Lectric XP torque sensor

pauldeden

1 mW
I have a Lectric XP step through and like it except for it having a cadence sensor. I would much prefer a torque sensor.

Does anyone know of anyone successfully adding a torque-sensing pedal assist to a Lectric XP?

That depends on *which* torque sensor you're talking about (as long as the controller also has a throttle input).

Some, like THUN and TDCM, output a voltage that at rest is around the 2.5v mark, and changes up or down from there depending on torque sensed.

Some of them, like the Erider that Grin Tech carries now, directly output a voltage that can be used on the throttle connector instead of a throttle, as it starts at the low end below the typical throttle threshold value of controllers (which can take 1-1.5v before they start powering the motor), and goes up from there as more torque is applied.

Depending on the system, it may not be "safe" to use it quite that directly, at least not without a safety switch, as I can imagine a case where failure of poweron calibration or aging of the system might cause it to increase in voltage output when idle to something above what the controller needs to begin powering the motor, so it might start the motor without any pedalling, if the controller has no powerup check for stuck throttle.

But it could be used directly as a throttle.

If you can find one, there is also the BeamTS, which had a version that output a direct throttle signal, and was designed and intended to plug into the throttle connector of a typical controller.

Back