Planning first e-bike: Rigid DD Fatbike Commuter; please help w/ frame

fatty

10 kW
Hello,

I have stumbled across this forum many times over the years and appreciate the wealth of information; I'm now beginning to plan an e-bike myself. I used to commute on a fixed-gear crit bike, and love that it is reliable and light -- and therefore fast (though physically demanding). However, I was laid off for COVID and will need to commute farther, over surface roads in terrible condition, and arrive in presentable condition -- hence the e-bike plan.

I would like to preserve the reliability of my fixie while improving comfort; since I don't need to jump curbs or ride into potholes, I can avoid the cost and complexity of full suspension, and will instead use large diameter and volume pneumatic tires at low pressure to absorb shock from cracked streets. I will likewise use a direct drive hub for drivetrain reliability. Being powered and lacking suspension mitigates the disadvantages of these design choices.

I have some experience building race bikes and cars, where we sometimes select tires and powerplant, and build the car around them:
Since I will be commuting exclusively over (rough) pavement, the Vee Apache Fattyslick in 26x4.0 tubeless would be ideal.
Since I only need a single freewheel, I'll use use a big, reliable DD hub motor fitting standard 135mm dropouts. Assuming a Luna 72V 70A peak triangle pack and preferring acceleration to top speed:
QS only offers the 205 in 35H V1 = 1000W 85Nm, and a confusing/contradicting website
Crystalyte The Crown 65km/hr is 40mm = 113Nm, but only offerer direct in the TC65 with special spokes. Can the standard spoke TC4065 be sourced?
MXUS 3K Turbo V3 is 45mm and 142mm spacing could fit, but limited data and unsure if available
XOFO DD45 STD appears to be the best available 135mm option, roughly equivalent to TC4080

Motor Simulator shows the DD45 pulling >150A peak phase current. Adaptto MINI-E covers 180A peak phase current with fully adjustable regen, traction control, and cruise-control.

Finally, the two cheap standard 135x10mm horizontal track end bikes to build this on, the BikesDirect Gravity Deadeye Monster and State Bicycle Monolith are long since discontinued. Any other frames with standard 135x10mm horizontal track ends fit 26x4.5 tires?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hard to say about the Monolith, the rear looks like its not a regular style quick release. You need normal old school style drop outs to slide your motor into, and buy or make some torque arms. The QS and the MXUS 3kw are great options, you need to figure out what Turn Count of motor you'd need. How fast do you plan on riding?
Even though your down with riding single speed, ebikes you only really need a few gears, like a 1x7 and even then you only really use 3 or 4 gears which is helpful to save on battery power, helps you get up hills, helps starting off.

Surly Pugsley fat bike looks interesting to me, though its a 2x crank with 7/8/9 rear.
Check out this buildup, though mid drive its nice.
https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/builds/ebike-building-directions/25229-surly-pugsley-fatbike-with-bbhsd-and-52v-13-5-ah-panasonic-shark-pack

markz said:
Hard to say about the Monolith, the rear looks like its not a regular style quick release. You need normal old school style drop outs to slide your motor into, and buy or make some torque arms.

Monolith has horizontal dropouts rather than track ends. Won't 135x10mm horizontal dropouts still work?

markz said:
Surly Pugsley fat bike looks interesting to me, though its a 2x crank with 7/8/9 rear.

Yeah, but Pugsley is 12x142mm (17.5mm Offset). I wouldn't want to put 10mm axle flats in adapter washers. Can any of the above motors be ordered with 12mm axle flats?

Back