how to choose a good battery case ?

HI

I have a need for clarity before buying a battery case.
i m building abattery and i already have my bms and i would like to choose

a solid waterproof(if possible) case that i can securly leave on my bike when i go to the groceries. Either on top of a normal rear rack or where the water bottle is.

i read polly 2 are good what is poll2 ?
what to stay away from and why ( hailong maybe 1 or 2)
for the space i will take a larger case to be able to include my own bms in.

it would make my life wonderfull if you could teach me what i need to know before ordering a battery case tx

Not sure what size and shape you need, but ammo boxes can make good battery boxes, including the plastic ones.

The ones for shotgun shells are a long skinny box, kind of ideal for a rear rack. Somewhat more lockable, metal tool boxes and tackle boxes.

hi Dog man
hum ammo case

but how to prevent theif from opening the ammo case? the ones which locks have small cheap lock
b how to prevent the theif from detaching the ammocase from the bike
c how to prevent the theif from detaching the whole rear rack (4 bolts)

for c i know i can buy special heads so that would be ok but the A and B are problematic in my view

how do you see this?

Attachments

• dd.jpg
    dd.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,151
  • ddff.jpg
    ddff.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,151
  • 1112wwww70dddddsddd2.jpg
    1112wwww70dddddsddd2.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 1,151
if you have a plastic battery case on your bottle mounts, they can just rock the thing side to side really hard until it rips the bottle mounts off, or breaks teh plastic cradle.

or they can use a screwdriver to pry the ultracheap diecast lock in the plastic housing apart.

if that doesnt' work, they can use a power screwdriver to very quickly undo the side-accessible screws holding the case together, and then it just comes right off the mount in two halves. or a drill to drill out the screws.

ifyou have a pack on yoru rack, they can just unbolt the rack from the bike and take the whole thing. or use boltcutters to cut the rack frame/supports.

they'll break whatever they need to to take what htey want, cuz they dont' give a flying rat's ass about what's left hanging off the bike rack in pieces.

or they can just steal the whole bike in one of the zillion easy ways tehre are to do that.

none of these will take an experienced thief more than a minute or so.

:(

hell, fi they can't steal it and they really want it, they may just break it and stomp it and smash it so you can't keep it either. :/

the only really good way to stop a thief is to not leave them anything to steal (since most of the other methods that really work are frowned upon as immoral, illegal, or unethical, by many people with badges), either by taking it with you, or staying with it yourself.

i wish there was a perfect solution, but there isn't. it's all a compromise.

Good question. I for once think that in a conversion project, the battery is like 90+% of the job, especially if you use a simple bbs kit, or a laced hub with integrated controller.
Anyway, without trying to undermine the more enthusiastic answers in this thread, I'd suggest having a look first at cheap chinese battery cases.
The newer Reention/Hailong cases are actually quite decent.
I tend to favor hard aluminium cases, using either "Rack style" or "Silver Fish style" boxes, as the vendors call it. If you ditch the cheap plastic covers and make you own aluminium ones, they also become quite decent. Also, the alu walls beeing stronger, its easier to drill custom holes wherever you need them to attach it to the frame. Here is what it looks like.

qwerkus said:
Good question. I for once think that in a conversion project, the battery is like 90+% of the job, especially if you use a simple bbs kit, or a laced hub with integrated controller.
Anyway, without trying to undermine the more enthusiastic answers in this thread, I'd suggest having a look first at cheap chinese battery cases.
I tend to favor hard aluminium cases, using either "Rack style" or "Silver Fish style" boxes, as the vendors call it. If you ditch the cheap plastic covers and make you own aluminium ones, they also become quite decent. Also, the alu walls beeing stronger, its easier to drill custom holes wherever you need them to attach it to the frame. Here is what it looks like.

hi i looked at your bike it is nice.
correct me if im wrong but this battery case is not lockable? can you lock it? that is the whole purpose i loock for

where can one buy silver case empty like yours?

I was thinking about maybey this one http://www.topbikekit.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=2019+New+Polly-DP-6C+Battery+c
i read polly2 is stronger do you know where i can find one?

want to build said:
qwerkus said:

correct me if im wrong but this battery case is not lockable? can you lock it? that is the whole purpose i loock for

I was thinking about maybey this one http://www.topbikekit.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=2019+New+Polly-DP-6C+Battery+c

Everything I build is bolted onto the frame. Those locks are a joke anyway: if you want to steal a battery, you can steal it. Its just plastic and aluminum. Only way to protect the cells is to hide them inside the frame and than again: one would just steal the entire bike!
Good place to find cheap battery cases is your local recycling depot: plenty of ebike batteries there. Also second hand markets like ebay. And finally you can always buy new from China.

Want to Build,

that is a really excellent bike build. Many great and well thought details for us to ponder.

Thanks for posting it.

Yeah, i hope your comment is not cynical hahaha.

i do recognise that i have often lots of quetions , sometime maybe because of the part of me that aim at perfection :(
but most of the time my questions are legits and kind of out of the box sometime. anyway thats the way i am , i wont repress it simply because sometimes it is cumbersome for me and other. By the way the bike pict are from someone who answered the post.

HI

i read those terms at some places ,
can someone tell me the differences? apparently polly 2 is newer but what is the difference between those?

tx

hi
i read somewhere that there is such thing as polly 1 and polly2 battery case .
what are the differences between them?

qwerkus said:
want to build said:
qwerkus said:

Everything I build is bolted onto the frame. Those locks are a joke anyway: if you want to steal a battery, you can steal it. Its just plastic and aluminum. Only way to protect the cells is to hide them inside the frame and than again: one would just steal the entire bike!
Good place to find cheap battery cases is your local recycling depot: plenty of ebike batteries there. Also second hand markets like ebay. And finally you can always buy new from China.

hi
Hi im trying to figure what type of case holds the strongest on top of a regular rear rack ? how is reention compared to hailong? any other case cie that has proven to hold well not breake easily?

want to build said:
hi
i read somewhere that there is such thing as polly 1 and polly2 battery case .
what are the differences between them?

maybe poly1 polly2 is just terms used for hailong? who has tested lots of cases?

It seems you might need to be the one, and contribute your research results back to the community!

lol the one.
here is what i got so far.
an ebay seller told me polly 2 was more solid than polly1 . (like an improved version)
A chinese seller told me the difference was about a hidden handle . than he told me there are no difference. than he told me that one of them has a place for controller. it was difficult to get answers from him.

So bottom line im not sure , it still is not clear.

There's a lot of inexpensive battery cases out there, but the trouble is getting them secured to your bike.

I lost the key to my battery lock, and wanted to secure the battery a little better anyway. As mentioned, even w/ these things locked down, it would be easy to rock the whole assy back and forth and break it off. I ended up going to an automotive parts store and buying two big stainless steel hose clamps, then buggered up the screws so that they can't be loosened up.

What will happen when I have to replace the battery? I'll deal with that every 2-3 years, no big deal. The idea is to just slow down and discourage the casual thief, because if someone wants something bad enough to steal it, you may as well make it difficult for them.

l335LtS.jpg

There are cheap tools to defeat any measure.

Slow down the unprepared, best anyone can do

hi could any one link me what battery case that has pure nicke sheet (sloted) that fits already with its holder

i can t find it yet

Back