Amy advantage to mid drive on a single speed vs geared hub motor

Manbeer

1 kW
As the title states, as a fun winter project I was looking on bikes direct at a 27.5 plus single speed to convert. not sure how much of a disadvantage I would be at running a mid drive seeing as how there is no gearing benefit but in the back of my mind I was thinking something like a TSDZ2 would be cool for the torque sensing pedal assist considering I won't be able to keep the most consistent cadence.

On one end of things I know that the geared hub motor sometimes don't take too well to a lot of sudden loose dirt to hooking up and jumps etc

On the other side, I know the bottom bracket isn't too beefy on the TS, the q factor can be a downside , And I probably would be a little bit down on power compared to something like the MXUS xf19c

So apples for apples, if I were to run a similar power level, which would you go for? This would be strictly for mtb and mostly used as a loaner bike to get friends and family out on the trail that otherwise wouldn't be able to keep up

No.

Single speed with a mid drive motor gives you all of the drawbacks of a mid drive, without the main advantages. The single advantage I can think of is weight distribution versus a rear hub motor, but that's not a big factor.

If reliability matters to you, stay well away from TSDZ2.

For a winter bike, I would expect 2wd with a front hub and rear pedal drive would be best, both for weight distribution and traction.

The advantage of a single gear mid drive is to build more power than usual mid drives are offering.

You then build on the left side, with a more robust drivetrain than bicycles, and a bigger motor that can give you much better acceleration and/or top speed than any of the ‘’toy size’’ BB drives.

Back