Taking apart stealth to ship when I move

Crungerfl

1 µW
Any thoughts or ideas on best way to take apart and ship stealth bomber, possibly in pieces? Im really trying to avoid crate shipping and motorcycle/car shipping. Im not actually moving, just sending my stealth from my house to a vacation home across the country.

I've shipped a bike overseas.
What I did was to go to a bicycle superstore an ask for an empty shipping box before they knock it down. I spiffed the guy who builds the bikes to more or less keep it intact by cutting it at the bottom. For you maybe a fat bike box might work out. All I had to do was take off the frt. whl. and h.bars, then stuff the empty spaces w/ little parts and shipping paper. It's not that big and one option would be send it w/ a moving Co. Might take a while that way thru.
I would take the battery out.
Actually, trying to ship the batt. might be a problem, not sure these days.

I never shipped any, but had many bikes shipped to me. Not ebikes, but the DH bikes that I am building on.

They all came in standard bicycle boxes, identified as such. The only parts removed were wheels, pedals, handlebar and fork. On most, the headset was left in the head tube tied with a tie wrap, in order to make the re-installation of the fork quick and easy. The axles were put back in place after the wheels had been removed. A double cardboard spacing sheet was between the bike and the parts that were bubble wrapped. Some boxes were filled with foam peanuts. I believe there is a flat rate to ship a bicycle standard box, but an ebike being heavier, some additional fees might apply.

The batteries should be shipped separately according to regulations for packaging and warning stickers. If you leave them with the bike, it will be at your own risk.

Shipping the battery legally may be the real problem. Id be inclined to bike box the frame, then send the hub in a separate box.

dogman dan said:
Shipping the battery legally may be the real problem. Id be inclined to bike box the frame, then send the hub in a separate box.

When there are no borders to cross, battery shipping regulations are not that bad. For land shipping at least, here they just require identification and warning stickers.

FME, shipping a battery larger than 300 wh is a big problem. If it's not shipped through an appropriate HAZMAT broker, the fine can be $50,000 in the US (if I assessed the situation properly). Ended up, the nearest place I could locate was 100 miles away, so scuttled the project.

Back