very large flickr photo of two Pi ebikes, interesting

voicecoils

1 MW
Found this while flickring through some photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/3593998394/sizes/o/

I've seen the Pi ebikes before and they're a very interesting design. Their website is scant on photos so this gave me a lot of insight. Two configurations are seen. One is a dual hub motor bike (perhaps 9cont motors). The other uses a hubmotor much like the stokemonkey does.

The bike quality appears very high, including some low-volume or one-off parts like the CND'd swingarm. I like what the Pi guy is doing :D even though the design is quite out there.

The different drives are easy enough. My concern with the Pi has always been about the steering, and those 2 examples aren't a lot of help despite the great level of detail.

Regarding the chick, it's hard to catch my attention if not 4ft tall, no teeth, and a flat head (to set your beer on), ie the perfect woman. Sorry but I have total disregard for political correctness, so sensitive individuals should disregard my feeble attempts at humor, no matter how factual they may be. :D

John

I like the external hub version - it's just too bad it doesn't seem to have suspension that's needed for higher speeds on bumpy roads. :(

John in CR said:
My concern with the Pi has always been about the steering

Can you explain what you mean by this? Or rather, could you explain what about the design of the bike would indicate that it might not steer properly?

Personally, I think these bikes are beautiful and very clever in every detail, from the way the bars clamp on to the integrated fender, but I'd never be able to buy one... they're TOO pretty! I'd be too scared of crashing/scratching/damaging/losing it to even ride it :D - it has an air of sculpture to it, and i'm sure it would become a fixture in the house and not a mode of transportation.

Also, anyone have any idea what the second seatpost thingy is on the external-hub bike?

It looks to me like there are two parallel bits allowing the seat to be moved fore-and-aft without changing seat pitch angle. Their web site does indicate it's a suspension seat, so maybe that second bit is a shock absorber, in which case the pitch angle would seem to change to absorb the shock (like the old style bike seats that hinge at the front and have big coil springs at the rear).

They claim 30mi (50km) range on 36V 10Ah NiMH. Hhmmm.

swbluto said:
I like the external hub version - it's just too bad it doesn't seem to have suspension that's needed for higher speeds on bumpy roads. :(

There is a trailing link suspension on the front of the mid-drive bike. The seat looks like it has an angle adjustment that may also be a suspension strut.

Is that a geared/freewheel motor on the front wheel of the background bike?

mrgarci1 said:
John in CR said:
My concern with the Pi has always been about the steering

Can you explain what you mean by this? Or rather, could you explain what about the design of the bike would indicate that it might not steer properly?

Personally, I think these bikes are beautiful and very clever in every detail, from the way the bars clamp on to the integrated fender, but I'd never be able to buy one... they're TOO pretty! I'd be too scared of crashing/scratching/damaging/losing it to even ride it :D - it has an air of sculpture to it, and i'm sure it would become a fixture in the house and not a mode of transportation.

Also, anyone have any idea what the second seatpost thingy is on the external-hub bike?

I'd really need to see one in person, but there's something about the angle and placement of the headset pivot relative to the wheel and fork that doesn't feel quite right to me. Look at the joint between the fork and frame on the bike in the near field, and think about how that has to turn. I may be off base but the form is beautiful, and if there was choice made between form and function, it's quite likely that function would be sacrificed to maintain the form. I'm not knocking the Pi, I just wouldn't buy one with trying it first.

John

Yeah, looking at the one in the foreground, I kind of see what you mean - I feel like it would steer like a chopper maybe... would def. need to test-ride it before buying.

John in CR said:
I'd really need to see one in person, but there's something about the angle and placement of the headset pivot relative to the wheel and fork that doesn't feel quite right to me. Look at the joint between the fork and frame on the bike in the near field, and think about how that has to turn. I may be off base but the form is beautiful, and if there was choice made between form and function, it's quite likely that function would be sacrificed to maintain the form. I'm not knocking the Pi, I just wouldn't buy one with trying it first.
I think there's a deceptive impression caused by the trailing link suspension and the bike's relatively slack head angle in combination with the curved design element. If you look at the actual head angle (as exhibited by the visible section of steer tube) and the actual location of the front axle (not the suspension pivot), you can fill in the blanks with a fork of normal geometry. Yes, there is a lot of fork offset, but a slack head angle needs a lot of fork offset to handle normally.

Dee Jay said:
But functional as the Segway :?

What exactly about the Segway is non-functional? Have you tried one? They're LOADS of fun, and are a pretty amazing piece of engineering, not prone to malfunction and very sturdy (especially the offroad models).

As far as practicality goes, well, you can make your own call on that. But I took a Segway tour through the San Diego zoo and would say that for that application, it was more practical than any other option - you can cover larger distances faster than walking, and the things are silent enough to get really close to the wildlife.

/rant

Hi, mrgarci1.

I hope I didn't upset you. It was just an honest opinion.

I can't say I've tried a segway but I think I never will for obvious reasons

- very little cargo space

- No seat. How would you want to ride around standing up?

- Won't buy one because it is an expensive amusement product that lacks the two important things mentioned above. It's a yuppy toy.

- Sure, the engineering is a BFD. But really, what's the point in the balancing act?My guess: because if you build a seat on it would affect its amusing balance act. Even if they successfully built a seat on it, (No offense to wheelchair users) then you'd look like you're riding a wheelchair. I can imagine wheelchair users would pretty bothered by the fact that perfectly able people are riding wheelchairs. And with a seat, I think it would be pretty hard to bail out if you somehow lost balance on a turn.

- But most of all.. total lack of elegance.

J

I'll take the dual hubby version. With the suspension fork and pedals from the other one. And throw in a segway. Both for 98% off K thx.

Dee Jay said:
I hope I didn't upset you. It was just an honest opinion.

Not at all my friend, I just had the chance to ride a segway a few months back and just geeked the f*ck out over it - they are unbelievably cool to mess around on. We can agree definitely agree that practicality is definitely an issue (and I'll never buy one for the reason's you've pointed out - unless I ever win the lotto and buy a house big enough to require one to get from room to room). My point was, they're completely functional, just not particularly useful for most people. BUT - if you get a chance to ride one, forget what you look like, swallow your pride and do it - you'll look like an idiot (I sure did) but you'll enjoy it like you enjoyed your first ride on an e-bike.

BTW, I'll have to PM you some links to a few of my DJ mixes - they're quite a departure from yours ;)

George WB gave a Segway to former Prime Minister Koizumi :lol: .

As if GWB was really going to impress the only culture that nearly perfected balance and motor skills of a truly bipedal humanoid robots like Honda's Asimo and Sony's Qrio.

*scoff*

How embarrassing !

Or perhaps it was GWB's way of telling the PM that we are seriously running out of oil so he better get used to looking like dork, ha ha!

My sister and her family rode them while touring Paris of all places ha ha!

I can see where the Segway would be useful in large homes and compounds.

Hey, I'm very interested to hear your mixes. Feel free to post them on my DJ mix thread!

Oh yeah, Vanilla Ice, Hail "Bob" !! :wink:

/ thread jacking

J

Back