phaserunner error code 1-8

goatman

10 MW
im getting code 1-8
POST static gate test outside range

went to store no problem,
come out and no go
the throttle bar on the ca goes up and down.
i disconnected everything to check connections
put together and still no go

when i got home i hooked the bike upto the laptop and no error or faults being shown pr suite and no settings mentioning static gate.

im going to clear and reset the phaserunner to see if it works

i cleared it, the light was steady red on pr, touched throttle and code started flashing and pr suite showed error

GMjZEfm.jpg

im going to clear faults again, disconnect the ca3 and connect throttle straight to pr to see what happens

no ca3, throttle straight to pr same problem but i noticed PLL dampening stays highlighted in blue

TDQtAcV.jpg

if i hover cursor over PLL dampening i get another window describing what it does

***this parameter determines how much damping is present on the phase locked loop motor RPM tracking***

not sure what to do with this setting, i think easiest solution would be to wipe the phaserunner and reload default parameters from grin and then make my changes to the other settings again to the freewheeling, field weakiening, torque ramp rates etc

that didnt work, tried to do the autotune but got fault code again

good news is i think i figured it out

go to advanced setup page and in lower right corner youll see this, access level 3

KKqbiQe.jpg

hover cursor over POST and it mentions that if theres a conductive path between a phase wire and v+ or ground like when its pissing down rain, will cause the fault code.

sounds like i got water in my motor and somethings shorting???

i think it sends out 0.25v and if somethings wrong in the motor it shuts down

i rewired this motor a month ago, it still looks good, no water anywhere
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=103834&p=1597162&hilit=scorpion#p1597162

8ALc03l.jpg

do some continuity testing to see if i can find the problem

nope everythings fine with the motor

i have another phaserunner, ill go grab it tomorrow to see if the problem is with the phaserunner

i think the phaserunner is toast/fried

i disconnected the motor from the PR

turned it on

no error codes

touch the throttle and exact same 1-8 code

i didnt even realise there was no motor :?

any ideas?

i downloaded the Advanced export file and sent it to grin

went to phaserunner page at grin tech website to troubleshooting and saw this

POST Static Gate Fault (1-6 Flash): This fault occurs if there is some stray electrical conductivity detected between one of the phase wires and either the V+ or Gnd bus. It will occur if there is a blown mosfet, if the motor wire is nicked at the axle and is shorting a phase lead to the motor casing, or if is water ingress inside the motor causing paths for electrical connectivity with the phase wires. If this message shows up, disconnect the Phaserunner from the motor, apply the throttle, and look at each of the phase open circuit voltages from the edit parameter menu. They should be around 0.5 Vnom. If you see a value of 0.00 or 1.00 Vnom, then it usually means there is a damaged mosfet. If there is a value more like 0.2 or 0.8 Vnom, then you can increase the open circuit test window from the default of 0.25 up to about 0.4 and then it will operate fine again.

ill try that trouble shoot to see if Vnom is right

if you read the troubleshoot at the end of the last post
does that mean the phaserunner has a blown mosfet on the green phase?

6xTcsXW.jpg

now if go to grin tech troubleshoot mosfets

https://ebikes.ca/documents/BlownMosfets.pdf

my dmm has 20k not 10k

top pin flashed 19.14 then 0
right pin=0
left pin=0

at 200k
top pin= 42.1 after 1 minute it reads 79.4
right pin=88.6 after 1 minute 87.6
left pin=85 after 1 minute 84.1

negative to phase wires, . at 20k i get no readings

set to 200k

top mt60pin reads-54.9
bottom right reads-85.5
bottom left reads-86.5

grin returned my email suggesting i bump the level 3 parameter to 0.45, so i did

jNlsvDC.jpg

heres the numbers, green phase changed to .03???(up above it was 0.02)

XtrdGLi.jpg

went to home page of PR suite

dZjJSxA.jpg

turned throttle and error back

QZx4OEm.jpg

check the numbers

lttkHLd.jpg

Of course the controller is not going to drive the mosfets if one phase is at a very low voltage. Have you actually measured the open circuit phase voltages with the controller powered on?

I see you have measured the phase to supply negative resistance with a dmm and not found any shorts.

district9prawn said:
Of course the controller is not going to drive the mosfets if one phase is at a very low voltage. Have you actually measured the open circuit phase voltages with the controller powered on?

I see you have measured the phase to supply negative resistance with a dmm and not found any shorts.

thats what this picture is, look at-addr 294 and addr-287

6xTcsXW.jpg

and read this

They should be around 0.5 Vnom. If you see a value of 0.00 or 1.00 Vnom, then it usually means there is a damaged mosfet. If there is a value more like 0.2 or 0.8 Vnom

POST Static Gate Fault (1-6 Flash): This fault occurs if there is some stray electrical conductivity detected between one of the phase wires and either the V+ or Gnd bus. It will occur if there is a blown mosfet, if the motor wire is nicked at the axle and is shorting a phase lead to the motor casing, or if is water ingress inside the motor causing paths for electrical connectivity with the phase wires. If this message shows up, disconnect the Phaserunner from the motor, apply the throttle, and look at each of the phase open circuit voltages from the edit parameter menu. They should be around 0.5 Vnom. If you see a value of 0.00 or 1.00 Vnom, then it usually means there is a damaged mosfet. If there is a value more like 0.2 or 0.8 Vnom, then you can increase the open circuit test window from the default of 0.25 up to about 0.4 and then it will operate fine again.

