YesComUsa - 36v 750w 24inch Ebike kit

gobi

10 kW
After my 2 builds using Bafang/Uber 26 inch front hubs, I am diving into a 24inch front hub ebike build for my youngest.

I bought this kit:

https://www.yescomusa.com/products/24-front-wheel-electric-bicycle-motor-fat-tire-kit-36v-750w

Questions:

1. Can the motor take 48v?
2. Can the controller take 48v?
3. Can I use a different controller? If yes, will my PSWPower controllers work in this?
4. What the enormous bag they provide in the kit used for? where is it mounted?

I have Mongoose full syspension 24 inch donor bike I bought for $20, it has steel front fork and rear thing.

Extras:
I have 2 torque arms, front and rear light, rear rack to bungee the battery,

I am hoping to use the 48v Battery I have for this, if it is compatible with the motor and cotroller, else I will switch to a 36v battery.

Most of those kids can run at 48 volts but your reader if it's a 3 light meter will be off as that meter is made for SLA usually. The best idea would be the open it up and see if you have 63 volt caps or higher and at that point are 88% guaranteed it will work. I heard or think the rule is they use a faster wind for the 36v and so if you use at 48v and be faster than a 48 volt motor in the kits maybe ???
How old is your boy ? A 24in rim means more torque. Good for a faster wine motor if there is any difference in the wines they could be the exact same motor just different controllers and battery meters. ???

Are you using the pedal assist on your other kits? This one is throttle only, and is a different riding experience from a PSWpower KT controller used with PAS. It's also a gearless motor, and they pedal a bit different when not powered. There's a little drag from the magnets. Since this looks like a smaller motor, there's less drag than from a 1500W gearless motor.

If you use a PSWpower KT controller, and you could, regen braking is available,

I'll be interested to see how you like it, compared to the Uber motors. My bias is that these are more suited for fast riding on throttle, while my riding style is lower speed pedal assist. I haven't mounted my two Uber motors yet. Waiting for warm summer days/evenings.

999zip999 said:
Most of those kids can run at 48 volts but your reader if it's a 3 light meter will be off as that meter is made for SLA usually. The best idea would be the open it up and see if you have 63 volt caps or higher and at that point are 88% guaranteed it will work. I heard or think the rule is they use a faster wind for the 36v and so if you use at 48v and be faster than a 48 volt motor in the kits maybe ???
How old is your boy ? A 24in rim means more torque. Good for a faster wine motor if there is any difference in the wines they could be the exact same motor just different controllers and battery meters. ???

1. YesComUSA Controller - ok, I will open it up and check the voltage on the caps.
2. 24 inch = more torque? that makes sense, I have all girls :). I am not worried about the speed, she is 12 and weighs 135#,

Good Question, I am not sure if the winding on the 750w is the same as the 1000w one and just derated.

docw009 said:
Are you using the pedal assist on your other kits? This one is throttle only, and is a different riding experience from a PSWpower KT controller used with PAS. It's also a gearless motor, and they pedal a bit different when not powered. There's a little drag from the magnets. Since this looks like a smaller motor, there's less drag than from a 1500W gearless motor.

If you use a PSWpower KT controller, and you could, regen braking is available,

I'll be interested to see how you like it, compared to the Uber motors. My bias is that these are more suited for fast riding on throttle, while my riding style is lower speed pedal assist. I haven't mounted my two Uber motors yet. Waiting for warm summer days/evenings.

Nope, never got around installing the pedal assist, both sisters are happy with the thumb throttle.

Friction - no worries on this, she will ride it around 3 block radius, not really pushing it much.

Regen - Nice, I like it, yes, I have a bunch of KT controllers coming the mail, I bought a buffet of PSW controllers.

Me too, I have never tried any ebikes other than the 2 ubers I built. I am going to take a day off on Wednesday and build it for her.

