Beginning Question

BillC

1 µW
Looking for guidance on the topic of adding electric power to a low price tag tandem bike.

The situation is this:

1.) We have a tandem bike that is simply not used enough. This is due to a balance issue and the ability of my wife to accurately pedal and allow gear changes.
2.) The balance issue is not too bad as long as momentum is present but dicey at lower speeds.
3.) It is my belief that if we add electric drive to the bike it would allow us to use it more often and more comfortably.
4.) Since we live in the outskirts of Denver our terrain is not all that level which presents issues with the torque required and battery power needed.
5.) I strongly suspect that actual pedaling would occur but we would use electric power far more often.
6.) On the strong side, wiring and mechanical work are not an issue as I was an automotive technician specializing in electronics and general repairs.

WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR: Simply this, a few solid recommendations on complete kits that would allow us to add electrical power to the tandem bike we now own. I am leaning more toward the concept of a front hub motor assembly as opposed to a rear motor option. Battery mounting is helped by a relatively clear lower frame member, but a solid recommendation on battery size will be appreciated.

Does your tandem have really good brakes?
I've had electrified tandems, and it is pretty startling how much the momentum builds.

And front motor could be fine, esp if you have a rigid fork. Off-road you really want rear drive, but as long as you don't want to do wheelies together fronts fine.

For the terrain, and the weight, you need a mid drive. Slow speeds, that much weight, and hills can fry hub motors, unless they are moped/motorcycle strength. 2000w on up.

Might be better to put each of you on a nice e bike, than try to keep riding the tandem. Low speed balance will continue to be a problem. But that might improve if you remove the rear cranks, and give her footpegs. I'm assuming her pedals can't freewheel. Its hard for her if not, like riding a fixie.

With a mid drive, a tandem can be turned into a hell of a good cargo bike. If you want to go that route, it can carry huge panniers with 6 bags of groceries in them, and a pizza on the top deck.

Back