Help with funky noise from the motor..video link attached

ebike11

1 MW
Hi all!
I am hoping someone can diagnose this problem. Its my qs205 connected to 72V and sabvoton 72150 controller. Its not a controller problem as its new and i tested my other motor with it and was all fine.
At 1/4 throttle the motor runs perfectly but getting close to 1/2 or more throttle..the motor starts the sputter and sometimes stop suddenly but then sometimes im able to go full throttle without a problem and it doesnt happen that often.
There is no error on the controller app and as you can see in the video..even after the first initial stop the motor can still turn as normal. Near the end of the video is where you can hear the sputtering more clearly.
Thanks a lot!!!

https://vimeo.com/511888522 :(

Check your wiring and connectors carefully, before you fry the controller. This motor has double hall set, try the other set. Check the wiring at axle exit (s). Check wire insulation integrity, rubs, kinks or cuts. Take off each connector from the housings to inspect. My guess is that you have an intermittent connection failure or short.

MadRhino said:
Check your wiring and connectors carefully, before you fry the controller. This motor has double hall set, try the other set. Check the wiring at axle exit (s). Check wire insulation integrity, rubs, kinks or cuts. Take off each connector from the housings to inspect. My guess is that you have an intermittent connection failure or short.

Thx for the advice!
Do you think it could be the halls themselves or just problem with wiring/short?

I can’t tell by hearing of course, but a hall wire intermittent failure was my first impression. But, it could be an intermittent short or connection failure on one of the phases and that, could fry your controller.

MadRhino said:

Sorry i wanted to add that...it only happens when getting close to half throttle. It never stutters and always runs smoothly from zero up to half throttle.
If it was a wiring problem connection wouldnt it affect the throttle at any point?

Vibrations might have to do with the rotation speed required for the fault to happen.

It is not impossible that your throttle can be the cause though, but only if it is set to regen on release. I mean, a throttle eventually can have some dead spots, and if the controller is set to regen on throttle release, it would brake the motor when passing on a dead spot in throttle signal.

You didn’t mention if the fault does happen the same under load, when riding the bike.

MadRhino said:
Vibrations might have to do with the rotation speed required for the fault to happen.

It is not impossible that your throttle can be the cause though, but only if it is set to regen on release. I mean, a throttle eventually can have some dead spots, and if the controller is set to regen on throttle release, it would brake the motor when passing on a dead spot in throttle signal.

You didn’t mention if the fault does happen the same under load, when riding the bike.

I dont think its the throttle
It is wired directly to the controller and i turned off all unnecessary settings like regen etc. in order to test that the motor runs fine. I didnt test it under load coz i thought if it acted like this stationary position then i assumed it would be the same with load.
Am i wrong?
Btw...the motor is acting like that on both sets of hall sensors at the same throttle point
Thanks!

Back