Newbie needs advise.

I am planning to build my first e-bike and will buy a new bike for this project. I am considering the Trek Dual Sport 2, or Dual Sport 3. The Dual sport three has better tires, fork, brakes, and shifters, and has i 9 speed cassette. The Trek Dual Sport 2 has downgraded components (hence lower price), and has an 8 speed cassette. I read that going over 8 speed leads to less reliable shifting and more difficult adjustments because most hub motors use the old freewheel system and the aftermarket freewheels are not as reliable as the OEM Cassettes. I did find a rear hub motor the uses the cassette system and therefore I could just install my original 9 speed cassette. So am I risking poor shifting by going to the 9 speed cassette?

Since you're on a budget you will be MUCH better served buying a used bike vs a piece of garbage entry level bike new.

I repeat. Don't buy the bikes you're talking about new unless you want to waste money and not even have anything decent to show for it.

I am not on a budget although I targeted $1000 as the upper limit I wanted to spend on a new bike, and another $1500 for a conversion kit

bilbndr@gmail.com said:
I am not on a budget although I targeted $1000 as the upper limit I wanted to spend on a new bike, and another $1500 for a conversion kit

It would be better to spend $400-$500 on a used bicycle, and $2000 on an ebike conversion kit.
- A good battery with plenty of Ah
- A good charger to charge the battery
- Then whatever kit you want, direct drive hub, geared hug, mid drive.

$1000 still barely gets you entry level buying new. But, you can probably get an OK full suspension mountain bike for close to that amount used. Full suspension mountain bike is generally the best platform if you can afford it.

The things you think are important for a bicycle, are not really important for an Ebike.
With a motor, grams, maybe even pounds, do not need to be counted and most folks running at least a 1000 Watt system end up only shifting two, maybe three gears.
What is important is comfort and a good place to carry batteries.
Full suspension mountain bikes offer the comfort needed on less than great roads and used ones are a great value as many people by'em, only to find out it's a lot like work and park'em. Craigslist in most areas is where to start, especially out west.
No matter what donor bike you start with, the OEM tires are not going to be the best for an Ebike. Many of us like wider tires, in the 2.2" to 2.5" range, w/ flat resistance.

bilbndr@gmail.com said:
So am I risking poor shifting by going to the 9 speed cassette?

You'll rarely be shifting. If you have a throttle to use from a stop, you may just stay in high gear and never shift.

Yeah, unless the rider has real powerful legs, taking the time to shift when the motor just wants to go, seems to slow things down. Us Not Great Riders put in so little power compared to a motor.
Maybe the best thing one can do is be in the right gear when hitting a hill. That's where legs can help.

Back