Tempted to lick my 50 volt battery

Just to see how it would go. Would I risk dying or just my tongue explode?

I remember sticking fingers in light sockets as a kid. We were all doing it.

One of my earliest memories is sticking a fork in a wall outlet. Those shocks leave an imprint.

Some of us need to learn like that (like many dogs). Others, using some logic, will be able to figure out that's not a real good plan..... without the lesson reinforcement by pain.

You would get a horrifyingly painful burn on your tongue. People can get away with touching their tongue onto a 9V battery because the amps are so low.

A better experiment would be to touch your battery to a raw chicken breast.

Don't forget to live stream. Just this morning I watched a video of the guy live streaming the climb he wasn't allowed to make, and he captured his fall. . . .

Some people think it'll never happen to them.

Don’t go licking both + and - , way too predictable.
Try putting the black in one ear and the red in the other one. It is likely to light up your eyeballs and shut off the stupid ideas center in your brain.

Use high C-rate RC lipo for guaranteed spectacular results.

NB: Speaking of your brain. You must know It has two different halves. The problem with yours is, the left half has nothing right in it, and the right has nothing left.

Just watch a youtube video where someone takes a 16s pack and progressively touches each terminal in ascending voltage. I think he got to around 60v before he got a shock thru his fingers. Resistance thru your tongue would be much lower.

Next time just ask someone to explain the science. Dont make jokes about doing stupid things.

Please, PLEASE...DO NOT touch an ebike battery to your tongue. You will not die, but its a safe bet the emergency room will cut off the outer half of your tongue because it will have been horribly burned. You will be in excruciating pain.

If this kind of thing fascinates you, cook a chicken breast with your ebike battery. When I was a kid, we bought a gadget that cooked hot dogs with straight mains voltage. The on switch was activated by closing the plastic lid. they are illegal now, but it as using 120V and 15A. The hot dogs cooked in about five seconds. Most ebike batteries now are 52V and 50A, so it has even more wattage.

That gadget is illegal now.

https://youtu.be/DDSK16c8UBY?t=149

Interesting hot dogs at 120v. I’m not going to put 50v to my tongue. Just wondering how it would go.

I remember a pic someone posted on here long ago of their hand supposedly blown up from miss-plugging i think was 72v I forget. I think it was a fake hand from a horror costume store. It was all charred. I’ll do the chicken

A hot dog in 5 seconds at 120v doesn’t sound like a blown up charred hand at 72v. Was your dog charred? How does it connect just electrodes on either end of the dog? And a resister?.. or just metal plates no need to skewer it. Or maybe you’d get charred. I’ll wear goggles to be safe.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
How safe is it? I mean what are my chances of death?

Perhaps if you had a nose piercing you could put that on the negative as your ground and use you tongue more---positively.

If you're hoping to make it on TV this way, they no longer make '1000 Ways to die.'

Hummina Shadeeba said:
I’ll wear goggles to be safe.

That'll keep the mess under control when your eyes melt.

Electro-cutie.png

Try licking the probes on an ohmmeter and tell us what the resistance is. Then we can do the math to see what would happen at 50v.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
How safe is it? I mean what are my chances of death?

I second the ear to ear idea, less painful as ears have much higher resistance and we don't know what will happen.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
A hot dog in 5 seconds at 120v doesn’t sound like a blown up charred hand at 72v. Was your dog charred? How does it connect just electrodes on either end of the dog? And a resister?.. or just metal plates no need to skewer it. Or maybe you’d get charred. I’ll wear goggles to be safe.

[youtube]dTG0veHngoM[/youtube]

fechter said:
Try licking the probes on an ohmmeter and tell us what the resistance is. Then we can do the math to see what would happen at 50v.

Thanks for your help. On my 15$ multimeter I get about the same resistance on my tongue as pressed into my finger. 1.4 ohms I believe it is. Maybe I need a more precise tool https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L6IC8A4/ref=psdcmw_14244471_t1_B01FHF1AHO. Or anyone have a recommendation on a cheaper one?

OK, serious answer. Fechter was giving you the opportunity to calculate the power that would cross your tongue tissues, but the battery current output is also required to do the math.

People care about voltage but it is not the most dangerous factor. The current is the most important cause of damage when the electricity is traveling through body parts.

A taser gun is delivering 50000 volts and very unlikely to cause physical damages. That is because the current that it does supply is limited very low, about 0.002 Ampere.

A 6s RC lipo battery is delivering about 24 v and will cause severe burns, if it is high C-rate especially.

If a 50v battery has a capacity of 1 kw/h and a C-rate of 0.5 C, it will supply 5 Amps (250 watts of power) through your fingers, or tongue. Now, if that battery has 60 C output rate, it will supply 600 Amps (30000 watts of power). The first will be painful and likely cause a small burn, the second will literally explode the tip of your tongue and leave it with 3rd degree burnt tissues.

My 24s RC lipo ebike batteries do vaporize 6ga Anderson connectors if they are shorted. This is about 5 grams of silver plated copper turned into gas and flying debris, throwing sparks 6 ft away. If the shorted connector was attempted to be plugged with bare fingers without the huge Andersons housing, this mistake would cause severe burns even though the electricity never travels through the fingers, only by the radiant heat from the explosion of the connector. So, before trying stupid things with your ebike battery, make sure to know how much current that it is capable of supplying.

MadRhino said:
If a 50v battery has a capacity of 1 kw/h and a C-rate of 0.5 C, it will supply 5 Amps (250 watts of power) through your fingers, or tongue. Now, if that battery has 60 C output rate, it will supply 600 Amps (30000 watts of power). The first will be painful and likely cause a small burn, the second will literally explode the tip of your tongue and leave it with 3rd degree burnt tissues.

Think will get much more current than the c-rating tells if practically shorting through the low resistance of my tongue

I think it’s as low as 50 milliamperes needed to possibly kill if the current is across the heart. Maybe with a large enough current even if I just touch the terminals to my tongue, it will still have part of the current across my heart and possibly kill me and I definitely dont want that of course so need to do the math. Newd to figure the resistance of a common tongue and if the current will use my whole body and possibly kill me or possibly leave me unrecoverably charred.

And then I’m also going to confirm everything with a chicken before going any further to be safe. Definitely don’t want a charred tongue.

Eastwood said:
Is this a joke, are you really considering?

There are two sides to the coin in response to Hummina Shadeeba's post.

1) Teach the op and any readers

2) Warn them (op & reader) of the dangers

I think its an opportunity to do both. There is just to many non-smart people out there that would probably do it at 72V let alone 36 and 48V, or whatever their battery voltage is for their ebike or cart or skateboard or standup scooter.

There are two coins that can possibly be combined for a larger coin..the quarter. Hell no I’m not putting my tongue on anything that will possibly leave me permanently charred or kill me. What are you crazy? If the numbers don’t add up it’s just not safe enough. Will post the chicken results.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
There are two coins that can possibly be combined for a larger coin..the quarter. Hell no I’m not putting my tongue on anything that will possibly leave me permanently charred or kill me. What are you crazy? If the numbers don’t add up it’s just not safe enough. Will post the chicken results.

Why not save your coins and not waste a chicken.

Makes about as much sense as "What would it feel like to shoot myself in the foot".
By the way ... a possible infection from either one can kill you.

Back