Considering the Vector Typhoon

cbr shadow

1 kW
I'm considering buying a Vector Typhoon. It seems to fit everything I'd like out of an electric bike, so I'm thinking I might just buy it rather than building up a custom bike myself. I'm not really looking to take on a big project and learn all the details about building up an ebike, so thought this might be a good solution for a fast ebike that I can rip around some nearby trails.

Is this bike reasonably reliable? Is the initial assembly difficult? I believe they ship from Germany and I live in Fremont, CA. Unfortunately there's only (1) person in my area that has a Vector Typhoon and because of the pandemic they're not open to allowing test rides. I'm debating between the:
- Vector Typhoon $5,500
- Vector Typhoon Light Battery: $5,000
30% smaller capacity battery (same power/torque)
Controller fits inside the frame
Battery is removable for charging and transport

Are there any other brands/models I should consider that are roughly in this price range?

The idea of riding on very HEAVY, HIGH voltage rear motor wheel is a PIPE DREAM sold by BIG CHINESE marketing scheme. The hub motor wheel is not power efficient nor safe or economically logical. More and more people turn to MID-DRIVE E-BIKES for a reason and the reason is simple: IT CAN BE SAFELY USED ON AND OFF ROAD. The only ONE major problem with all MID-DRIVES is NOISE it's generates while in use.

ezoo said:
The idea of riding on very HEAVY, HIGH voltage rear motor wheel is a PIPE DREAM sold by BIG CHINESE marketing scheme. The hub motor wheel is not power efficient nor safe or economically logical. More and more people turn to MID-DRIVE E-BIKES for a reason and the reason is simple: IT CAN BE SAFELY USED ON AND OFF ROAD. The only ONE major problem with all MID-DRIVES is NOISE it's generates while in use.

It SEEMS like a LOT of PEOPLE on this forum USE hub motors, especially FOR flat and fast commutes.

ezoo said:
he only ONE major problem with all MID-DRIVES is NOISE it's generates while in use.

Not hardly! There are issues with them:
- added maintenance
- added wear to drivetrain parts
- added points of failure
- compounded efficiency losses
- usually not single fault tolerant
- easier to damage
- ergonomically compromised (large tread width)

to name a few. There are corresponding advantages, but they weren't enough to make me keep a mid drive that I enjoyed very much. Now I have two hub motor bikes that are less interesting, but much less demanding to live with and much more dependable.

That said, the Vector Typhon looks like yet another overpriced, underengineered, craptastic suitcase bike that should require registration, but couldn't pass inspection.

If you live in California, I see no good reasons to buy an ebike in Germany. Buy one in CA, or least in USA, if you can’t build one yourself.

Those that I like, and are proven good dirt bikes made in USA using hub motors.

Kuberg uses a rear hub.
HPC Typhoon uses a mid mount hub motor.

MadRhino said:
If you live in California, I see no good reasons to buy an ebike in Germany. Buy one in CA, or least in USA, if you can’t build one yourself.

Those that I like, and are proven good dirt bikes made in USA using hub motors.

Kuberg uses a rear hub.
HPC Typhoon uses a mid mount hub motor.

I agree that it'd be better to buy locally here in california, but I can't find anything that still looks somewhat like a bicycle (Kuberg doesn't have pedals. HPC Typhoon can't pass as a mountain bike, but is also $8,000 for similar specs to the Vector).
Are there any california made bikes that are 'stealthy' but still powerful?

Someone could (and probably will) still argue that the Vector Typhoon isn't stealthy. I do think if I pedaled by someone on it that it could be mistaken for a mountain bike pretty easily. The others listed above look like dirt bikes. The 50% added cost is a factor as well

there was USA reseller of vector / enduro ebike .. EEB in California I think.. maybe search eBay, Craigslist etc for ebike shops and see if they sell any box bikes;)

example : cabmotorworks.com

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
there was USA reseller of vector / enduro ebike .. EEB in California I think.. maybe search eBay, Craigslist etc for ebike shops and see if they sell any box bikes;)

Don't the retail shops have to follow the 28mph maximum speed rules? That's a dealbreaker for me, but maybe I'm wrong about shops needing to follow that. For example can they label a bike as being "off road use only" and sell it here?

