Impure copper wiring in stock QS205?

mbgjt1

100 W
I have been watching a video by Cykonebike explaining how they change out the copper wiring inside the QS205 stock hub motor and replace it with higher quality copper with a higher purity.

This will allow the motor to accept much higher amps from the battery and controller without damaging the internal components.

This has got me thinking, what is the maximum amps we can push into a QS205 stock motor straight from the factory? I am planning to buy a Nuclear 24F controller, and planning to supply 200 - 250 Amps to the motor in short bursts (at a voltage of 72 to 92 V).

Will a stock motor be able to handle this current? On the datasheet it is rated for 100 to 120 A.

Link to video

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzhucASLiUs&vl=pl[/youtube]

The current handling will vary greatly with which winding of the motor it is, so it's impossible to answer the question without that information.

Yep. How much current you can feed a motor is more a factor of winding than materials quality.

Then, specs are not a limiting factor. We had been feeding 10kw to motors that were spec for 1kw. Power limits reality must be set in relation with time: how much for how long, before it does fry.

Back