Best 26 in tires

999zip999

100 TW
I mainly ride trails and street but some of the Horse Trail I ride I don't need a mountain bike Style knobby tread what I do need is not get a flat right now I'm running Kenda moped Rated Tire it's tough as can be but I want to run something a little wider it's 0. 1 9 5 with phone

I prefer The Schwalbe Land Cruiser style of tread. One continuous band of rubber around the middle for long wear and smoothness and the rest chunky like a MTB tire.
There's lot's of variants, ie; level of flat protection, wire bead or no wire bead, reflective sidewall or not, etc. and the ones that ship from Europe can take a while.
They are skinny w/ 2.00 being the max width, but when you go out to the 2.30" and up sizes, you pretty much have to start thinking about different tread styles, mostly the "mini-block" styles, like the Crazy Bobs.
https://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Land-Cruiser-Mountain-Tires/dp/B01B7WWD8G/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=SCHWALBE+Land+Cruiser&qid=1624840114&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-3

MadRhino said:
3rd identical thread in a day. Come on, make another one. :D

3 identical threads - All an hour apart!

by 999zip999 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:55 am
by 999zip999 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:00 pm
by 999zip999 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:54 pm

I don't know how that would have happened it must be a malfunction with my phone I have a keyboard that shows up my phone I'm going to have to go in and have them take it off I just won't go away my phone is running its own show sorry

The first one you misspelled and tried to correct, but waited an hour for a bite perhaps or a cool drink
From - I miss you ride trails
To - I mainly ride trails
So a glitch in your phone is a reasonable answer.
Did you have multiple windows open on ES pages while logged in?

Best 26 in tires

Post by 999zip999 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:55 am
I miss you ride trails in street but some of the Horse Trail I ride I don't need a mountain bike Style knobby tread what I do need is not get a flat right now I'm running Kenda moped Rated Tire it's tough as can be but I want to run something a little wider it's 0.195

Best 26 in tires

Post by 999zip999 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:00 pm
I mainly ride trails and street but some of the Horse Trail I ride I don't need a mountain bike Style knobby tread what I do need is not get a flat right now I'm running Kenda moped Rated Tire it's tough as can be but I want to run something a little wider it's 0. 1 9 5 with phone

Best 26 in tires

Post by 999zip999 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:54 pm

999zip999 said:
I don't know how that would have happened it must be a malfunction with my phone I have a keyboard that shows up my phone I'm going to have to go in and have them take it off I just won't go away my phone is running its own show sorry

I was not accusing you of trolling. Just found it funny and knew there must be some explanation. :D

yeah my phone froze and I couldn't get the keyboard off the top of the screen to do anyting.
Ok I do have kenda journey 26x1.95. these tires are H50 rated moped tires are mopeds on the sidewalk. I was looking for a 2.0 or 2.1 I also have two maxxis hookworm 26x 2.50 . I would like 2.1 or so. I'm used these on old chromoly Giants rim brakes

I can tell you one thing, Vee Tires Chicane (with the red tread) are not a good tire to purchase, I have the 26x3.50 size and the side walls wont hold up much longer, I havent used that tire much, barely put tons of miles on them. I had to switch it out for the spider tread tire that came with one of the fat bikes I purchased. I don't think it was the the Costco fat bike but it could very well have been. Sturdy and heavy.

Schwalbe's are good tires
Marathon Plus
Smart Sam Plus
Smart Sam Double Defense
Magic Mary Bikepark and others - https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/magic_mary_447
Tough Tom

Can't go wrong with some Kenda Thorn Proof tubes - https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/kenda-thorn-resistant-tube

markz said:
I can tell you one thing, Vee Tires Chicane (with the red tread) are not a good tire to purchase, I have the 26x3.50 size and the side walls wont hold up much longer,

Did you mount them on appropriately wide 65-90mm rims? Mounting tires on too-narrow rims works okay (as long as you overinflate them), but it's hard on the tire sidewalls.

The rim tape says 80, and the psi was within range for the Vee Chicane 8-30psi.
Guesstimate would be 20psi by the deflection of the tire when I sit on it and the index finger pushing down on the tire.
I need something with more tread on it anyways, I slide out a couple weeks ago and had pretty bad road rash.

Vee Tire Chicane 26x3.50

tire3.jpg

This is the new tire, off a fat bike I had purchased but the tread makes to much sound and I had replaced it with the Chicane after going over the bike when I purchased it. Spider tread, 26 x 4.0, much heavier, stiffer and louder then the Chicane.

tire1.jpg

999zip999 said:
do spider tires wear out fast.

I do not know, guess I will be finding out how long the loud tread tire lasts. TBH, as soon as my tires from the motorcycle shops catalogue is stocked I am switching over to 21" rims. I placed the 21" rim up next to a 26" fat bike wheel and it looked close that I might try mc uhd tubes on 26x4.0 fat tire.

Dealing with some nasty holes in the tubes from a double flat I had July 1, with spares that had holes in them as well that I must've grabbed the wrong ones or forgot/to lazy to patch. Luckily the train was 2 blocks away and a quick call for a ride made it easy to get home and get to fixing everything, pipe caused an extra broken spoke to add to the existing 2 or 3 that I had for months. If it was a rear hub it would have never lasted a week with 330lbs on it, mind you it could've been 380lbs just as easy.

