Dash cam

Didcot

1 mW
Wondering if anyone's fitted or considered fitting a motorcycle dash cam to an ebike? I recently fitted a Tongsheng motor and was looking around for dashcam and came to the conclusion that a motorcylce dashcam could be ideal for an ebike rather than a typical bicycle type.

i dont have a dashcam on my bike, but i do have a gopro on my helmet. always good to have proof.

Youtube has a lot of vids of mountain and ebiking, using GoPro type cameras. While not dashcam cameras, they do work well.

Around 15 years ago I saw a tadpole bike with a pusher trailer, at a bike shop. The owner used a rear facing camera similar to a GoPro, to record vehicles that buzzed him. He rode his tad on rides like San Antonio to Austin, the back roads are very narrow in some places on this ride.

Front and rear facing dashcam cameras should be ideal for recording rides.

yeah, a rear facing would be good, too, the last time i got hit it was someone coming up from behind. if i was going to do one, i would do a bike mounted rear facing and forward facing helmet mounted. good to have something on you as well in case you get separated from your bike. (same goes for lights at night.)

I had set fr and rr cams on the first ebike I built. One didn’t survive the first ride, and the second was lost in a crash one week later. :|

Today I build with minimal accessories. I figured I only need to know volt and temp after all, and my bikes are much more reliable when built as simple and robust as possible.

I believe helmet cams are the best way to record a ride, but the features of DashCams are interesting for city commuting.

mounting cameras can be a pain, factory mounts sometimes do not withstand shakes and I would hate to smash brand new camera worth over 100 bucks.
mounting on helmet when you have to take it off often is not practical in my book.
mounting on ebike attracts thief
I think the best would be minature camera hidden in frame, box attached to frame.

miro13car said:
mounting cameras can be a pain, factory mounts sometimes do not withstand shakes and I would hate to smash brand new camera worth over 100 bucks.
mounting on helmet when you have to take it off often is not practical in my book.
mounting on ebike attracts thief
I think the best would be minature camera hidden in frame, box attached to frame.

I had that concern when getting mine. I used to lock my helmet up with my bike when shopping etc. Nowadays I just wear it in.

I have a full face helmet with integrated cam but I have to admit that I never wear it. My light weight carbon DH helmet came with a Go-Pro cam mount but I took it off the first day. I just abandoned the idea of filming my rides. Good riding films anyway, need to be a view from the rider behind you.

They got drones that will self fly and lock onto a subject, its fairly new technology and its looks neat and cool when its done properly with anti-shake. I bet the price tag for something like that is up there, probably buy a new motor or phaserunner controller for what they'd want to boost your ego by filming yourself riding.

I used to use a regular digital camera to video CrazyBike2's rides to various places around town, just to get some of the crazy / stupid things drivers do on camera so others could see what I had to deal with...but because its' a big cargo bike, I didn't get much of the behaviors compared to riding regular bikes.

Thought about it for the SB Cruiser trike, but it's large enough that I get almost none of the dumb stuff done to me that would happen on a regular bike. Maybe someday, if a reliable, small, hi-def camera setup that will do "all four sides" is really cheap.

Back