1000w throttled ebike that also pedals and looks stealthy?

austin2359

10 mW
That's what I really want. An ebike that has some power and range, but if you looked at it, you would think it was less powerful than it actually is. Something that could somewhat pass as a regular bike. And I want to just be able to throttle it here and there on a tough hill and then totally pedal it at other times.

Any suggestions on existing models?

I should consider them before I think about building my own.'

I would think there would have to be some level of speed control, like you're not always pushing the throttle at max speed. I'd want as much range as I could get. And for pedaling I like 21 speed but if it can't be 21 speed it should at least have a few gears.

The more power and range that an ebike has, the less it does look like a bicycle. I guess that if I would want a stealthy ebike with high capacity battery, I would hide them in panniers and/or backpack. Or, maybe I would build a long frame cargo bike, because it does make it easier to hide ebike components and batteries.

Someone on another forum suggested luna cycles.

This seems perfect, but it's "downprogrammed" to 750 watts.  How do you undo that?
https://lunacycle.com/luna-folding-ebike/

One of the best ways to hide that you are an e bike, is the cargo bike. It does not look funny with big batteries strapped on, because you have the big panniers to carry them in. The panniers also do a great job of hiding a rear hub motor.

The rest, nobody really notices, if you do a decent job of installing the wiring, concealing the controller simply by mounting it under the seat where your ass and legs hides most of it.

Even frame mounted controllers do not get noticed much, if they are the more modern type, with wiring kits that don't look like a tangle of plugs and wires. Luna sells a kit like this, as does E-Bikekit, and others.

Picture of one of my homemade cargo bikes, I lengthened a cheap beach cruiser for this. But the same idea for stealth works on an ordinary bike. You just avoid the cheapest scooter type controllers, and put bags on the back to hide the motor wheel enough, and nobody notices you are electric, till you go up a hill at 20 mph not pedaling at least.

You can see the controller for this bike on the tube supporting the seat. Even completely visible, its pretty discreet, and water resistant.

6-1-2015  Schwinn Cruiser with 52 t crank.JPG

As MadRhino says, the more it looks like a bicycle, the more it will be like a bicycle. Take the Bianchi e-road:
Bianchi-Aria-e-road-review-2019-675x445.png

It's no motorcycle. You get a raging 250W out of this 36V system, and 7Ah battery that isn't going to get you very far if you make excessive use of it - though I guess you couldn't anyway, since it seems to be torque sensor PAS with few if any adjustments (not even a display.) But it totally looks like a bicycle, weighs 27 lbs., and a charge supposedly will last for 52 miles.

Back