Been away a while... how dumb would it be to buy this?

rocwandrer

100 W
I want something to use in the woods only for fun. I'm usually that guy who knows stuff and wants to know more just for fun and is helping other people in the situation I find myself in now. Now I really just want to be reality checked by people who know way more than me on this one.

What if I just bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/313231072117 in 27.5 with a battery for a 27.5 mtb with 135 dropouts to fit my frame? How stupid would that be? What is the obvious better choice that people who don't ask should have bought instead so I can not make the mistake?

More background:

Me: I'm ok with slow boat if it saves some money. I'm ok with spending a little more if it gets me more durability. I'm OK with a little DIY (It is mostly available time that holds me back). I will true and tighten the wheel if I buy a built wheel, for example. I built fat bike bike back in 2008-2009 and made it 2WD with a hub motor back in 2012 (sorta build-ish thread in my sig still, it looks like). It was mostly a commuter through the woods until I changed jobs. Then I fell away from this hobby.

Use: Low speed, short steep hills under assist. Very rough terrain. 230 lb rider. High quality US made full suspension frame (20 year old Ventana).

Edit: deleted image of my new fat bike and comment about not being able to power it because it is a thru axle frame, to avoid confusion.

markz said:
You'd need to go mid drive because that bike has through axles.
BBSHD is a good mid drive

The bike I want to power is an old bike that has a 135mm rear dropout.

What bike pics. Get a great battery as its the heart of the system. Look a volimart 35mm 1,500 watt kit for under 250.00 free shipping. Ask about 27.5 wheel if you get it warm but some stator 8 in there and it's still warm what's some cooling fins on it.

rocwandrer said:
What if I just bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/313231072117 in 27.5 with a battery for a 27.5 mtb with 135 dropouts to fit my frame? How stupid would that be? What is the obvious better choice that people who don't ask should have bought instead so I can not make the mistake?

Terrible value, don't buy it. You can get a $100-200 cheaper or better kit from chamrider aliexpress store.

These guys selling 48v 12ah kit for $640, chamrider selling their own xf15 500w geared hub for $540 with a 48v 24ah pack. Double the pack size for $100 less, both shipped and taxed.

Yeah that MXUS seems to be one of the best values at the moment. Ready to roll with KT controllers and ok batteries

There are a few good deals at the moment on BBS02son aliexpress with US stock for under 400 bucks as well no battery but I'd probably go straight for a lekkie ring or luna mighty mini for off road and then you add another 100 +/-

If you are able to do some wheelbuilding, there were a couple closeouts on eBay for BMC motors that include spokes that fit normal 26" rims for under 200 which also look interesting

Agree with that. That is the small geared motor. typical in 350w ( motor rating) kits. Run it on 1000w, 48v 20 amps controller, and its easy peasy to melt them. Did it easy on my motor testing for manufacturers ten years ago. You just need more copper, so you don't ride it quite so slow.

Spend a bit more on the larger, 500w motor rated geared motor, and it will ride off road quite well on 48v. Not as good as a mid drive, but good enough to not melt the damn thing. I have a motor of that type I started a test to destruction by riding off road years ago. That e bike kit motor is still running just fine. Its use has been exclusively off road, single track trails and roads. But not crazy steep ass logging roads, mule trails like the forest service built in the 1920's, or mine bulldozer trails. It handles regular built for bikes trails excellent. I weigh 200 pounds. btw.

If your bike has a rear disc brake, I'd run the 26" motor wheel on it. It will lower your pedals some, but not that much, and allow you to run a fatter tire, which brings your diameter back closer to original enough to not matter.

Ended up buying a new bike and going with a BBSHD install.

Back