Vector Vortex, build vs. buy?

okie

10 mW
I've landed on a Vector Vortex as the best, most cost effective solution to my needs. Now I'm faced with the decision to build or buy.

I definitely don't need all the features of the fully assembled one, so that might offer some cost savings right there. It looks like the factory one with the large battery would be 6800, and adding up all the individual parts I would need for a no frills build with the same battery it looks like I would be in it for about 4500.

I've researched pretty thoroughly what the build would involve, and I'm very confident that I can pull it off. I've built 3d printers from parts kits, and this feels like a lot of the same things on a much larger scale. I've also programmed lots of radios, and that looks like its oddly similar to programming the controller (assuming I can't talk Vector into flashing their stock settings for me). So assuming I can get the stock settings, programming the controller shouldn't be a problem.

So that's where I'm at mentally right now. I'm thinking I can pull this off for about 5k or maybe a little less, all in, and I'm not expecting any major headaches in the assembly process. I also have the basic tools I would expect to be required, like sockets, hex keys, torque wrenches, etc.

One major question I still have though is if I will get hit with a huge customs bill. I will be ordering almost everything from Vector, including the frame, motor, battery, brakes, and probably the fork. So moral of the story is it's going to be about a 4k dollar order coming through customs, so if the tariffs are high that could potentially eat up anything I saved by building.

I haven't looked too closely at their offerings, but if you're going to build I would strongly suggest comparison shopping for components and not just buying from them blindly.

Look at QS for motors. Nucular, ASI, or Grin Phaserunner for controllers. For battery, em3ev if ordering from overseas, or a trusted local assembler if not. Maybe lipos if you're feeling lucky. Aside from that, pick your poison when it comes to the rest of the bicycle parts. Crunch the numbers and decide which makes the most sense for you.

HK12K said:
I haven't looked too closely at their offerings, but if you're going to build I would strongly suggest comparison shopping for components and not just buying from them blindly.

Look at QS for motors. Nucular, ASI, or Grin Phaserunner for controllers. For battery, em3ev if ordering from overseas, or a trusted local assembler if not. Maybe lipos if you're feeling lucky. Aside from that, pick your poison when it comes to the rest of the bicycle parts. Crunch the numbers and decide which makes the most sense for you.

I ended up going with Qulbix for the frame, the Q76. I really like how low profile it is.

Ordered the motor, controller, and wheels from QS directly. The 3kw 205 on a 19" rim, 19" front wheel, and the Sabvoton 72150 factory unlocked from them. I looked at Nucular, but they were seven months out.

I ordered the battery from Lightspeed. They have a custom footprint they use especially for the Q76 that gives you a 28ah 72v battery they say will do 30 miles dogging it hard. I got the 3t winding on the motor, so hopefully that range estimate from them will be accurate. It's flat here, and I'm going to use it for commuting, so it's a best case scenario for range.

Probably going to order the DNM fork and shock here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32959888232.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.154c5499uxrEtr&algo_pvid=263e3a4d-2634-43ae-a205-a40b323d5591&algo_exp_id=263e3a4d-2634-43ae-a205-a40b323d5591-5

Then probably going with the Magura estop system here: https://www.magura.com/en/components/news/2019/magura-estop-e-bike-optimized-technology/

That all look kosher?

Back