1"Dx3"H pipe

20210703_160303.jpg

20210703_160312.jpg

Probly not going to be popular saying this with those running fat bike tyres on the street, :pancake:
but best tyre for an ebike I find is by far a 2.4 knobbly MTB tyre on 30mm DH rim 38 psi ,
ive had no punctures in over a year, just saying, :wink:
fat tyres not optimal for an Ebike to much flex especially cornering at speed made worse if you running low pressure, yes they say can go low but don't forget extra weight of an ebike,
if you only got 20 psi in and weigh more than 150lb is quite a lot to ask from a sidewall, they also weigh more, and have a higher rolling resistance, also twice the contact patch area to pick up punctures,
flotation tyres best for sand and snow or as a last resort for suspension on a rigid frame :roll: I have tested tons of tyres, and don't put lot of stock in some of the expensive brand name tyres either,
the set of kendas I have now not a very heavy tyre but have lasted way longer than I expected, :D and as they have worn the rolling resistance has gone down and grip has increased loads,
work really well on tarmac when worn the center gives semi slick feel going straight , but still confident on wet grass and mud as tread on side sinks in and bites, dont think would be as fast or controlled on any other tyre type :mrgreen:

I don't like 26x4.0, the 26x3.50 was a tad large, I would have preferred 26x3.0 but I had purchased that Vee Tire Chicane for like $25 from Chain Reaction Cycle normal price was $60+
I was seriously thinking about buying 4 total and was disgruntled when they were sold out, thankfully I did not buy more then one. 26x2.50-3.00 is the right size, I remember reading somewhere that motorcycle tires are listed as one size and actually a tad larger, but hey I haven't confirmed that, but I got my eyes on 2.75 mc tire and 3.00 mc tire.

I occasionally ride river rock and large rock shores along with the rare bogs when I go fishing on my ebike, but seeking a good compromise for asphalt riding, and single track.

markz said:
I don't like 26x4.0, the 26x3.50 was a tad large, I would have preferred 26x3.0 but I had purchased that Vee Tire Chicane for like $25 from Chain Reaction Cycle normal price was $60+
I was seriously thinking about buying 4 total and was disgruntled when they were sold out, thankfully I did not buy more then one. 26x2.50-3.00 is the right size, I remember reading somewhere that motorcycle tires are listed as one size and actually a tad larger, but hey I haven't confirmed that, but I got my eyes on 2.75 mc tire and 3.00 mc tire.

I occasionally ride river rock and large rock shores along with the rare bogs when I go fishing on my ebike, but seeking a good compromise for asphalt riding, and single track.

Similar experience here. Went the fat bike 4" route because I wanted to see what a lot of guys were raving about. After trying both the original noisy trail tires, and silent but self steering street tires, I found I didn't care for those at all Went with a 3" street tire on the same 80mm rims that the 4" were mounted on, and found that much better - but still less than ideal. Feels heavy, with a lot of rolling resistance. New plan is to lace up some 27.5"+ rims on to the original fat hubs and give that a try. Thinking rims with a 35-40mm width should let me try some tires in the 2.4"-2.8" range. Schwalbe has some awesome low pressure tires with very low rolling resistance I'd like to try. I'm using Schwalbe Super Moto-X 27.5x2.4" on a city bike, and they're just outstanding for ride AND rolling resistance. Looking for similar performance from the bike that was originally a fatty.

markz said:

My bike is 26+ (50mm rims) and I've found that trail tires in the 2.75-3.0 range are extremely limited, both in selection and availability. It's basically the Surly Dirt Wizard and WTB Ranger. Dirt Wizards are 90 bucks/pop and Rangers are $60+. There's a few DH-focused tires available in the size range but they are more aggressive than I really want.

999zip999 said:
do spider tires wear out fast.

Spider tire wore out fast, luckily I have 2 other fat tires, another spider tire and a fat tire from the costco fat bike. I have : a good fat tube, another fat tube that I need to fix.
My long time mini pump bit the dust yesterday, SportChek saved the day was 5 blocks away and rode on a flat front which suprisingly the bicycle tire held up. Heck I remember the last fat bike the 19x4 knobby motorcycle tire would run flat and you wouldnt even notice it :lol: there was so much rubber, but weighed a ton :lol: something Im willing to do for no flats.
I can't seem to find a suitable 90mm BB for the stock bb I bent the axle from a crash.
I need a 180mm rear dropout hub which are sold out, to replace a 160mm hub in a 180mm rear dropout.
Then I need to lace that into a 21" motorcycle rim which I have but 21x3.00 or 80/100, 90/100 tires are sold out and have been for months, match that with 4-5mm UHD tubes which all adds lots of weight but wont have to worry about getting another flat, or wonder if that glass will puncture the bicycle tube.

I use slime extra thick 2 and the only problem I've ever had was the valve stem ripped off 4 times. I glue the tire down with gasket cinch now.

I bought a new tube where it had slime already in it for puncture protection.
Had to take some air out and the f'ing slime gunked up the valve a bit.
Had another tube with same f'ing slime in it for puncture protection and got a rip, f'ing slime got everywhere.

No more slime for me or tubes with slime. Could not trust what air pressure was in the tire.

Good tires, thick tubes and need be cut an old tube and make a liner out of it.

Back