5 way lights/ indicator/ horn switch help

paulstung

100 W
I've just received my 5 way switch for all of my lights but it didn't come with any instructions. Can anyone please help me to sort this out.

It has 2 red, 1 brown, 1 yellow and 2 white cables. I have a 12v 6 led light bar for the front and 2 sets of 12v sequential led's one for the front, white and Amber for the front indicator and red and Amber for the rear indicator. And hopefully I'm going to use the horn button for the regen ( I'm sure that I've seen a thread where that is possible (

Thank you guys..

Attachments

• IMG_20210222_005330_2.jpg
    IMG_20210222_005330_2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_20210222_005243_9.jpg
    IMG_20210222_005243_9.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 341
First, how can you get the wiring info from the seller? They must have some way for you to access it.

Second, get your DMM and start testing.

Do this. Assuming that the green wire is a ground wire, and maybe it isn't, but lets assume it is. Set your DMM to continuity and connect the black lead of your DMM to the the green wire, press the horn button and then connect the red wire of your DMM to the other wires to see which wire completes the circuit.

Do the same with your left turn switch, and then the right.

By playing around like this, you will get the proper wire for each setting of your switch.

The green wire may not complete the circuit every time so play around with connections on every wire.

Test connections between other wires to see what is connected to what, then change a switch or button to see if it changes.

Experimentation is the only way to know if you don't have a wiring diagram.

:D :bolt:

Thank you buddy that's a great help, I've actually been in touch with the seller on 2 occasions but no reply.

Am I right in thinking that 1 of the red wires and possibly the green, would be the power input, and then the others would be for the lights?

3 of the wires will be for the turn signal (one wire for power in, one wire for power out to the left turn signal, one wire for power out to the right turn signal).

2 wires will be for the headlight button (one input, one out to the light)

And 2 wires will be for the horn button (one input, one out to the horn)

There's no single shared input for the whole switch.

Thank you guys for the help, but I done the obvious thing and undone the 3 screws and looked at where the wires went. Lol

The one I have is wired like this:

2 X White wires = Horn (green button)

2 X Red wires = Head Light (red button)

1 X Yellow wire= Left Turn Signal

1 X Green wire = Right Turn Signal

1 X Brown wire= Ground wire for Turn Signal Lights

Yep that's the same as mine to, but I'm having a brain fart with this one, lol.

I've got the headlight all sorted but the turn signals are really confusing me for some reason. I'm guessing that the middle wire coming of the switch ( inside the unit) is the negative and the other two are the positive ones, one each for the left and right indicators. So if they are like the headlight one wire in and one wire out how do I connect them??

I'm usually a pretty fast learner but for some reason I'm having a complete brain fart with this switch and lights.. Lol

Thank you guys and please feel free to laugh and take the micky all you want

paulstung said:
I'm guessing that the middle wire coming of the switch ( inside the unit) is the negative and the other two are the positive ones, one each for the left and right indicators. So if they are like the headlight one wire in and one wire out how do I connect them??

The turn signal switch can have either a ground or positive going to the brown wire, so sliding it to the left position sends that gnd/pos signal to the yellow wire, and the right position sends it to the green wire.
I wired so it has a positive voltage goes to brown. The yellow and green go to the left and right lights, respectively. Since the yellow or green are providing the positive voltage, the second wires from the lights would go to ground.

Back