Lyft redesigns NYC CitiBike ebike as a single-speed

17mph18a

1 mW
Lyft yesterday returned NYC's CitiBike ebikeshare fleet to service with fixes for the faults that caused them to be withdrawn last year, including a new battery supplier, new front Sturmey Archer drum brake, with the hub motor moved to the rear - CitiBike state it is a single-speed (also reported on Reddit), hopefully it's not geared too high but might this cause the motors to prematurely burn out when climbing hills?

Calgary, AB is doing away with their Lime ebikes, and just using their stand up scooters. Hopefully they will start using the docking system instead of people just leaving them wherever they please, its so annoying to have them in the middle of a sidewalk where I just kick them down or onto the road.

With enough power, gears really cease to be necessary. I've been riding single speed with pedal assist for 3 years and there have been maybe 2 times that I wanted for gears, and that was while not using assist (group rides). I've never not made it up a hill even when touring, or melted a motor. It makes sense to me anyhow.

grindz145 said:
With enough power, gears really cease to be necessary. I've been riding single speed with pedal assist for 3 years and there have been maybe 2 times that I wanted for gears, and that was while not using assist (group rides). I've never not made it up a hill even when touring, or melted a motor. It makes sense to me anyhow.

What is the crank gear and rear gear teeth are you using?

I tried single gear, but was on a 3x7 and there werent enough gears, though I have your regular hills plus lots of long flats.
edit: I did not install the gear cable to the rear derailleur, but left the chain long, same length. Plus no cable for fd.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/electric-citi-bikes-return-to-nyc-after-being-pulled-for-safety-issues/

Back