What is the best motor for a mid drive build?

azad

10 W
Hi,

when it comes to building an ebike multiple factors come to mind; performance, efficiency, weight, cost and availability of parts. If performance is to be moderate (i.e. 25-30km/h) then what motor comes to mind for building a mid-drive? (MY1018 is one that is lightweight cost effective and moderate in performance however, recently I've burned one and not sure if this should be used). Infact, I am not even sure, if brushed motors should be used for this purpose however, I would like to know your views on the topic. Please point out any inexpensive motors available (preferably in EU).

markz said:
Astro
Cyclone
BBSHD
Lightning Rods
Sorry to join the band wagon guys, I'm asking the same question.

Please be a bit more detailed in the names as I struggle to find these, and links to seller threads or web pages would be great help also.

Thanks

Cheers
Tyler

azad said:
Hi,

when it comes to building an ebike multiple factors come to mind; performance, efficiency, weight, cost and availability of parts. If performance is to be moderate (i.e. 25-30km/h) then what motor comes to mind for building a mid-drive? (MY1018 is one that is lightweight cost effective and moderate in performance however, recently I've burned one and not sure if this should be used). Infact, I am not even sure, if brushed motors should be used for this purpose however, I would like to know your views on the topic. Please point out any inexpensive motors available (preferably in EU).
You can't beat the TSDZ2 on all that characteristics!! You will be amazed with the lightweight, performance, cost and advanced features typically from commercial ebikes!! Also note that TSDZ2 has integrated torque sensor.

See here how to install on MTB full suspension, Cargo bike, MTB kid, Trike or Hand cycle:
https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki

And don't forget to install our develop OpenSource firmware on the motor and on the display :)

casainho-ebike-2020.02.jpg

You can use this popular displays color 860/850C or Bluetooth SW102:

[youtube]eDENZS4pHvo[/youtube]

[youtube]q0N5W3Fgyjk[/youtube]

01.jpg

ICE-Adventure-2B.jpg

v0.20.0-Handcycle-Coaster-Brk.jpg

I've had almost five excellent years with a BBS02 mid-drive on a hardtail steel frame with 52V battery. IMO, for off road riding it is less vulnerable than the options except the Revel Propulsion system.

The Bafang BBSHD has been great for me plus there are all kinds of upgrades available from Luna, Grin Tech, and other companies. California Ebike carries every part in the motor should you ever need to replace anything and other companies carry the common stuff. Lekkie sells the motor sprockets from 28 teeth on up. Very simple to install with the only exposed gears being the sprocket on the motor that drives the chain...unlike some other kits like the Lightning Rod that has several exposed gears, chains, belts.

Whats so special about the Lekkie chain ring?
Is it just that its offset or is it the narrow-wide teeth or combo of both or is there something more to the secret spice mix?

Bullfrog said:
Lekkie sells the motor sprockets from 28 teeth on up. Very simple to install with the only exposed gears being the sprocket on the motor that drives the chain...unlike some other kits like the Lightning Rod that has several exposed gears, chains, belts.

And "Bling" is expensive

https://lekkie.tech/product/bling-ring-hd-42t/
$125.00 usd
Offset 18.3mm – see User Manual for more information
Lekkie Bling Rings are optimised for the best chain line, with spacers available when needed.
As it is the only front chain ring, a narrow wide tooth pattern can be used to eliminate chain derailment and increase durability by thickening the teeth. 7075 Heat treated alloy means we can get the weight to a fraction of the stock steel ring but retain the tooth hardness.

999zip999 said:
It's bling !

Bling Plus chef shifter interrupter, the lights ,everything else you might need to go with that motor it could be up to 1500 bucks just for the mid drive with accessories. Plus batteries'

markz said:
Whats so special about the Lekkie chain ring?
Is it just that its offset or is it the narrow-wide teeth or combo of both or is there something more to the secret spice mix?

Bullfrog said:
Lekkie sells the motor sprockets from 28 teeth on up. Very simple to install with the only exposed gears being the sprocket on the motor that drives the chain...unlike some other kits like the Lightning Rod that has several exposed gears, chains, belts.

Lekkie is the only one making a 28T chain ring for the BBSHD plus they are pretty good quality BUT they are kind of pricey.

I use the 28T chain ring with a 22T White Industries Trials Freewheel and run my bike as a single speed when riding off road with my BBSHD that has a 60A controller. Top speed is about 19-20 mph and acceleration from a stop is nice. Any faster and trees start to jump out in front of me :lol: .

You can get the Lekkie parts a little cheaper if you order them directly from Lekkie and have them shipped via snail mail.

Back