High amp draw

jay7264

100 W
Hello every one. I have a mac geared hub motor and infineon controller. Recently I went for a ride and all of a sudden the bike slowed down and my display showed that it was pulling serious amps. It would pull about 25 amps when I first start but now it pulls 30 even when I go slow. If I try to go any faster than 10 it pulls crazy amps. What happened is it the controller or the motor

Hello every one. I have a mac geared hub motor and infineon controller. Recently I went for a ride and all of a sudden the bike slowed down and my display showed that it was pulling serious amps. It would pull about 25 amps when I first start but now it pulls 30 even when I go slow. If I try to go any faster than 10 it pulls crazy amps. What happened is it the controller or the motor

There is a restriction somewhere, most likely from the wheel. It could be inside the motor, but it could be the brake or other friction. Lift the rear and spin the wheel by hand. If it does spin freely, you will have to open the motor. If it doesn’t and you can’t find anything rubbing, you will have to open the motor.

Have you been riding in the rain or snow?

:D :bolt:

It could be either.
Is there really high resistance when you spin the motor?
If there is and it gets easier to spin when the controller is disconnected, then it's probably the controller FETs.

Or it could be a Hall sensor gone bad in the motor, or the windings shorting together inside the motor.
Or maybe the wires from the controller to the motor.

I'd prob double check all the motor wires and plugs first, including where they exit the axle, then wheel spin with and without controller, then short two of the three phase wire test (the wheel should get hard to spin and notchy feeling when turned by hand, that's called cogging).

After that, all the testing is going to involve a multimeter, and maybe a 5v power source for testing the motor sensors.

The reason I was wondering about geting your bike wet is that water could cause a short. If you have been riding in the wet, let the bike dry out for a week or until it seems totally dry.

If the bike has not gotten wet, then start the testing as soon as you are ready.

I agree with Voltron that you will need to do some step by step investigation.

1: Disconnect you motor phase wires and Hall wires. Suspend the motor off the ground. If the motor is hard to spin, or it kind of judders while spinning you have a short in your motor or phase wires.

If the motor spins fairly freely, then it is probably not the motor. Then you have to start thinking about the motor Hall Sensors, or the controller.

To test the motor Halls, go here: https://ebikes.ca/documents/HallSensorTestingFinal.pdf

To test the mosfets, go here:https://ebikes.ca/documents/BlownMosfets.pdf

IMO, your problem is not electrical, but mechanical. Check for friction, wheel and brake first, then you might have to open the motor.

Ok after further diagnosis it's the motor. Can someone recommend a similar motor and controller. I know it's a mac motor but I'm not sure how many turns. I would like a geared rear hub motor and controller that can do about 30mph my battery is a lifepo4 36v 20ah thanks for the help

jay7264 said:
Ok after further diagnosis it's the motor. Can someone recommend a similar motor and controller. I know it's a mac motor but I'm not sure how many turns. I would like a geared rear hub motor and controller that can do about 30mph my battery is a lifepo4 36v 20ah thanks for the help

Looks like the MAC 6T will get you to 27.5 mph:
https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?batt=cust_36_0.1_20&motor=MMAC6T&hp=0&axis=mph&cont=C35

Not sure if they make a 5T, but I'm guessing that would get you to 30 mph.

jay7264 said:
I tried to go on em3ev and they dont have any motors anymore

I'm not sure where you can find them now, so you may need to try aliexpress/alibaba.
At least this seller doesn't require you to buy a half dozen of them for a minimum order:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/6T-8T-geared-hub-high-speed_60431311555.html?spm=a2700.details.maylikeexp.4.32d2a652RYUj7C

Ok, before the motor recommendations, how do you know it is the motor and not the phase wires?

Also, did you test your fets?

As for motors, did you contact ebikes.ca ? https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/motors.html They might have what you want.

Also, I have over 16,000 miles on my 2 yescomusa motors. They tend to need a bit of bike modification, like widening the drops of bikes by .5mm to fit the 10mm axle, but they are priced well and come with everything you need to get rolling. And they last a long time. They are in California and have sales on 48v motor kits right now. You could probably pick up a kit for under $300 including taxes and shipping.

Inside the motor or outside via the phase wire?

jay7264 said:
Internally shorted.

Bad news. :evil:

Have you tested the mosfets?

Back