cav3 + phaserunner config questions

qwerkus

10 kW
Hello,

Long time diy builder, but pretty new to this cav3 + phaserunner stuff. Could use some help. The setup is rather simple: long john, front fh212 dd hub, phaserunner, 2x 13s5p batteries and a torque sensor. Motor autotune worked fine, torque sensor also. Overall, the cargo bike moves, but there are still a couple of issues I'd like to solve:
1 - at low speed (<20kmph) the motor vibrates A LOT (+quite noisy). Wasn't a problem with old cheap KT controller. I put the phaserunner in "hall startup than foc" mode - doesn't seem to help. Anything I could tweak to improve this ?
2 - I don t have ebrakes but I do have a throttle that I'm not using (the torque sensor works very well). How do I configure that throttle to work as proportional regen without ebrakes ?
Thanks a lot for your help,

qwerkus

Update. Made some progress. Motor still vibrating a lot, but sine I turned max phase amps all the way up, they don't last as long. On the regen front, I hooked my throttle to the CAv3 ebrake connector and now it works like a ebrake - as expected. Though no progressive regen; when the throttle is pulled, it seems to apply a steady regen rate instead of increasing like it should. Any idea what I'm doing wrong ?

One possibility could be that the throttle input is mapped 1 to 1 to the throttle output, which means only the range 0-0.8V is used, which is pretty much impossible to controller on a 5V throttle. How do I map the entire throttle Input range to 0-0.8V throttle out for regen ?

It's been two years and still working as expected. Did not want to hook my regen with my bike brakes, have put a push button close to my throttle. Throttle is hooked up normal and push button replaces the hand brake switch. Push the button it cuts motor and engages regen (how hard it comes on can be adjusted in CA3), then start applying the throttle this increases the regen.

My throttle is just hooked up as a throttle but once the regen is engaged CA3 uses it to vary the regen.

This is my main braking 90%, only use my disc brakes to hold the bike at a stop or to avoid death.

in Output Torque Ramping, you could try changing your torque up rate to 50ms from 200ms.

how many amps regen have you set? do the math, the battery voltage x amps regen gives you the regen watts on the ca3 display

you might need to crank up regen amps to up the braking force

ZeroEm said:
It's been two years and still working as expected. Did not want to hook my regen with my bike brakes, have put a push button close to my throttle. Throttle is hooked up normal and push button replaces the hand brake switch. Push the button it cuts motor and engages regen (how hard it comes on can be adjusted in CA3), then start applying the throttle this increases the regen.

My throttle is just hooked up as a throttle but once the regen is engaged CA3 uses it to vary the regen.

This is my main braking 90%, only use my disc brakes to hold the bike at a stop or to avoid death.

That's exactly the kind of setup I don't want. Why the need for 2 different controls ? One lever should be enough to activate ebrake + progressive regen. If only I could teach this to the CAv3...
Maybe I should just rewire the throttle and bridge 2 wires the ebrake connector ? But than either the throttle is going to be constantly activated, or the ebrake...

Back