Derailleur/hanger compatibility questions

COAR

100 W
I bought a new Advent X drivetrain and everything bolted up seemingly well to my existing hardware. However it seems my derailleur is pushed pretty far outboard. I have to pretty much loosen the limit screw completely to be able push the derailleur over to the lowest gear position. Note: this is just extending the derailleur and pushing it by hand, as I haven't installed the chain yet.

This is the hanger I currently have. Surly says it's for "Shimano Direct Mount-only derailleur".
Cfc5gdi.jpg

Surly_12mm_thru_axle_chip_render.jpg

However there is an additional hanger *available* (maybe) from Surly that looks like this. It's in line vertically with the rest of the chainstay. It seems a vertical hanger would allow the derailleur to be installed more appropriately (at least closer inboard).

Surly_12mm_thru_axle_horizontal_chip_render.jpg

https://surlybikes.com/blog/thru_axles_mds_chips_derailleurs_single_speeds_and_you

Does it seem like the adventx is workable with my current hanger? I've never actually installed a new derailleur from a different brand before so I'm a little skeptical.

I'm surprised that it wouldn't work, given that it's a Surly frame, and the drivetrain is a system. :shock:

Looking at the Surly website, the only dropout that states "Shimano Direct mount hanger" is the one you have. The rest state "Standard hanger".

Based on the dropdown descriptions:
https://surlybikes.com/parts/mds_dropout_chips

Anything stopping you from trying it out with the chain?

I've sized the chain per Microshift's recommendation (largest cogs, overlapping rivet + 2 links) and there's a ton of slop in it. Only way I see to remove the slack is shorten the chain (which might lead to issues in the lowest gear), or shorten the housing to pull the derailleur forward a bit. The latter option would prevent the B tension screw from being even close to touching the hanger (2nd pic).

hkqomMc.jpg

pC3pAMa.jpg

Derailer mount is standard. Any derailer would fit the mount, and it would be very unlikely to find one that doesn’t. The purpose of various different derailers is not related to the mount, only chain/cogs and shifters. A very large low gear cog would likely require a long cage derailer. Derailers are normally sold paired with a shifter and it is recommender to use this one. To use any other, it would be safe to make sure that it is compatible.

https://wheelsmfg.com/blog/standard-mount-vs-direct-mount-derailleur-hangers.html

MadRhino said:
Derailer mount is standard. Any derailer would fit the mount, and it would be very unlikely to find one that doesn’t. The purpose of various different derailers is not related to the mount, only chain/cogs and shifters. A very large low gear cog would likely require a long cage derailer. Derailers are normally sold paired with a shifter and it is recommender to use this one. To use any other, it would be safe to make sure that it is compatible.

derailleur, shifter, and cassette are all from the AdventX line - they're compatible. I think I'm good on the hanger question I asked initially. However I'm not sure what to do with the chain slop/non contacting B screw.

The Advent X derailleur is of the conventional type, not direct mount. For your derailleur to work correctly, you need to mount it on a normal hanger.

Chalo said:
The Advent X derailleur is of the conventional type, not direct mount. For your derailleur to work correctly, you need to mount it on a normal hanger.

Thanks, that what I was wondering. AdventX makes no mention on the product page it's meant for a standard mount. The installation instructions kind of make it look like it's being installed on a direct mount but they don't specify. https://microshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Advent-X-Rear-Derailleur-Installation-VerRD002003.pdf

Sounds like I need to order this thing now

Shimano_DMD_Dogbone.jpg

Well I got my answer from Universal. I need a different set of dropouts. The adapter I pictured above is meant for running direct mount on the horizontal drop outs.

5fWUzyp.jpg

Back