Sabvoton 96120 odd issue

Bobby.T

10 mW
Hi guys 1st time posting but been lurking for a while. I have a sabvoton 96120 arriving tomorrow and have a good grasp of what settings I want to run and how to wire it up. However 1 portion of the instructions does confuse me
"if 3 speed (switch) mode selected,
Connect the pink and ground wire. Enter high speed mode
Connect the transparent and ground wire. Enter low speed mode
Disconnect pink ,transparent wire and ground ,enter middle speed mode
"
I will be running the 3 speed switch, the bike is an emmo Kamen with a 30ah 22s 100amp bms+qs260 v4 6000w motor.
I know the bike has the 3 wires for the 3 speed all ready and the controller should have 3 wires as well, why can't I just plug and play? The instructions make it sound like I need to do the 3 speed wires in an odd sequence.

amberwolf said:
Kylowrench said:
1. please set rated phase current to 60A, then the power is 48V 2000W. Setting DC current and Boost Current is useless
2.I don’t understand what you mean, power is related to current. Do you mean that under the same current and the same lever setting, full throttle sometimes the power is different? They later said “it varies” lol

What they apparently mean is that the controller software is poorly written, and the DC Current and Boost Current settings don't work correctly or at all, etc.

So the setting they seem to think does work is the phase current, which si the current not at the gbattery wires but at the motor phase wires, which is usualy higher by some ratio than the battery current. Whether this will really limit you to a strict 2000w, I can't say as I don't know the specifics of how that controller interprets all it's settings and how they all interact in actual operation.

3.Please set the correct value of "motor poles pair" in the APP - not sure what to set this to for my Voliamart 1000W rear hub
It's probably 23. If you put your voltmeter to 20DCVolts, and it's black lead on battery negative, and its' red lead on any of the hall signal wires, then carefully rotate the wheel one rotation, watching the display the whole time. Count the number of times it changes from around 0-1v to around 4-5v. That's the #poles (pairs).

PLEASE HELP!!! I am in the process of hooking up a 96120 and I can't get the 3 speed to work and my throttle is going to wide open @ 1.8v. even though I have it set to 5v max. 3 middle and 1.5 min
Also please help me understand the way to hook up the 3 speed, I have the bluetooth and have set it to 3 speed switch

azrin said:
Hello everyone,

I am Azrin, I am new about Sabvoton Motor Controller. Basically i just want to know how to set the parameter according to speed which is (low, Medium, high). because when I set to low speed or high speed the speed is same when I in full throttle. maybe some of you may share an ideas.

Was this solved? also no matter what I set the voltages to for throttle I am getting max speed at min throttle, also I hooked the hall meter wire to the display yet no speed is showing up, plus my 3 speed is set as a switch yet no change when I try low/med/high
Also according the qs motors my motor is 120 hall angle but the test came back with 243????????

One single post containing all the complete details of your setup, your settings, your step-by-step troubleshooting so far, your results, and what you would rather it would do would be much more helpful for us to be able to help you than three incomplete-info posts all in a row. ;)

amberwolf said:
One single post containing all the complete details of your setup, your settings, your step-by-step troubleshooting so far, your results, and what you would rather it would do would be much more helpful for us to be able to help you than three incomplete-info posts all in a row. ;)
OK its on an EMMO Kamen, with a 22s 30ah 100amp bms, sabvoton 96120 with a qs260 v4 6000w
no e brake, set to 3 speed switch, no reverse, flux is on @ 50amp I have regen off, Throttle min voltage is set at 1.3, mid is at 4 max is 5 mid current is 225, accel and deccel are at 200, for motor 16 poles, no limit on speed, internal speed%@100, med is supposed to be 85 and low 30, my input and output settings are stock.
on the parameters screen it is sitting at 1.21v throttle and that seems high.
I was told from qs the motor is a 120 degree hall angle. I preformed a hall test and it came back @243?
So what I would like to accomplish is a gradual throttle response, it seems to want to go to max even at a signal of 1.6 or more
I would also like to have my 3 speed working correctly.
I think I need to go over the wires on the bike side, even though I traced the throttle and 3 speed right to the actual throttle.

