Are there any e-bike motors suitable for 200mm hub dropout width?

Janjarmosz

1 mW
Hello everyone,

I am really struggling with finding a motor that will suit my 200mm rear fork, is that possible to fill out the gap? Any way of making 150/175mm hub suitable (like the one on the picture)? I really want to avoid cutting and welding my frame

All the best to you guys!

Attachments

• 9D4CDC20-F649-42E5-BF22-A9D2E88C5BD0.jpeg
    9D4CDC20-F649-42E5-BF22-A9D2E88C5BD0.jpeg
    692.3 KB · Views: 586
  • 8F0D48E5-415C-4BD7-B740-94C89B3AE6B6.jpeg
    8F0D48E5-415C-4BD7-B740-94C89B3AE6B6.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 585
You can make torque arms that bolt into the fork ends, but have the inside measurement you need. 25mm thickness per side gives you plenty of room to make them clamp the axle flats.

Chalo said:
You can make torque arms that bolt into the fork ends, but have the inside measurement you need. 25mm thickness per side gives you plenty of room to make them clamp the axle flats.

I shall do that then! Thank you!

Interesting! I have the opposite problem. Got a hub motor with 200mm width, and need a frame that fits. What frame do you have? I'd like to seek out a similar model. Thanks!

Then you can do the opposite. Install torque arms (plates) / clamping (pinching) dropouts on the *outside* of your existing dropouts, that have inboard sides that line up with your axle shoulders.

Alternately you could modify the axle itself to fit in the narrow space, if you have the tools and DIYability for that, without damaging the axle or motor or wiring.

Janjarmosz said:
Hello everyone,

I am really struggling with finding a motor that will suit my 200mm rear fork, is that possible to fill out the gap? Any way of making 150/175mm hub suitable (like the one on the picture)? I really want to avoid cutting and welding my frame

All the best to you guys!

From the picture it looks like it’s a QS205 but maybe I’m wrong. They make that hub motor motor in 200 mm. I know QS in particular can make you a hub motor based on your dimensions. But like suggested above you can space it out to use any motor, So either way would work.

Eastwood said:
From the picture it looks like it’s a QS205 but maybe I’m wrong. They make that hub motor motor in 200 mm. I know QS in particular can make you a hub motor based on your dimensions.
Also, AFAIK the QS205 axle is relatively easy to remove and replace, so you could order an axle of the correct length and shoulder width from QSmotors if necessary. Check with them first to be sure yours can do this.

amberwolf said:
Eastwood said:
From the picture it looks like it’s a QS205 but maybe I’m wrong. They make that hub motor motor in 200 mm. I know QS in particular can make you a hub motor based on your dimensions.
Also, AFAIK the QS205 axle is relatively easy to remove and replace, so you could order an axle of the correct length and shoulder width from QSmotors if necessary. Check with them first to be sure yours can do this.

Yeah it looks like there’s just one clip holding the axle in place on one side, so looks like the axle would easily come out if put in a press. That being said QS motors could probably just send the motor pre-built with the proper axle without having to open the hub, might be easier that way.

Attachments

• D0EEE0DE-092B-4CD7-8BEB-7034C744D9F3.jpeg
    D0EEE0DE-092B-4CD7-8BEB-7034C744D9F3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 275
Back