source for low capacity 52, 60, or 72v battery?

afox

1 µW
Im trying to find a low capacity (4-8ish ah) battery for my cyclone mid drive ebike. Everything seems to be higher capacity, I have a specific use for the bike (short shuttles for river kayaking) and would like a small, light, cheap battery. I already have a 48v 21 AH battery for long distance trips. 72v 4ah would be perfect but 52v would allow me to use it with a bbshd eventually.

Anyone know of any sources for something like I am describing?

Perhaps a lawnmower battery. Some of them are 48 or 52v these days. The bike might be a bit hard on it though. Nothing affordable about a battery being smaller, it works too hard, then dies early.

The other option would be of course, RC lipos, where its at least cheap enough to kill some annually. You could do 72v 5 ah for 300 or so, or at least could before covid. I haven't looked at hobby king prices, or stock levels lately.

I'd watch the battery wholesalers like BatteryHookup and JehuGarcia's online store. They might have a 52v pack thats already equipped with a BMS.

We all want a smaller, lighter, cheaper battery. But I'd watch out for too cheap. Cheap is what burned my garage down, and left me living in a rental for 9 months of hell while the contractor tried his best to rebuild my house without doing all the work I paid him for.

RC lipo, of course, you NEVER charge inside your house or garage. But its strong and cheap, so a small pack can put out a lot of power.

I'm a fan of the EGO yard tools. They are marketed as "56V", but they are definitely 14S (14 cells in series), which we commonly call 52V here. When fully charged, they are 58V.

The mower uses either 5.0-Ah or 7.5-Ah. Both use high amp 2500-mAh Samsung cells. The casing may be a bit bulky if you are looking for a compact battery. The housing is configured for air circulation, and the charger plus mower both use a fan to cool the pack.

Thanks for all the suggestions, some good options.

I had been using 72v 2ah kobalt/greenworks batteries but killed 2 or 3 of them with the 3000w cyclone. Tried rebalancing manually but did not work.

Time you go lipo, and not the cheap 20 c stuff either. Get some 40c or better, or run at least 10 ah of it. If you are already killing the mower batteries, its not change brand time, its change chemistry time. And maybe, time to forget small packs. 72v 10 ah of stout lipo will do er. And still be fairly small. 8 of the 5s 5 ah packs.

But with lipo, charging can be a bitch if you want a balance each cycle. What I discovered, was if you got the good high c rate stuff, and then tended to discharge them no lower than 3.75v per cell, they'd stay balanced. Then safely outside, you could use a faster bulk charger, like a satiator.

Back