So geared hub = good for slow speed

lol, it was 39F few mornings back, I hear you, I just carry the bike into my living room and work on it :D

The bag is for three lead acid batteries, for a 36v system. Those bags used to come in all kits. Straps to a rear rack, which used to come with the kits too.

999zip999 said:

Pic of caps from one end

I have the 63v caps.

Attachments

• controller_63v.jpg
    controller_63v.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 592
999zip999 said:
That usually means you can run 48 or 52 volt but is not 100% guarantee.
Watch lvc and don't over discharge the battery !

ok, keeping fingers crossed I don't see the magic smoke.
thanks,

Occasionally, a 36v controller will have a HVC cutoff, and simply won't turn on on 48v. Highly unlikely that you see that in a controller with 63v caps. 99.9% chance you have a controller that will run fine on 52v, 14s battery just fine. One that charges to 58v or 60v if 16s lifepo4.

dogman dan said:
Occasionally, a 36v controller will have a HVC cutoff, and simply won't turn on on 48v. Highly unlikely that you see that in a controller with 63v caps. 99.9% chance you have a controller that will run fine on 52v, 14s battery just fine. One that charges to 58v or 60v if 16s lifepo4.

ok, I will test this later today, I brought up the donor bike upstairs and took of the factory wheel.

I charge my Lithium packs to 80 to 90% of their SOC.
I have a bunch of 15ah 48v 13s packs, all waterproof with xt60 connector, 30A max @ 48v.

Axle washer -

The kit came with 2.85mm thick axle washers,

I don't have space on the starboard side for this washer,

Options:
1. Can pull the fork apart another 2.85mm and install this? will it stress out the fork?
2. Get thinner axle washers? OD of the axle is 13.84mm or 0.545 inches

Attachments

• axle_washer_1.jpg
    axle_washer_1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 492
I try to get a washer between the motor/frame on both sides. Feel better about it absorbing a little more of the force vs that little ledge on the axle, which could "drill" into the frame over time.

Sometimes the washers need to be thinner. I prefer to have the motor come out easy, as I don't want to be pulling the frame or fork while someone else pulls on the wheel when changng a flat on the road, I have changed flats on the road. .

docw009 said:
I try to get a washer between the motor/frame on both sides. Feel better about it absorbing a little more of the force vs that little ledge on the axle, which could "drill" into the frame over time.

Sometimes the washers need to be thinner. I prefer to have the motor come out easy, as I don't want to be pulling the frame or fork while someone else pulls on the wheel when changng a flat on the road, I have changed flats on the road. .

Axle washer -
The washer that came with the kit fit, I had to help it a little. Yes, good to spread out the force.

48v -
yoohoo, it works with 48v.

Rear Rack for full suspension Mongoose -
Anyone care to share idea on how I can mount a rear rack to the FULL SUSPENSION bike?

markz said:
Seat post rack

1111.jpg

gobi said:
Rear Rack for full suspension Mongoose -
Anyone care to share idea on how I can mount a rear rack to the FULL SUSPENSION bike?
Mark,
I went out and bought one, the problem is that I have to raise the seat to make this fit. Once the seat is raised, the height is bit too tall my youngest D. lol, no go for now.
It is back to the rear rack I bought off amazon.

I will post a pic, maybe you guys can chime in alternate ideas to triangulate another post to support the front of the rear rack.

markz said:
What bike do you have, any pics? links to your bike?

gobi said:

PIc of bike below
and then the rear rack I tried to install,

Problem - the front arm that came this rack does NOT reach the brake bolts.

Possible solution:
I found Cargo racks on ebay with ARMs that can extend, I am thinking of buying of these racks and using the front arms to support rack.
Only thing I am not sure if the length of the ebay arms at their shortest.

I measured and I need 11 inches to support the front of the rack.

Attachments

• mongoose_full1.jpg
    mongoose_full1.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 315
  • rack_arms.jpg
    rack_arms.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 315
  • rack_front_support_wtf.jpg
    rack_front_support_wtf.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 314
Back