New to this

soundguy

100 µW
I'm thinking about converting a Day 6 Journey (pedal forward) bike to e-bike with Bafang BBSo2. I don't think that the conversion itself is going to be a problem. What I want to know is whether there is an included throttle to use it as an electric scooter. Thanks. :)

soundguy said:
I'm thinking about converting a Day 6 Journey (pedal forward) bike to e-bike with Bafang BBSo2. I don't think that the conversion itself is going to be a problem. What I want to know is whether there is an included throttle to use it as an electric scooter. Thanks. :)

Depends on the kit you buy, but many here would suggest you buy the BBSHD.

https://day6bikes.com/journey/
Such an odd looking bike, its a bicycle with a recumbent'ish seat and that fork with its odd angle.
the Nexus 8 is a nice feature, along with the disc brakes.

How many miles do you plan to ride?
Any hills?
Total price?

Yeah, "crank forward" is one term for that. I wouldn't much care for it as a bicycle, but for a scooter it could do OK.

A real recumbent will have lower wind resistance - and if it has the same kind of handlebar stem, the fork would lean even farther back, but the majority of designs are like that and people seem to consider them quite ridable. But that's somewhat beside the point.

If you're looking at a BBS02 for sale, and it doesn't mention a throttle or option for a throttle, keep looking. You will want a complete kit, from someone who knows what's in a complete kit.

Great comments. The reason I went the way of the Day 6 was because my strength and coordination were diminishing, and I was having trouble getting my leg up over the seat and bar. I was also having trouble with having to lean over so far from my shoulders down and especially on my arms, wrists, and hands. The balance problem got a bit worse, and while with family traveling in Hawaii, and on a fairly long bike ride, on the return trip, I had to walk the bike the rest of the way, if I remember, it was close to a mile. That's pretty darn good or someone who is in the physical condition I am in an have been for a long time for a number of reasons. The biggest part of that situation was that I just couldn't get going fast enough. I had converted the bike to a trike with a kit. Someone mentioned it not being aerodynamic. It's not supposed to be. It's not meant for mountain biking, racing, or serious distance riding. I was pretty pleased with myself as it involved getting another 7 speed internal gear hub and mounting a drive sprocket to the flange on the hub. It was just the hub. I got lucky and got it close enough to center that you would not be able to detect any problem when riding. I have a new wrinkle into this in that I broke my wrist a little obr 3 months ago, and it's just not coming back the way I'd like. Upshifting the gear shift is going to be hard. The only good thing about the whole thing is that it's my right (non dominant) hand involved

markz said:
soundguy said:

Depends on the kit you buy, but many here would suggest you buy the BBSHD.

https://day6bikes.com/journey/
Such an odd looking bike, its a bicycle with a recumbent'ish seat and that fork with its odd angle.
the Nexus 8 is a nice feature, along with the disc brakes.

How many miles do you plan to ride?
Any hills?
Total price?

So far as how many miles, I don't know, probably not a lot. The bike is actually considered a semi-recumbent bike. The front forks have to be out that far to clear the pedals and frame. Most truly recumbent bikes have the seat very low, not the greatest for older folk, and the pedals up anf forward of the wheel. I've tried a smaller wheel up front, but the ?rake? was off and mad the steering unstable, along with the pedals being too close to the ground. BTW, the semi recumbent design is fairly commonly used in the recreational trikes commonly used by seniors.

So far as the suggestion for the BBSHD, I looked it up and the choices are basically full twist right hand. Does that mean it can only go on the right handle? I've lost most of the grip in my right hand after breaking my wrist 3 months ago I have the shift levers on the right and that's going to be enough of a challenge upshifting. I was hoping to put it on the left side along with the brake. so far as steering, I can hook my fingers well enough on the bar, but just can't grip it well because I can't close my fingers very well. Well, I'll figure something out.

https://lunacycle.com/bafang-half-twist-throttle-left-side/

https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbshd-and-bbso2-universal-thumb-throttle/

soundguy said:

I have installed a bunch of BBS02s and BBSHDs, and all of them came with some kind of throttle. Usually you get a choice of style when you order. I reckon if you don't get to pick one, the seller will probably include the Wuxing 130X ambidextrous thumb throttle.

What size and where do you plan on putting the battery it's good to think all this out ahead of time and see if it fits you can make a cardboard box the size of the battery enclosure and see if it fits will you think it should fit. Do this before you buy your battery. Your bike will work out okay as you much like what you ride being comfortable how to get your leg through and yes they do have left hand throttles.

You can put the throttle on the left, but its just weird, you will roll it forward to go faster instead of back. That should work better with a half twist throttle than with a thumb type throttle.

Hard searching could turn up a left hand throttle, but they are rare.

