a bike shaped object walked into a bar...

Manbeer

1 kW
literally. yesterday i had a big cat come in with the following note: clunks when pedaling. not gears

about 10 seconds of looking and i see about a centimeter of lateral play in the cranks

went to remove the cranks and the threads were stripped. the shaft also had several o rings on it which didn't look original at all. spoke to customer and it hadn't been serviced for anything related but had recently been to the dealer for a battery replacement

odds are they saw the issue and attempted a makeshift fix but couldnt nail it down because...

the shaft wasnt straight!

the hole in the cups had worn to an oval. awesome

went to use my park tool 36mm wrench to loosen the cups. non drive came out fine, drive side stuck.

ended up using a hacksaw and file to make a keyhole slot and used steel bar to attempt to rotate it but it became evident it was overtightened or x threaded from the dealer or factory. i leaned into it with a 2 ft pipe before i decided to back off and rethink things

i called the customer and told them the price had gone way up because i risked damaging the frame and had to pretty much attack it with surgical precision and even at that it was a 50-50 chance of getting a decent outcome

mini sawzall and file and pick and a couple of hours later and all was good, dont have a bottom bracket that fit so i used another just to chase the threads after i followed the entire thing with a right angle pick to ensure any thread that was damaged was fixed to the best of my ability

sometimes these chinese produced bikes can wind up being more trouble then they are worth. in this case, if it wasnt close to 2k new and electric it would not be a sensible amount of money for them to dump into a repair. The parts spec is probably roughly equivalent to the lowest level of bikesdirect fat bikes And I can say after dozens and dozens Of bottom brackets that I have replaced, I have never encountered a trek/specialized/cannondale etc especially one without rust that I've required such drastic measures. the only other ones that have been an issue are the SE big ripper/om flyer etc That are kind of fun but generally built like garbage

interestingly enough, the big cat was a shengyi motor, though it was a bit odd to see it on the front (severely out of true) wheel

Attachments

• 24AB853B-601C-4CD5-AECE-04AF277FBCEB.jpeg
    24AB853B-601C-4CD5-AECE-04AF277FBCEB.jpeg
    519.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 9F79823D-50E6-4C82-8366-B8B613189164.jpeg
    9F79823D-50E6-4C82-8366-B8B613189164.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 252
  • FE6B15C6-C516-4DFC-AB9F-5B6C674B0ABD.jpeg
    FE6B15C6-C516-4DFC-AB9F-5B6C674B0ABD.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 252
Well when the word on the frame says BYKES instead of BIKES, its gotta make you wonder. And cheap chinese b.s.o.'s off of an ebay.alibaba.aliexpress basement/back-alley special no wonder it was outta whack.

So how much did you charge the poor suckah?

btw heres their website
https://www.bigcatbikes.com/
btw that area code is for Suffolk County, New York, the central and eastern part of Long Island.
No address listed, which gotta make ya wonder.
Heres their warranty info Mail to: 78 Academy St. Patchogue NY 11772
Of course you have to store inventory - https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7635324,-73.0098632,3a,75y,171.33h,91.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5W7opVrYAaSM_e1VINT8XQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

My guess is the basement dweller is rebranding generic ebikes from China. They seem to have a lot of selection.

interesting! i didn't realize that they were headquartered that close. i've passed the dealership on several occasions but always thought it was a chain or franchise

looks to be exactly that, tons of bikes in the lineup a lot of redundancy...its like the ordered a sampler of a manufacturers bikes and are testing to see which ones do well

i havent billed out yet but 300 sounds about right

Back