it looks like the mosfet is fried,
ive been having issues with this bike doing a random power cut off
i rewired the motor and the issue kept happening randomly
til it just died

from what i understand of this fault 1-8

if theres a short in the motor, the phaserunner is supposed to shut down, kind of like GFI, right? and protect the mosfet
it seems to me like that circuit fried

now im trying to think whether i should connect another phaserunner to this motor
the motor seems fine, its like new inside

its either a defective phaserunner or something in the motor
i dont want to hook up another phaserunner and be out $700 of controllers in a year if that one fries

i guess i could pull the data on my other phaserunner bike to see what the readings are
then connect it to my trike with the blown phaserunner to see what the readings are

maybe i can detect a wiring fault in the motor by comparing numbers, the stray electrical conductivity should show itself, no?

i pulled the numbers from the phaserunner on my marin
then put that phaserunner on the trike
i didnt autotune i just wanted to get the readings to compare

page 1 marin

UG2wVDL.jpg

page 1 Trike

cMCkYNO.jpg

page 2 marin

eJ5x06k.jpg

page2 trike

ngFBCeq.jpg

now ill compare the blown PR when connected to motor on trike and good PR when connected to motor on trike

blown PR

XtrdGLi.jpg

good PR

ngFBCeq.jpg

addr 292,293,294
marin is clyte hs3540 and reads. 0.54,0.55,0.55
trike is a mxus xf40 and reads, 0.71,0.71,0.71
ive rewired both motors using the grin motor cable they sell

They should be around 0.5 Vnom. If you see a value of 0.00 or 1.00 Vnom, then it usually means there is a damaged mosfet. If there is a value more like 0.2 or 0.8 Vnom, then you can increase the open circuit test window from the default of 0.25 up to about 0.4 and then it will operate fine again.

i wonder if the mxus reading 0.71 with the default at 0.25 will fry that circuit
if you keep tripping a breaker its going to get weak and fail is my thinking

i could try putting the default to 0.40 and run it on the trike and if the random loss of throttle i was experiencing before it died disappears, im good to go???

ya the other phaserunner is fried
but my thinking is, if i change the default to 0.4 from 0.25 then i shouldnt fry another one with the mxus motor

im trying to figure out WHY the phaserunner died and thats all i can think of

it would be nice to know why, so i dont fry another one

when i took the readings from the marin/hs3540, the PR was connected to a 48v/13s battery
the Trike was 60v/17s battery
so i decided to hook the marin/hs3540 to the PR with a 60v/17s battery to see what the readings are

48v marin 0.54,0.55,0.55
60v marin 0.73,0.73,0.73
60v trike 0.71,0.71,0.71

so the voltage changes with the higher voltage battery

edHjwNQ.jpg

9QrEwKi.jpg

now this is weird
i grabbed the blown Phaserunner, hooked it up just to see
and its working? not 100%
this phaserunner lives outside 24/7, rain, freezing temperatures
i wonder if its sucked moisture in through the wires and needed to stay in the house 48hrs and warm up/dry-out?

heres the numbers for the "blown" phaserunner at 60v/17s

first numbers without touching throttle 0.73,0.73,0.67

after touching throttle and releasing 0.73,0.73,0.69

working moisture/cold. i went to dashboard screen and turned throttle to max until, hall stall warning appeared, then released throttle and repeated 10x
new numbers 0.73,0.73,0.71

repeat 5x 0.73,0.73,0.72

repeated another 10x but no change. try it again tomorrow

sFqKnbF.jpg

saoI2FQ.jpg

uxmRhDC.jpg

jX6Vy11.jpg

otXCNy8.jpg

i warmed up the oven to 110f? turned it off and put the phaserunner in on the rack, closed the door and went to bed

now the phaserunner reads 0.73,0.73,0.73

EOW3yEm.jpg

after doing hall stall a couple times went back to Dev Screen and new addr/data was available
look at addr 306,307,308

NCXKmAb.jpg

i wiped the phaserunner down with alcohol and spray 2 coats of plastidip on it.

i want to seal the seam where the potting meets the metal

zvrrVKI.jpg

8JA1Ilv.jpg

put it on the trike, see what happens?

got email from grin with a picture, looks like addr 306,307,308 is supposed to be 0.5 which is what i have

WHbRLnn.png

installed back on trike, did autotune, no faults or errors, steady red light :thumb:

nwTl4d7.jpg

trike is still running good

about a month before i replaced the motor cable
when i would come to a complete stop, the motor would "click" on/off about 3x before shutting off

like the virtual electronic freewheeling wasnt just clicking off once stopped

it was still happening after the cable replacement, right up til the PR died

after drying out the PR and plasti dipping it
the motor doesnt click anymore (not that it "clicked" you could feel the motor try to move)

if you feel that happening it might be an indication that theres some moisture getting into the PR

march.9/21

the numbers are still good

AeYlilT.jpg

im turning the PR up to 3000 watts to see how it does in this thread

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=103834&p=1623884#p1623884

I suddenly got the same error code. I was caught out in some rain. The next day the 3-way switch would not work for position 3. However, the rest worked fine. Then the day after that, the motor would not react. The error code only came when I gave throttle.

I have opened the motor to dry it in case there was any moisture there. What is the best way to dry the phaserunner without removing it from the bike? Will a hairdryer work?

I have been caught out in much much worse rain several times before, but never had a problem like this happen.

Back