Bobby.T said:
Throttle min voltage is set at 1.3, mid is at 4 max is 5
What kind of throttle does it have? Is it a hall-based throttle, or potentiometer-based? The former will have a variable output somewhere in the ~1v-4v range, and the latter will typically have the entire 0v-5v range, measured with a voltmeter at the actual throttle connector or wires with it plugged into the controller.

The settings you have appear to be a mix of what would normally be used for a hall (the min voltage) and what would be used for a pot throttle (mid and max).

What does it read at the throttle connector with a voltmeter? (cant' always trust what an imperfectly-functioning system tells you).

I was told from qs the motor is a 120 degree hall angle. I preformed a hall test and it came back @243?
"Sabvotons" are one of several controllers that don't display things in a logical way, and that also tend to have problems with various motor halls. There are a number of threads that talk about those problems if you run into them.

So what I would like to accomplish is a gradual throttle response, it seems to want to go to max even at a signal of 1.6 or more
I think I need to go over the wires on the bike side, even though I traced the throttle and 3 speed right to the actual throttle.

The way you say this implies the 3 speed switch and the throttle are on the same physical part, and their wiring is in the same cable. If so, is it possible any of the wires are mixed up between the two, in the present wiring setup?

amberwolf said:
Bobby.T said:
What kind of throttle does it have? Is it a hall-based throttle, or potentiometer-based? The former will have a variable output somewhere in the ~1v-4v range, and the latter will typically have the entire 0v-5v range, measured with a voltmeter at the actual throttle connector or wires with it plugged into the controller.

The settings you have appear to be a mix of what would normally be used for a hall (the min voltage) and what would be used for a pot throttle (mid and max).

What does it read at the throttle connector with a voltmeter? (cant' always trust what an imperfectly-functioning system tells you).

"Sabvotons" are one of several controllers that don't display things in a logical way, and that also tend to have problems with various motor halls. There are a number of threads that talk about those problems if you run into them.

The way you say this implies the 3 speed switch and the throttle are on the same physical part, and their wiring is in the same cable. If so, is it possible any of the wires are mixed up between the two, in the present wiring setup?

I seem to have figured out the abrupt throttle, Its basically just a ton of power so with no load it gets to high rpm fast.
Still can't the the 3 speed going, going to have to go over the wires
my actual v range at the plug is .9v-5v
Should I leave the 243 setting after the test or the 120 qs says it is?
also is there a set range of v I should see when I articulate the 3 speed switch when I am looking with the volt meter?
What should I set my mid throttle phase amps for? I also tried hard start and I got an over current error

amberwolf said:
Bobby.T said:

OK I think I figured out my issue, since I had to run the motor in reverse the 3 speed wires also had to be reversed.

amberwolf said:
I guess the mobile app does not have the option to turn on Cruise control. Once I go into the PC interface and turn on the cruise control do I need to make any connections? or does it go through the 3 speed?
I believe on my bike the cruise control wire is not part of the throttle/3 speed.
Also is it true that the sabvoton controllers do not work with traditional speedometers? I cannot get mine working.

Bobby.T said:
I believe on my bike the cruise control wire is not part of the throttle/3 speed.

I do not think cruise control somehow linked with any kind of throttle, including 3 speed ones, unless throttles with cruise control button on it.

Bobby.T said:
Also is it true that the sabvoton controllers do not work with traditional speedometers? I cannot get mine working.

Works from the box only with UKC-1 and 750C displays

Sabvoton 96120 running a 23s 30AH 100amp bms lithium on a 14in q260 5000w v4. Settings are default,lack voltage is 66 limiting voltage is 68, flux weakening and all regen options are off., Throttle voltage reads 1.25@ idle, settings are min thr voltage 2.4, mid is 3.5 and max is 4.9
So what happens is when I 1st turn the bike on it seems to need about 30 seconds run time or about 45 seconds just sitting there for it to give me all the power. Its almost like it needs time to get out of current limiting. Whats odd is a buddy is running the same controller on an 50amp 30ah lithium on a q260 v1 with identical settings and his has full power as soon as you turn it on. Is there some silly thing I am missing??, also motor has 16 poles and hall test comes back @243

Has anyone had an odd issue where the controller isn't giving 100% power for about 30 seconds after start up?
running a 96120. I am fairly familiar with the wiring and the android app. Is there a setting on the PC that may be causing my issue?

Back