Thermo Nuclear 24F has a 4 - 5 month lead time! Any alternatives?

mbgjt1

100 W
I'm at the stage of my build where I need to buy a controller

Hub Motor: QS205 V3 (3T or 4T - still undecided) laced in a 17" moto wheel.
Battery: 22s14p 42Ah Samsung 30Q battery pack (79.2 V nominal voltage)
Frame: Qulbix 140r
Controller: ??
Rider weight: 75 kg

I wish to feed a maximum of 300 battery amps (not phase) into this motor for max acceleration (0 to 80 kmp in under 5 seconds).

I've looked at the Sabvoton SVMC 72200 but it is only rated for 200A (battery amps), 450 phase amps.

I've also looked at some Kelly controllers, but I've read a few threads where people are having trouble due to a start delay.

BAC 8000 is ridiculously expensive but looks like a perfect option for the build!

The Nuclear 24F controller seems to be amazing though!~ I would love to buy it but the 4 - 5 month lead time seems abit too long.

Any alternatives which are similar / better than the Nuclear. Should I wait? I

I am looking at something between 400 to 500 USD.

Any advice?

Put in your order for the Nucular.

Buy a cheap substitute - maybe from QS as a kit ?

to give sub optimal basics while you're waiting.

‘’Only rated 200 A battery’’ is enough to fry that motor, unless you have very good experience of frying motors and know by instinct how long (short) you can feed up to 250A to a QS205. Power limitation is not a good reason to buy a Nucular, because this power can be achieved much cheaper with many controllers. There are many other good reasons, but this one is not.

MadRhino said:
‘’Only rated 200 A battery’’ is enough to fry that motor, unless you have very good experience of frying motors and know by instinct how long (short) you can feed up to 250A to a QS205. Power limitation is not a good reason to buy a Nucular, because this power can be achieved much cheaper with many controllers. There are many other good reasons, but this one is not.

What advantages does the Nuclear have over other controllers? I assume the small form factor is one...

So you would recommend the Sabvoton to get that sort of power?

john61ct said:
Put in your order for the Nucular.

Buy a cheap substitute - maybe from QS as a kit ?

to give sub optimal basics while you're waiting.

Have you used the Nuclear controller? What are the advantages of it over the other controllers which have similar power outputs?

I'd go along with that - order the 24f.
programable without a laptop- throttle curves, rates, variable regen etc
Best controller I've ever owned by far - I have 2 and 3 more on order for various bikes.

What do you mean how?
22s ..... plug it in :)

90V is the spec'd "do not approach" max for internal components

For lithium-ion chemistries charged at 4.1-4.2Vpc, 20S is maximum recommended pack

Going 22s is pushing the limits.......good luck to you. Hit regen on a fully charged pack and you may let out the magic smoke.

Or this is just a great over engineered controller.

Tom

Well then as usual I must be wrong :roll:
I've only done this for the past few thousand miles - no magic smoke yet - set battery limit to 91.5V so no regen on full charge as with any controller.

I've got some spare ones anyway :lol:

Jonno

Back