BBSHD 100mm or 120mm kit for a 100mm bb?

kauaicycler

Administrator
I have a Electra Lux 7d fat tire donor bike that I plan on doing a BBSHD build with. This will be my first build and I'm ordering the kit from em3ev. Measuring the bottom bracket with my trusty tape measure says it 3 7/8 inches or 98.425mm. So it looks like I should get the 100mm kit. Is there any advantages/disadvantages in ordering a 120mm kit? It seems putting the 120mm kit would be more flexible in installations and possibly chainlines using spacers etc. I know a few members here have done this build so I'm wondering what your thoughts are. I plan on flipping the motor up into the triangle as done in other builds with this bike. Any gotchas to watch for in this build I might of missed in the builds I've read?

Thanks!

100mm. Why not buy from Doug at California eBike and have a USA motor with USA warranty coverage?

tomjasz said:
100mm. Why not buy from Doug at California eBike and have a USA motor with USA warranty coverage?

Why 100mm?

I couldn't find any usa motors at https://california-ebike.com/ only Bafang which is a chinese motor. Do you have any links?

I wish I could afford to buy from him. I read some posts here about him and he seems awesome. I would love to support one of the pioneers.

markz said:
Who knows whats going on in China with the Kung Flu Virus. Best to support your own country men, I agree.

I'm on a budget and em3ev is the only reputable vendor I could find within my price range. Right now a complete kit cost $754.48 (USD) with 3 day shipping. Lunacycle, California ebikes don't even come close. I would love to buy American but I don't have an extra $100-$300 to buy American. Shipping does have me concerned so I will verify that before I purchase. If you have any links I would appreciate it.

Aside from your opinion about where I should buy do you have any advice on the size question I posted?

AFAIK, the BBSHD, like the BBS02, has a symmetry problem with the right crankarm 10 - 15 mm farther from the seatstay than the left. The 120 mm BB would allow you to realign this, but your "Q" factor would increase. To me, the more preferable solution (that I have on my BBS02) is Lekkie crank arms which resolve this situation (and cost about $100).

2old said:
AFAIK, the BBSHD, like the BBS02, has a symmetry problem with the right crankarm 10 - 15 mm farther from the seatstay than the left. The 120 mm BB would allow you to realign this, but your "Q" factor would increase. To me, the more preferable solution (that I have on my BBS02) is Lekkie crank arms which resolve this situation (and cost about $100).

What is the "Q" factor?

Thanks

kauaicycler said:

wwww.ebikes.ca has some great deals going on, you can get a Satiator charger for as low as $155cdn, which is a few buck usd, when you buy a battery which is also on sale. Its very tempting.

markz said:
wwww.ebikes.ca has some great deals going on, you can get a Satiator charger for as low as $155cdn, which is a few buck usd, when you buy a battery which is also on sale. Its very tempting.
Yes!
That's why I'm planning on getting the battery and a satiator from them. Great to support them and get a great deal at the same time.

I hope they still have them when I'm ready to purchase.

Thanks!

Well the sale is obviously due to the Kung Flu China Virus, gotta pay the rent and utilities and have the core essential employees salaried up while the other employees can milk JT's relief fund.

"Q" factor is the distance between the right and left crank arms. Lower numbers are preferable for some individuals to some degree. Look up Sheldon Brown.

2old said:
"Q" factor is the distance between the right and left crank arms. Lower numbers are preferable for some individuals to some degree. Look up Sheldon Brown.

Thanks! That was very helpful.

If you check out the entire cost with shipping et al, Doug California eBike is competitive. He answers the phone and email promptly.

Every day he has calls for support from buyers that purchased elsewhere. And there is no support or support takes 3 days.

Why not a battery from EM3ev? Great builds.

markz said:
Those Electra Lux's are sure nice
How does it ride?

Well I don't have much of a reference since my last bike was a 10 speed Huffy over 40 years ago but I love it. For such a big bike I'm surprised how light it feels. That's all about to change when I put a 12 lb motor and 12 lb battery on it. :D

tomjasz said:
If you check out the entire cost with shipping et al, Doug California eBike is competitive. He answers the phone and email promptly.

Every day he has calls for support from buyers that purchased elsewhere. And there is no support or support takes 3 days.

Why not a battery from EM3ev? Great builds.

I bought my kit from EM3ev because I liked their batteries and I wanted a complete kit from one vendor for my first build. I ordered my kit on 4/15/2020 and received the last item (the battery by ground) on 5/31/2020. I knew it would take awhile but I had faith in EM3ev. The standard cable for the bbshd wasn't long enough for my large frame so I had to wait on the build until the longer cable came in. In the meantime I mounted the motor upside down inside the frame as spinning magnets did on his build and fabricated a battery support for the triangle battery. The cable came in late yesterday so today I finish my build. I will start a build thread for this project when I'm done. :D

kauaicycler said:
I bought my kit from EM3ev because I liked their batteries and I wanted a complete kit from one vendor for my first build. I ordered my kit on 4/15/2020 and received the last item (the battery by ground) on 5/31/2020.

Doug sells only EM3ev batteries.

Back