Rear HUB drive kit with torque sensor (bottom bracket), Bafang, Tongsheng

lokz

1 mW
Hello,

I need help finding some kit within EU or China, since mid drive TSDZ2 does not fit and BBS02 is cadence based only.
My bike:
https://www.cube.eu/en/2016/mtb-hardtail/attention/cube-attention-whitenblack-2016/

Frame 21", wheels 29"

First, I want to know what is optimal engine power for pedal assisted MTB rides. I want to pedal, I enjoy that sport, but for longer mountain trips I need some assistance. 350W?, 500W?
I aim for geared hub drives, light as it can be, with as less resistance on pedals when not using motor power.

Next, is there any EU based company that can help me find the best option for my bike and sell me that kit?

That is all for the start, please write your opinions, advices.

Doubt there are many T/S rear hub kits. Torque sensing is an over rated biking experience in my opinion, when I test rode them a few years ago, I have yet to install my TsDZ2, but plan to do it soon.

Most of our hub motor ebike conversions use KT torque simulation controllers. This is basically current control on the pedal assist. Works smooth and if one picks the appropriate level, seems pretty natural to me. One can program the controller for a specified amount of watts in level 1, and it increases with level. Setting 80 -100 watts in level 1 makes for a fairly natural pedal feel. Yes, if the bike is moving, you can spin the pedals lazily and the bike runs w/o effort, but the idea is to go faster and pedal at the top of the power range for that level, and then you and the motor will share the work.

ALso have a Bafang BBS02, and while their PAS is cruder, it doesn't feel artificially boosted, as there are 9 levels of assist.

However, you can buy a torque sensing BB from Grin ebikes in Vancouver, Canada, add their cycle analyst display, and for about $200-250 USD, plus shipping, it will convert your pedal torque to a voltage for the throttle input on your controller. I'm not that much of a cycling purist that I want to add $250 to the $100 worth of electronics on my bikes.I hear it works great though.

Used Grin's bottom bracket torque sensor combined with CA on my Scorpion ebike conversion.
Works well with geared hub motor I chose to use and phaserunner.

Do they sell whole conversion kits or only BB TS?

ATinkerer said:
Used Grin's bottom bracket torque sensor combined with CA on my Scorpion ebike conversion.
Works well with geared hub motor I chose to use and phaserunner.

BBS02 would fit to my bike. I read its build quality is better than TSDZ2.
The reason I am trying to convert my bike to eBike is extra assistance uphill. I still want to pedal a lot, because that is bikes are for.
But years are catching, I cannot pedal as I could 5-6 years ago.
I would go for Bafang BBS02, but I am afraid that cadene sensing will not be as great feeling as riding regular bike, if you know what I mean.

docw009 said:
Doubt there are many T/S rear hub kits. Torque sensing is an over rated biking experience in my opinion, when I test rode them a few years ago, I have yet to install my TsDZ2, but plan to do it soon.

Most of our hub motor ebike conversions use KT torque simulation controllers. This is basically current control on the pedal assist. Works smooth and if one picks the appropriate level, seems pretty natural to me. One can program the controller for a specified amount of watts in level 1, and it increases with level. Setting 80 -100 watts in level 1 makes for a fairly natural pedal feel. Yes, if the bike is moving, you can spin the pedals lazily and the bike runs w/o effort, but the idea is to go faster and pedal at the top of the power range for that level, and then you and the motor will share the work.

ALso have a Bafang BBS02, and while their PAS is cruder, it doesn't feel artificially boosted, as there are 9 levels of assist.

However, you can buy a torque sensing BB from Grin ebikes in Vancouver, Canada, add their cycle analyst display, and for about $200-250 USD, plus shipping, it will convert your pedal torque to a voltage for the throttle input on your controller. I'm not that much of a cycling purist that I want to add $250 to the $100 worth of electronics on my bikes.I hear it works great though.

Your choice. Grin will sell component parts, or a coordinated kit.
As the other poster mentioned, they are not cheap.
Compared with complete ebike purchase, could be considered inexpensive, if you have the talent to assemble, program and test what you select.

Pedal power and throttle assist power work really well together. Pedal power along with throttle and cruise control power work even better together.

Torque sensor pedal power along with throttle power worked very well on the Bafang Ultra mid drive bike I rode.

Pedaling sensor, either rpm or torque, is not needed, I just pedal hard as I want at the moment and use the throttle to give the speed I want.

Again, throttle with cruise control and pedaling as hard as you want at the moment works best.

Cycle Analyst V3 is just fine for this.

Cruise control lets you leave the rear derailleur shifter on the right side, rather than moving it to the left where the front shifter is.

Hope this helps.

PS, rpm pedal sensor is just wrong because it's counter intuitive.

Back