I'll call around for sure. Thanks

Wow these bikes look almost identical:
CAB Falcon (Made in California)
https://www.cabmotorworks.com/Electric-Bikes-p/2019-falcon.htm

Vector Typhoon (Made in Germany)
https://vectorebike.com/bikes/vector-typhoon

It looks like the Vector comes with a larger (3.2 kwh) battery than the CAB (1.8 kwh) does.

Price is the exact same ($5,500) and shipping

Take a look at Luna Cycle in California how they market and sell their ebikes.

cbr shadow said:

Don't the retail shops have to follow the 28mph maximum speed rules? That's a dealbreaker for me, but maybe I'm wrong about shops needing to follow that. For example can they label a bike as being "off road use only" and sell it here?

markz said:

cbr shadow said:

I'm not clear on what you're pointing out about Luna. It looks like their website doesn't really give a top speed number, and says something about how they only recommend sport mode for off road. Is that what you're pointing out?
Unfortunately Luna doesn't have any bikes with power similar to the Vector Typhoon. They're all quite a bit weaker.

I think you found your answer then.

What is the law for watts in the USA, what is the law in California, as Luna is in California.

You say Luna is selling "They're all quite a bit weaker."
So you are saying Luna does not sell any 1500W ebikes, or they say 1500W then throw in a disclaimer for off road. That is their loophole btw "offroad"

Also you said
doesn't really give a top speed number, and says something about how they only recommend sport mode for off road.

Compare Luna to other ebike shops around the USA and what they market. Because there are more stores then just bicycle stores selling Trek etc, there are ebike shops physical locations that sell all ebikes, in California.

Remember that selling complete ebicycles is different then selling components to ebikes.

cbr shadow said:
markz said:

cbr shadow said:

I'm not clear on what you're pointing out about Luna. It looks like their website doesn't really give a top speed number, and says something about how they only recommend sport mode for off road. Is that what you're pointing out?
Unfortunately Luna doesn't have any bikes with power similar to the Vector Typhoon. They're all quite a bit weaker.

None of those box frames are looking like a bicycle, nor pedals like one. You’d have to build your own on a DH bicycle frame for that, or accepting the low power/speed of the common BB drives e-mtb.

box bikes can look like a pedal bike / ebike, depends more where and how you ride it..
definitely doesn't pedal like a bicycle but who cares it has a motor:)

MadRhino said:
None of those box frames are looking like a bicycle, nor pedals like one. You’d have to build your own on a DH bicycle frame for that, or accepting the low power/speed of the common BB drives e-mtb.

Agreed, I don't think I'd be tricking anyone on close inspection. I do a lot of MTB (pedal only) in my area and I've seen a Vector on the trails and knew it was electric right away, but I didn't know it was so much more powerful than a typical e-MTB. I've also seen big bulky and brightly colored electric bikes without pedals and right away throught "dirt bike".

IMO, from the local MTB site, the only individuals who care what you're riding will notice a "Vector-like" bike immediately and, probably, even much more stealthy bikes pretty quickly. Around here the "haters" usually give those individuals as much grief as possible. Take a look at M1Sportechnik for a 50 mph eMTB, but be prepared to open your wallet wider.

cbr shadow said:
Someone could (and probably will) still argue that the Vector Typhoon isn't stealthy. I do think if I pedaled by someone on it that it could be mistaken for a mountain bike pretty easily.

I think you'd be mistaken for someone pedaling a dirt bike.

Neither the appearance nor the capabilities of such an e-motorbike lend themselves to stealth.

Chalo said:
Not hardly! There are issues with them:
- added maintenance
- added wear to drivetrain parts
- added points of failure
- compounded efficiency losses
- usually not single fault tolerant
- easier to damage
- ergonomically compromised (large tread width)

to name a few. There are corresponding advantages, but they weren't enough to make me keep a mid drive that I enjoyed very much. Now I have two hub motor bikes that are less interesting, but much less demanding to live with and much more dependable.

That said, the Vector Typhon looks like yet another overpriced, underengineered, craptastic suitcase bike that should require registration, but couldn't pass inspection.

Certainly valid challenges for e-bikes intended to actually be pedal bikes, but mere implementation details for e-motorbikes -- those issues were solved 100 years ago in motorcycles (which the Vector is).

The main underengineering is the use of a hub motor in a full suspension e-motorbike.

Back