Humans can get used to anything, so no worries. For now, just run a right throttle on the left.

Shifters can be changed to anything, including old school on the frame shifters. Get whatever works for you best, and adapt. Hopefully you will get more out of that right hand eventually, but for now just do whatever seems to work for you. Maybe just another type of shifter on the right will work ok for you. Assume you have a twist type now. Try a handle bar mount lever.

dogman dan said:
You can put the throttle on the left, but its just weird, you will roll it forward to go faster instead of back. That should work better with a half twist throttle than with a thumb type throttle.

Hard searching could turn up a left hand throttle, but they are rare.

Humans can get used to anything, so no worries. For now, just run a right throttle on the left.

Shifters can be changed to anything, including old school on the frame shifters. Get whatever works for you best, and adapt. Hopefully you will get more out of that right hand eventually, but for now just do whatever seems to work for you. Maybe just another type of shifter on the right will work ok for you. Assume you have a twist type now. Try a handle bar mount lever.

No, I have the ?Shimano? thumb and trigger shifter. Thumb on the back to upshift, and trigger on the back to release a notch at a time. I may have to twist it around so that the trigger is in front as I think I have enough strength in the forefinger. Either that or extend the thumb lever so that it's easier to push. Yeah, longer stroke. I can't use a twist shift because I don't have enough grip to turn it. Braking:

I only have a brake on the front wheel. The reason? It's a conversion kit to trike, one of the ones that part of it is bolted onto the rear shaft with tabs that sit on the frame. i was going to submit a picture of the rear end and how I took another Shimano hub (no roller brake) and managed to line up a sprocket on the flange of the opposite side and bolt it on. So now two chains. One from the front sprocket to the drive sprocket on the hub and the second from the driven sprocket (bolted to the flange) to the sprocket on the sprocket on the shaft of the conversion. Basically this just has a shaft through the frame with a keyway for the sprocket. I forget how, but one wheel is anchored to the shaft. There's no way to rig a brake out to either of the back wheels. If anyone wants to tell me how to do it, I'll post a picture, but there isn't much shown but the two axles and drive setup Tomorow, later today, I'll get a pick of more of that and the conversion.

I have several questions for you all.

Is the throttle a variable speed or just on/off

How critical are the gear and brake sensors? Won't the drive stop when you stop pedaling? I understand there are two types of sensing for the drive I can't remember the name of the one Bafang normally uses by whether the pedals are turning, and the torque sensor that some of the other ebikes have. Does anyone know if there is yet a torque sensor out yet for the Bafang? If you haven't read my other recent post, I the gearing is a 7 speed internal hub.

I saw something where a new pinion gear has come out made of aluminum to replace the plastic one in the BBSHD. Has anyone ever needed to replace that pinion? If so, does it still need to be done or have they made that change in production?

Lemme get this right. You have a Day 6 semi-recumbent bike with a trike subframe added to it, and you're putting on a BBS02?

You need to be careful. Regular BBS02 speed is sliding-on-your-face-with-your-trike-on-top-of-you speed. Use the lowest gearing you can accommodate. Don't let the motor's easy speed carry you out of the range your trike is competent in.

The controller that comes with your BBS02 will allow you to limit the top speed at which it provides assist. I recommend 15 mph for a narrow granny trike.

Throttle is variable speed, but its response is usually pretty abrupt. Different throttles exhibit more or less sensitivity.

You don't need brake sensors, but they're a decent safety feature. You don't need a gear sensor, but it might keep you from lunching your gearhub by shifting under motor power.

The motor power cuts off maybe a half second after you stop pedaling, or instantly if you pedal backwards at all.

Re shifters, you still can replace your shifter with a lever type shifter, which can also be located on the left side.

I mean old school shifter, just a simple lever that mounts on the bars. They come in left and right. You can adapt the bike better to your needs if you have trouble with shifting.

dogman dan said:
Re shifters, you still can replace your shifter with a lever type shifter, which can also be located on the left side.

I mean old school shifter, just a simple lever that mounts on the bars. They come in left and right. You can adapt the bike better to your needs if you have trouble with shifting.

That's called a thumbshifter. It's a term from long before there were two-button index trigger shifters that you poke at with your thumb.

6639586649_a82e7bc8f1_b.jpg

That's not a good idea for an internal gear hub like the OP has, unless there's such a shifter specifically for that model of hub. (I have one for the 5 speed gearhub on my cargo bike.)

For derailleur gearing, any shifter will do, as long as it's not specifically for a different number of speeds.

Yeah, the thumb and trigger lever that I have replaces the twist grip shifter that I had and works perfectly with it.
images

I cant get pictures to upload. I've tried both through attachments, and through the picture link above

Back