New type of PAS. Is it faulty?

Darren2018

100 W
I recently bought a newer style of PAS but it does not turn. Is it supposed to be like this? The older style sensors used to be made from a sensor and a separate magnet disc. :? s-l1600-20.jpg

Darren2018 said:
E-HP said:
Darren2018 said:
I recently bought a newer style of PAS but it does not turn. Is it supposed to be like this?

Does it not work?

I wondered if I needed the magnets. What a crap design :(
So you installed it and it didn’t work. Sounds defective since the part that goes around the spindle should rotate. The magnets are internal, like the Grin and KT versions (have both). Much improved over the disc type, as long as you have a Shimano cartridge bottom bracket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darren2018 said:
amberwolf said:
Put your finger inside it and I bet you find the inner part rotates. ;)

No it is fixed. :roll:
It shouldn't be. The outer part should be fixed to the frame, and the inner part should rotate freely on the crankshaft.

When you have it installed on the pedals, does it prevent the pedals from turning?

It is possible that if they have a water seal in there that causes so much friction initially that it can't be turned by hand but could with the leverage of the cranks. If so, it's likely that it would wear and become easier over time.

If it won't even let the pedals turn, they may have accidentally secured the parts together completely. :(

amberwolf said:
When you have it installed on the pedals, does it prevent the pedals from turning?

That's what I don't get; if the OP turned the crank after installing it, it would have busted the plastic or stripped it out. Plastic loses to steel.
Both the Grin and KT units were stiff before installing them, too.

I haven't given it a proper try yet but thanks for the advise. I ordered the ones recommended by E-HP.

Darren2018 said:
I haven't given it a proper try yet but thanks for the advise. I ordered the ones recommended by E-HP.

I wouldn't call it "recommend", since I have no idea what your setup is, but just to be complete, the grin sensor is customized for use with the cycle analyst, and runs on 10V. The KT units have a left or right model, so you need to make sure you order the right orientation (KT-V12L, KT-V12R). Good luck. I'd try the one you got first; can't hurt.

I have ordered the KT-V12L and CD-V12L. Hopefully they are better than the one that I have at the moment. As far as I know KT usually supply higher quality parts so hopefully I don't get another broken one.

E-HP said:
Darren2018 said:

I wouldn't call it "recommend", since I have no idea what your setup is, but just to be complete, the grin sensor is customized for use with the cycle analyst, and runs on 10V. The KT units have a left or right model, so you need to make sure you order the right orientation (KT-V12L, KT-V12R). Good luck. I'd try the one you got first; can't hurt.

The one you mentioned works fine. The one I had originally was made from a single piece of plastic or 2 pieces welded together :roll:. The KT-V12 is made from 2 distinctly separate pieces and therefore obviously turns like you would expect.

Darren2018 said:
The one you mentioned works fine. The one I had originally was made from a single piece of plastic or 2 pieces welded together :roll:. The KT-V12 is made from 2 distinctly separate pieces and therefore obviously turns like you would expect.

That's good news, thanks for closing the loop. If you have time, maybe post a link to the original PAS unit so people know which brand to avoid if they search and see this post. :bigthumb:

The first PAS looks so thick, I doubt you could turn the pedal when they are locked down with the retainer bolt.

On my last project the KTV!2-L was too thick to let my pedals turn. Back to the discrete magnet ring.

Back