moonsaddle

bobc186

1 µW
i recently came across this saddle from another ebike rider in a facebook post…does anyone have any experience, pros or cons about the saddle….from an anatomy standpoint it looks good…….   https://www.moonsaddle.com.      thanks for looking……

Nature had granted us with a large variety of butt shapes, sizes, and malformations. You can't ask another individual about the comfort of a saddle, for his anatomy and preferences are very unlikely to be matching yours. There are some very weird saddles out there, probably designed by people who had some weird butts, problems or preferences. Butt, who are we to judge theirs. :mrgreen:

Tooth picks vs normal vs big boned vs obese
Everyone's different and everyone has their preferences, some like a hard stiff saddle others like a soft springy cushy saddle.

The moonsaddle doesnt look good as a seat as there is no elongated middle section (nose section) that is needed for riding, especially technical sections. I remember Chalo talking about so I linked a few links to refresh my memory as I needed a good seat and couldnt find one. I just buy a cheap Bell seat with the elastromer springs, that last for some time before my weight breaks the rails. I think the next one I buy will be the Bell and I will buy some hockey pucks to shave to fit between the rails and the seat base. Like a lot of the comments in the links I provided, I have broken many seats, I like the big cushy seats with the big coils but with my weight and aligned seat post clamp to middle of seat so theres not to much leverage. My riding my bum gets tired so I need a good minute standing on the pedals so I need the nose of the seat to control the bike while riding.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29466&p=634285&hilit=saddle#p634285
How often do you need to ride while off the seat? While holding only one side of the bars? These are also circumstances when riding with a noseless saddle leads to impairment.

You don't technically need bars with both sides, but why would you want to go without?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29466&p=634285&hilit=saddle#p634335

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=97740&p=1431892&hilit=nose#p1431892
Avoid noseless saddles like Easy Seat, Ergo The Seat, Spongy Wonder, etc. The saddle nose is there for a reason; like your handlebar grips and pedal treads, it's one of the interfaces by which you maintain control of the bike. I don't find such saddles comfortable, but even if you do, they handicap your ability to manage the bike.

bobc186 said:
i recently came across this saddle from another ebike rider in a facebook post…does anyone have any experience, pros or cons about the saddle….from an anatomy standpoint it looks good…….   https://www.moonsaddle.com.      thanks for looking……

The main thing people don't understand about saddles, is they think you are supposed to sit on them.

And sure, you do that, some. But while pedaling hard, or at least briskly, you should not have much of your body weight on that saddle. It should be about 75% on your feet.

But e bikes are ridden differently, and you will find yourself sitting a lot more. I found myself switching to a saddle with some springs built into the rear of it, and a little wider. Not too wide or I'd chafe by mile 30 or so, but not the skinny hard leather saddles I'd loved for 40 years.

Try anything, try it all, as much as you can afford to. Try shit till you find what your butt likes, for the way you ride. But if you really have butt issues on a bike, you might be loving the switch to a semi recumbent bike, with its more lawn chair type seat.

As for needing the nose, it can be lived without it. You will need to learn to countersteer more, just as you do when you switch from riding small motorcycles to a scooter, which has no tank to lean your knee on. Master countersteering, and you won't miss the nose on the saddle.

marty said:
If you are the male sex? Narrow bicycle seats can cause, squashed prostate gland, lower testosterone levels, abnormal sperms, and make you speak in a high pitched voice.

Maybe if you are a professional cyclist and spend like 8 hours a day on the saddle. Amongst the heavy duty riders I know, nobody ever showed that kind of simptoms. Knee and lower back pain is far more common. That beeing said, I'm all in favor of wider more comfortable saddles though they often come with an upward riding position that can quickly become painful during long trips.

dogman dan said:
And sure, you do that, some. But while pedaling hard, or at least briskly, you should not have much of your body weight on that saddle. It should be about 75% on your feet.

You sure about that number ? A fair chunk of weight should rest on the handlebars - one of the reasons more aggressively leaning forward riding positions are advantageous for longer trips.

Noseless saddles have been tried since, well, bicycles. They are always designed by people who don't really ride. They come and they go... because they all suck.

So if you have found a new one, and you think it's a good idea, then go for it. Better yet, get a recumbent bicycle because who knows? Maybe you understand things more clearly than 150+ years of cyclists who came before you.

A noseless saddle makes the same sense as a gripless handlebar. You can try one of those while you're at it.

Roadie who rides noseless saddles, likes the shape of ISM and Cobb. I don't know what to think of the moon saddle. Seems wrong.

Saddle nose makes no difference to me WRT to control. In or out of the saddle. There is certainly a difference in comfort and the ability to rotate the pelvis.
People who spend a lot of time out of the saddle are MTBers... and want a dropper to get the saddle out of the way.

qwerkus said:
dogman dan said:

You sure about that number ? A fair chunk of weight should rest on the handlebars - one of the reasons more aggressively leaning forward riding positions are advantageous for longer trips.

That is not right... unless you want to pound your hands and wrists. Average roadie is usually balanced on feet, not full weight on the seat supported by core muscles and shouldn't have so much weight on their arms they strain their triceps and end up locking elbows. Racers are usually a fair bit lighter than the average ebiker... who tend towards overweight middle age men soft pedalling if at all.

BTW, don't trust the bike shop wannabe as a reliable or qualified source. You go to him if you want a derailleur, not for fit or anatomical advice.

Back