Does more wattage gives more initial torque or only more speed

xtaphore

10 µW
Let say we compare 72v QS273 @ 8000w AND a 72v QS273 @ 12000w...

Will the 12k will have more INITIAL torque than a 8k setup?

Thanks

Watts are power, volts are speed.
More power won’t make any extra speed, unless the initial power was too low to achieve voltage speed.

More power and gearing down are making more torque. With a DD hub motor wheel, gearing down does mean a smaller wheel. A QS 273 can be fed much higher power than 8000 watts in acceleration.

xtaphore said:

Thanks

Yes, but probably not usable, since the region with the increase is the region where you need to control the throttle ramps to keep from doing a back flip.

The one time I got to ride a 10,000 w e bike it wanted to backflip pretty bad. Once you got going it was fun, but it was tricky to start it up from a stop.

But it depends on what you plan to do with it, if it needs wheelie bars to win the drag race, put em on. If you just need to get ahead of a flock of cars at a light, 5000w will do that nicely. Meaning half throttle is plenty for the first few feet.

For hard acceleration, the bike need to have proper geometry. 10kw hard start on a bike that is not built for this, is almost impossible to control. Then the rider has to temper the acceleration to make it progressive, or set a soft start controller. But, if you build the bike with adequate geometry, you can control wether it will lift or drift in hard acceleration, thus you can feed it very high power and still keep it under control. Long wheelbase, centered weight distribution, adapted cockpit geometry... are your first concerns. Then you can feed all the power and accelerate with the rear wheel spinning and the front a few inches off the ground. You can also start with a frog jump, if you are willing to pay the cost of learning. :twisted:

One of the reasons I started making my bikes 8-16 inches longer. If he wants a drag bike, he should lengthen it.

Another consideration about initial torque, is whether the wheel would just break traction. I still think 5000w is plenty for the first three feet off the line in street use. One thing I learned at the death races, was how incredible a 1200w bike could accelerate compared to the typical 90cc gas bike. I had so much more torque for the first 20 feet.

But if you need to beat other electric bikes, you can't have too much watts, ( once the wheelie problem is controlled) only more torque than your tire can handle.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Based on what you said. If I want initial torque power (low speed torque) would be better between a 8000w motor with a (5T) winding or a 12000w (3.5T)?

What would you recommend?

PS: not looking for high speed bike.

Motors have a Tq./Amp number with the certain design. One vs another.

Feed this much amps, get this much tq.

....put that in a rim to lever you along your way and have fun. The amount of butt dyno "umpf " this makes depends on the wheel diameter, load and how much work you put down. For the maths, I think. Plus how the bike handles against gravity.

Work = Force × Distance... and hp ( horseypower) is derived from this.

Don t hurt yourself.

xtaphore said:

Thanks

Higher power at the same voltage = higher amps
Higher amps at the same motor kT = higher torque

Definitely not advisable to be building a dangerous 8-12kW e-moto if you don't know this.

Ok, its not a race bike. Sounded like it might be. We could discuss shit infinitely here, and have for over a decade. But to answer your question it would help to know what you want.

What kind of bike will it be? Is this a cargo hauling truck? Is this an MTB for trail riding? Do you need to have huge torque at low speed for 10 seconds? Or do you want to have low speed torque for an hour climbing up a mine road? Or do you want a street motorcycle that sort of looks like its a legal bike?

Thanks.

I'm DIY enduro e-bike (stealth bomber clone frame) and I'm looking for a "low speed torky bike". I'm 225ponds and I want this bike more for off road trail bike. From what I'v been told is that I should better choose a 8k@5T setup than a 12k@3.5T configuration because of my weight and offroad usage.

What do you think?

dogman dan said:
Ok, its not a race bike. Sounded like it might be. We could discuss shit infinitely here, and have for over a decade. But to answer your question it would help to know what you want.

What kind of bike will it be? Is this a cargo hauling truck? Is this an MTB for trail riding? Do you need to have huge torque at low speed for 10 seconds? Or do you want to have low speed torque for an hour climbing up a mine road? Or do you want a street motorcycle that sort of looks like its a legal bike?

Thanks.

I'm DIY enduro e-bike (stealth bomber clone frame) and I'm looking for a "low speed torky bike". I'm 225ponds and I want this bike more for off road trail bike. From what I'v been told is that I should better choose a 8k@5T setup than a 12k@3.5T configuration because of my weight and offroad usage.

What do you think?

xtaphore said:
Thanks.

What do you think?

You don't explain why, but it seems like you only have two motors to choose from and you need help deciding. I'd get the 12kW if those are actual ratings. It will hold up to more abuse, and won't break a sweat at 8kW.

Back