cheap Chinese 36-72V headlight, horn, taillight

greenspark

100 W
Instead of adding a hub dynamo to my ebike, I decided to try one of these new 36-72v headlight/taillights. The good stuff seemed awfully expensive, better to try the cheap Chinese stuff first to make sure it was the right way to go. Here is my report.

I went on to AliExpress and bought an LED headlight/horn and tail light with switch. Of course, it came with no wiring instructions and the colors of the switch were not intuitive. So I had to work it out myself with alligator clips until I got it to work. Here's the wiring diagram:
Chinese LED.JPG

I bought a "Electric Bicycle Ebike Waterproof Led Light E Bike 12W Front Light Headlight Include Horn" for US$12.99 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32866057256.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1ced4c4dQBbGtQ
an "Onature Electric Bicycle Rear Light For E Bike Input DC6V 12V 18V 24V 36V 48V 60V Powerful Light for Bafang LED eBike Tail Light" for US$10.49 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966062796.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1ced4c4dQBbGtQ with low expectations. The cables are way too long, so I will chop and solder. But the lights are surprisingly bright - especially the tail light, and the horn is reasonably loud. The switch is standard Chinese stuff.

My battery has a waterproof connection, so tapping into it is not a great idea. But my charger connects to an Anderson connector, so I wired it into that. This ensures I turn it off when parked, as I have to unplug to charge the battery. No idea how long it will last, and it will be tested hard, as this is a bike that will only be used on the ferry boat with salt spray. I found the ferry was corroding my Italian steel frame bikes, so I picked up a 1999 Mercedes-branded brushed aluminium frame with aluminium rims, Gates belt drive and internal roller brakes. It had a dynamo that pressed onto the rear tire, but got in the way of the BBS-01 motor, so it had to go. Nowhere near as comfortable as my Italian-frame bike with EM3EV's largest 52v battery and BBS-HD, but the Mercedes with a small 36V battery weights a lot less, overall is smaller, yet will manage the limited range to get me to the carpark in town where I keep my car.

Looks cool if its bright enough. I tried a very cheap 48v one once, but it was dim. Had worthless led's in it.

Back