22s12p battery, 320A max. How do I design the copper and nickel strips?

mbgjt1

100 W
I wish to build a 22s12p pack of VTC6 cells, but I am very limited in space (maximum pack size must be 320mm length, 140 mm width, 200 mm height).

Since this battery would be 264 cells in total, the only way to fit (please correct if you have any other suggestions) would be to build this into 2 x 11s12p packs and stack them side by side lying flat. Since the maximum pack size is 140 mm (140 - the width of two batteries which is 130 mm = 10 mm). Hopefully this will be enough space for nickel and copper strips / sheets, and heat shrink.

I wish to first use 0.3 mm copper strips and connect the cells in parallel, then solder on a copper sheet (1mm wide). However, it looks like a nickel strip will only give me 11 amps, and the copper sheet would give me 66 amps. Since I need 320 amps, does this mean I would need to stack 5 layers of copper on top of the parallel connections at 5 mm total height?

There has to be a better way, I don't have that much space to play with.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• Qulbix.png
    Qulbix.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 297
  • Ampacity - Copper . Nickel.jpg
    Ampacity - Copper . Nickel.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 303
It's currently very difficult to spotweld copper directly onto the cells, and instead of stacking strips, you should use wide nickel strips for overall bigger cross section, which has much more ampacity than the usual grid-shaped nickel belt, that's what I do.
If you want copper, consider doing what this guy did, it requires a very powerful solder iron and proper soldering experience though, or else you'll just damage your cells.

Back