CA v3 - setting up power modes

benjamin84

100 W
Hi! Hope you guys have some wisdom to share on this subject. Long story short I have upgraded my Q140MD (72V 30Ah, QS205 motor, Kelly KLS7230S) with a new wiring harness which routes the throttle through the Cycle Analyst display, and gives me a lot more options.

I have set it up with Current Control (may change that to Power control but need to do more testing), however I'm curious what you all reckon is the best way to differentiate the 3 power modes. As I understand it the following parameters are most relevant for this and can be set individually for each mode:

- Max power
- Max current
- Throttle ramp up speed

The default setup has varied all 3 parameters, however that is designed for a speed control throttle, not current/power control. Has anyone got any experience with this they could share? My initial thought would be to only limit the max power setting, and use the power control throttle mode. That would give a similar "feel" with the throttle ramp up being the same, except that the bike is simply less powerful in the lower modes.

This would be my first guess at a setup, assuming my assumption about the max current and max power settings is correct:

Input Throttle Mode - Power (W)

High:
Max Current - 185 A
Max Power - 15 kW (won't be reachable when the voltage drops below 81 volts but I rarely ride full throttle anyway and would rather protect the battery instead of running more than 185 A)
Throttle Ramp Up - 8 V/s

Medium:
Max Current - 185 A
Max Power - 8 kW (will be the limiting factor here)
Throttle Ramp Up - 8 V/s

Low:
Max Speed - 25 kph
Max Current - 185 A
Max Power - 5 kW (limiting factor)
Throttle Ramp Up - 8 V/s

For all modes Throttle Ramp Down will be 10 V/s, currently set to 14 by default but I find it slams the front wheel down at the slightest let off so I want to soften this up a bit.

Edit: Did some testing in my home-office extended lunch break, and the settings above work really well. High is brutal, as it should be, medium is a nice medium where you can pop up the front wheel but have to actually intend to do it, and low is really mellow but still with enough torque to pull me up steep hills.

I might need to play around with the power gain setting though, currently I find the throttle response is a bit sluggish in low power mode, almost like a turbo-effect where you can nail the throttle, and get nothing nothing something.

Back