Need nice seat for e-MTB. Suggestions?

pullin-gs

1 kW
In the middle of build.....did inventory and realized I never bought a seat!
Suggestions on a nice seat for forest-road/trail riding?
Frame is hard-tail MTB fat-tire aluminum frame 1500W hub with fat air-fork in front.
This is the seat post I already bought. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071J48FVG

Whatever is comfortable for you dude, kind of an individual thing...

Wolfeman said:
I suppose I could order up a couple of dozen different seats and ID that special "individual thing". ;)
But being that I dont have the cash or time, I though it prudent to ask around first to narrow things down a bit.

pullin-gs said:
Wolfeman said:
I suppose I could order up a couple of dozen different seats and ID that special "individual thing". ;)
But being that I dont have the cash or time, I though it prudent to ask around first to narrow things down a bit.
Start with the kind of saddle that you were comfortable with when riding a bike before. Nobody can help you judge your own comfort.

I've tried quite a few seats because of physical issues I have. If you can be more specific about what you like I may be able to help. In general, the hybrid/cruiser type seats, with built-in springs, work well with a suspension seat post if you can get it to fit. Depending on how stiff the springs are, you set the seatpost tension so that only one suspension is working most of the time, with the other one kicking in on big, jarring bumps.

Selle SMP Hybrid Gel
https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/selle-smp-hybrid-gel/135933245/p

selle-smp-hybrid-gel.jpg

Specifically for ebikes. My favorite feature: The rails are VERY low profile and can go VERY forward (just look at it side by side by other saddles), you can slam this guy down and create a chopper, also if you have an older bike that is a bit cramped you can slam it very far back.

Those big sofa like saddles aren't as comfortable as they look (they just squash your bum and make you numb losing circulation), weigh a lot, and are terrible for offroad, they are too wide and thus will keep slamming into your legs as you go out the saddle and take on some obstacles.

If you want to forgo the gel filling for a cheaper price, go selle smp TRK hybrid
https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/selle-smp-trk-hybrid/137567595/p

About your seatpost, I've had two very similar ones, the nuts at the top of the two saddle bolts(cylinder shape) are made of alu. They WILL blow up unexpectedly when reaching their fatigue limit. Do yourself a favor and replace them now for nyloc nuts of the same size (nyloc nuts have a bit of a conical shape and will better fill the cylinder shaped hole).

Tommm said:
About your seatpost, I've had two very similar ones, the nuts at the top of the two saddle bolts(cylinder shape) are made of alu. They WILL blow up unexpectedly when reaching their fatigue limit. Do yourself a favor and replace them now for nyloc nuts of the same size (nyloc nuts have a bit of a conical shape and will better fill the cylinder shaped hole).

Excellent advice! Thank you. :)
As far as saddles are concerned, I've been a road-bike rider for years......seats are fine on pavement....suck on bumps. Starting from scratch for e-MTB with light offroad riding. Thanks all.

Brooks saddles from England, buy online at numerous places like REI. Made of leather. Form to fit you. Many touring people ride them (people that spend 4-8 hours a day in the saddle for extended periods). The Brooks B-17 is the largest selling saddle of all time. Expensive $100, but can last for decades, sometimes. Like a slick brick when brand new but they form to fit you in days, weeks, or a couple of months depending on your glutemous maximus conditioning. Must keep them dry. You can ride through a rain but you can not allow them to be soaked.

Brooks has many models. The B-67 might be a better choice for 'less hardened butts' at first. More expensive. Wider and has springs.

All of that said, no saddle fits everybody. If you have friends or a bikeshop that will let you test ride a saddle it is a good idea.

Few ebike riders like a leather saddle. Some do, mostly among those using PAS because pedalists like hard saddles. Then, one can’t try and judge the comfort of leather saddles, because they need many months to shape to the rider. This ‘breaking’ period can be shortened if you are willing to ride a wet saddle for a few weeks. :mrgreen:

Personally I like leather saddles on horses, not at all on bikes and motorcycles. I find they are for vintage freaks. My favorites saddles for ebikes are not high quality, because I ride fast and the saddle rarely survives a crash undamaged. Cushioned with gel or memory foam because I don’t supply crank power, thus sit all my weight on it. The shape, width and length are personal matters. Each his own.

I went with the Selle Royale gel on my Raptor. Super comfy for my sit bones. Might not like it as much if I were pedaling more due to the somewhat wide nose of the saddle rubbing my thighs, but for that bike it's just about perfect.

Brooks flyer for my pedal bike.

Back