 2 spare bikes and locks waiting for the first ones to be stolen.
You got it, 3 Kryptonyte NYC Forgetaboutit locks, for 3 ebikes. One for every season.

Rin said:
A better topic might be what locks were you using when your bike was stolen.
I always wonder about that when I see Stolen wanted ads.

beauty of AXA defender is that is permanently attached to the frame, no hanging chains or long loose clamps.
classic lock you carry in backpack or hanging from luggage rack, rattling around.
grind it? highly unlikely without damaging wheel.

No locks can survive one minute an experienced bike thief. Most of them don’t even pass 10 sec. You need to set traps to catch bike thieves, and after you caught a few in your neighborhood, you should be able to keep a bike safe for a while.

My bike is not locked most of the time, and left with my gloves, jacket and helmet on the handlebar. Thieves know now, that this neighborhood is a dangerous place to steal a bike, and an unlocked 10k$ bike is too good to be safe.

Interesting configuration. I haven’t seen many production bikes that is a smaller wheel out back, like that one.

Would that be a 79er?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$8200 just to go 25kph
What a rip-off!

I wonder how many bicycles they have sold, and to whom.

Instead, buy 3, one for you, one for your wife and one for da girlfriend that the wife dont know about....... yet
Ghost SL AMR 2.9 Bicycle - Unisex Clearance price $1800.00
plus $1900 in parts from em3ev.com, bbshd, bag ass battery, satiator charger, lekkie's, etc.

MadRhino said:
You need to set traps to catch bike thieves, and after you caught a few in your neighborhood, you should be able to keep a bike safe for a while.

Are you suggesting involved traps with "bait" bikes (like "bait" cars) or do you have something less elaborate in mind?

wturber said:
Are you suggesting involved traps with "bait" bikes (like "bait" cars) or do you have something less elaborate in mind?

I guess if you leave them in the traps, that would send a clear message to the other thieves?

E-HP said:
wturber said:

I guess if you leave them in the traps, that would send a clear message to the other thieves?
trap.jpg

I'm guessing that kind of trap is not legal in most municipalities. Not that such trivialities would matter to many folks on this forum. ;^) :lol:

On the front porch, I use the heaviest Kryptonite U lock and the heaviest On Guard chain. The U part of the Kryp lock is hard to put through the largest Kryp chain, but it slides through the end links of the largest OG chain easily. Besides this I use one or two other chains and large padlocks.

Now days I put the bike in the garage because thieves tried to steal it from the front porch a few times. I printed up a few pictures of the last thief and walked around the neighborhood showing them to home owners. Several recognized him and told me where he lived. Word must have gotten to him, he hasn't bothered our home again. BTW, I use high resolution security cameras and a NVR, net video recorder, as well as a Ring Doorbell.

When I'm out riding I carry a Kryptonite Keeper 7mm chain lock and a good sized cable and very tough padlock. I used to carry a 10mm chain, one of the very hard ones made for truck tires in winter, but it was quite heavy. Also tried carrying a New York Noose, but that is too heavy.

Another thing I do is chain in such a way that bolt cutters won't have much leverage.

wturber said:
MadRhino said:
You need to set traps to catch bike thieves, and after you caught a few in your neighborhood, you should be able to keep a bike safe for a while.

Setting thieves traps is another expression of creativity for bike builders. Illegal of course, but not a risky business as long as the bike can’t be related to you and the same trap is not used repeatedly.

Use your imagination, and give them names like:

-Eeee-brakes

-Balls Buster

-Back Flipper

-Sh*t Dropper

-After-Burner

-Injector

:twisted:

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2013/11/alarm-calls-your-phone-if-somebody-touches-your-bike/7597/
"An internal motion sensor detects when the bike is being jostled – presumably by somebody with bad intentions, although a rider locking their bike next to yours or a strong gust of wind could also set it off. It then pings your Apple device (no Android compatibility yet) with a chirp, so you can go kick the thief's butt"

+

A 9mm and a taser!

MadRhino said:
wturber said:
MadRhino said:

Setting thieves traps is another expression of creativity for bike builders. Illegal of course, but not a risky business as long as the bike can’t be related to you and the same trap is not used repeatedly.
OK. Sounds like this kinda thing.
[youtube]VyBjAMXqFGw[/youtube]

Back