what rim brake is this?

goatman

10 MW
Its just on one side of the wheel, as you can see through the disk to the other side and there is no metal on the other side.

This one is custom made, but the design is old and had been used in board track racing.

Buell was doing that nonsense the better part of 20 years ago.

images

To me, it looks like a good way to subtract one of the few advantages of a disc brake-- its independence of the condition of the rim.

Chalo said:
images

To me, it looks like a good way to subtract one of the few advantages of a disc brake-- its independence of the condition of the rim.

It does allow for the largest radius rotor, by locating the caliper inboard, so a braking advantage. On a cast motorcycle wheel, I don't think rim condition really comes into play.

E-HP said:
On a cast motorcycle wheel, I don't think rim condition really comes into play.

You'd think so, but I dented two cast front wheels on my last motorcycle without ever knowing when it happened.

The perimeter disc brake was supposed to have better cooling since a greater portion of the disc was exposed to the air. It also supposedly allowed for a lighter front wheel since the spokes don't have to deal with braking forces.
Dunno how much a lighter front wheel helps on a rigid front fork like this though..

AussieRider

Back