Walmart Hyper E-Ride torque-simulation possible?

hyper93

10 µW
Hello,

I have the same bike as described here https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108867&p=1594929&hilit=hyper+e+ride#p1594929

I am interested in adding a torque-simulation function to it. Is it possible to modify the existing controller to have the torque-simulation feature? Do I have to buy a KT controller in order to do this?

hyper93 said:
Hello,

I have the same bike as described here https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108867&p=1594929&hilit=hyper+e+ride#p1594929

I am interested in adding a torque-simulation function to it. Is it possible to modify the existing controller to have the torque-simulation feature?
No.

hyper93 said:
Do I have to buy a KT controller in order to do this?

No, you could also get a Cycle Analyst 3, and a controller with a throttle input. The CA will accept the input from a torque sensing bottom bracket, and translate that to a throttle signal for PAS. Of course, between the torque sensor, the CA, and the controller, plus misc parts to make it all work, you likely will double the cost of your bike. Any reason you can't enjoy it as is?

The KT open source option will still cost a couple hundred bucks, between the controller, torque sensor, and any misc parts.

So the cheapest option to get a torque simulation will cost 100? I am looking for finer control of the speed as the PAS is on-off right now.

From what I'm seeing I can get a KT-9 mosfet for $35 and an LCD3 for $35. Am I missing something else? The description of the LCD3 says it already has torque sim built in. What's the difference between the provided torque sim and the open source torque sim?

Note I'm not looking to buy a torque sensor - hence why i'm looking to save money using the torque-sim mode.

hyper93 said:
So the cheapest option to get a torque simulation will cost 100? I am looking for finer control of the speed as the PAS is on-off right now.

From what I'm seeing I can get a KT-9 mosfet for $35 and an LCD3 for $35. Am I missing something else? The description of the LCD3 says it already has torque sim built in. What's the difference between the provided torque sim and the open source torque sim?

Note I'm not looking to buy a torque sensor - hence why i'm looking to save money using the torque-sim mode.

The KT PAS works nicely, but don't expect the sim mode to actually work like torque sensing. If you're just looking for a little more adjustability, then the controller may get you what you want. If you flash the open source firmware, you may have some additional options as well.

So i could get away with just getting the KT-controller? I know it won't be torque sensing - i'm not looking to double the cost of the bike. As I understand it adjusts the PAS with the cadence which would be a big step up from on/off.

Oh you're going to have to replace the throttle, controller, maybe PAS sensor if it has one. This may require a lot of rewiring.

It is indeed a lot of work for such a cheap bike. Up to you on how bad you want that feature.

Honestly i'd just cut the PAS wire off and use the throttle only if the bike allows for it. No PAS is much better than crappy PAS.

It is a peddle assist only bike, no throttle. Why would I have to replace the PAS sensor?

hyper93 said:
It is a peddle assist only bike, no throttle. Why would I have to replace the PAS sensor?

neptronix said that you might need to change it, since there are different kinds, so they aren't all standard. If you get the KT controller, and LCD, then you'll probably be able to find a combination in the setup to work with most 3 wire PAS sensors (I can be configured for a left or right side PAS, number of magnets, and single/dual hall). You'll need to figure out the right wiring order regardless.

hyper93 said:

If it's a pedal assist only bike, then it has a pedal assist sensor ( PAS ). Your next controller would have to be compatible with the # of magnetic poles your current PAS has if you want to reuse it.

..but honestly, your results with a non-torque sending pedal assist sensor are probably going to be poor no matter how you configure it.

What would be nice and cheap is to fit a throttle if your controller supports one or at least has the solder pads to wire one in.

Yep, the 810LED's 3 level PAS on the Hyper bike can be crude if the PAS assist level doesn't match your desired cadence. On my first ebike, PAS 1 covered 12-14 mph, which was perfect for me. I've left it alone for five years although I've gone thru a whole buncha of controllers on other ebikes,

The KT controllers with 5 level PAS have a decent cadence. A 20A sine wave model is 35x61x97 mm if you're curious about it fitting in the frame.

Back