1500w direct drive hub motor or 750w geared hub motor

MNS

100 µW
Hello, I am planning to buy a new motor from Ali Express, and I found two types of motors at the same Bafang 750w geared hub motor and 1500w direct drive hub motor price, but I do not know which one is better for me. I am a heavy weight person and there are some heights in my city, what do you advise
THANK YOU

You need to give more details of what motor,
Link to each of the motor

Maybe what height you referring to and howmuh overall weight this bike is going to be pulling

Without those info no one can help you

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

TRY 2,077.49 | 8Fun Bafang 48V 750W Brushless Geared DC Cassette Hub Rear Motor For Electric Bike Dropout W= 175mm 190mm for fat bicycle ebike
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msmhdN3

TRY 1,371.60 1%OFF | EBike Motor 48V 1000W/1500W Rear Rotate Direct Drive Motor E-bike Brushless Non-gear Hub Motor electric motor for bicycle
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPDGZcv

overall weight with the bike is 140 kg

Either motor will be loaded heavily, but not seriously overloaded on flat terrain. But loaded enough to get hotter than if you weighed less.

For that reason I would suggest the direct drive motor, simply because if the grade gets steep enough, either motor will be overloaded, and making a lot of heat. The direct drive can shed its heat quicker, and therefore is more likely to last if you do overheat it.

As for grades of hills, I would try to avoid grades above 6%, if the hill is longer than one mile, or 1.6 km.

You are paying attention of the width of the motor, right? Your geared hub option is quite a bit wider than most direct drive hubs I've seen - a set up that lends itself to use with fat tires (4" or so).

Another point as well. For riding at speeds under 15-20 mph or so, the geared hub option is going to offer MUCH sportier performance on 48v. Even when faced with smaller hills you'll find the geared hub's ability to climb much better.

Put another way, when considering production bikes, you're going to have to look far and wide to find bikes equipped with direct drive, even though they cost much less to make. The reason? Performance and efficiency at speeds most commonly ridden. The geared hubs are WAY better.

direct drive is big, tough, robust, heavy, takes abuse, setup right it can do hills, and most importantly can take the heat buildup.
geared if you want light weight, small and fragile because it can't take the heat buildup.

I bought that exact geared hub motor from that exact seller. The 190mm version. They delivered in a few days - actually expressed the motor from China to the USA.

It has about 6600 miles on it now. I weigh 250 lbs and the bike weighs about 80. Plus lets call it 20 lbs for the panniers and their contents. So total system weight is 145 kg+.

I don't know if I would call that motor fragile. I just took it apart Saturday to re-grease it and still no sign of any problems with the gears. Its rated for 80Nm although thats not a continuous number by any stretch. It can climb hills (California Central Coast) but being a hub, like any hub that can't use the drivetrain and powers thru the axle its not happy about it.

Mine runs 52v and 35a KT controller. That same motor is often run on 60v systems. Try long hills @ 60v and I suspect the gears would have an issue then. But 52v not so much.

Direct drive motor is going to provide weaker assist assuming equal voltage and amperage. But with no moving parts and better thermal properties it will be harder to kill it on a long hill. If I were doing hills I would do neither and go mid drive. That or a DD hub and give it a really strong wheel and a lot more than 1500w.

Thanks for the advice

Which of these two motors is better for speed, climb, and battery consumption? 1500w direct or 750w geared

I think the faults are due to the method of use and not to the type of motor

Mid drive if you want wear and tear on your drive train and replace components more often
and if the chain breaks have fun pedaling home.

DD's are cheaper
Geared has more moving parts, and builds up heat quicker so easier to fry the motor. If a gear breaks you could be S.O.L. if you can't find a replacement gear.

All depends on what your 750W vs 1500W systems are.
What battery voltage and what amp discharge are they? They both the same voltage?
52V 15A 750W
36V 20A 750W
vs
36V 40A 1500W
52V 30A 1500W
More voltage = more speed which means you will tend to use more speed on flats, and tend to use more amps for torque and total wattage to get up hills which uses more battery power which nets you less total distance ridden per charge.

dd and geared hubs can’t be compared with equal wattage. A DD hub rated 1500w can be fed bursts of 10 kw, making it an acceleration and climbing beast as compared to a geared hub.

They just don’t have the same purpose. The geared hub is for a bike that you are going to pedal and expect a long range with a relatively small battery. We can’t feed them high power and ride them aggressively.

A DD hub does wake up with much higher power, simply because it is a bigger motor (Inside a geared hub is a small motor with clutch and planetary gears), and bigger motors are capable of faster speed/acceleration, with better reliability. To benefit the power advantage of a DD hub you need a bigger battery, or at least one that is capable of delivering high power.

Different motors are for different purposes, and a wise builder does chose the motor for the kind of ride that he plans.

When it comes to performance, if thinking DD, you had better be prepared to spend some serious money on your battery.

Big gear drives (1000w) are hard to kill, but much easier than a DD if you're thinking along the lines of high speed commuting.

I think maybe the bigger point is, there is no "best" here. It's all about priorities and compromises. You have to define your expectations clearly. You can't just say/think it needs to be able to do 30mph. That's a great goal, and very "do-able", but MANY rigs can achieve that! The question becomes how long with it maintain that 30mph? It's not until you decide that it has to be able to average 30mph for 10-15 miles that will really define what you need to do that for instance....

I'll ride the bike daily for 7 miles just to go to work I'm not looking for the best performance I just want advice if you are in my place which motor would you buy

MNS said:
I'll ride the bike daily for 7 miles just to go to work I'm not looking for the best performance I just want advice if you are in my place which motor would you buy

Do you want stealth, a small motor hidden behind the rear cassette and brake rotor?
If so then a small geared hub motor.

Do you want the motor to freewheel (geared) for when you are un-powered there is not the dd drag.

If not then flip a coin and try to find the cheapest deal and go for that, there are lots of dd kits for $180-$220 with a 10-25A controller then buy your battery.

It's really the hill gradients on your route that are key.

The DD is stronger simpler more likely to last longer

so long as you don't have climbs that will burn it up.

Adding a CAv3 into the mix may be needed if your controller does not have a cutoff based on motor temp sensing.

MNS said:

Best commuter for a big guy who doesn’t need performance, is a DD hub build on small tubeless moped wheels and 3’’ tires. That is the kind of bike that will last a decade of reliable daily commuting with minimal maintenance.

MNS said:

Tell us about those 7 miles. Hills? Cross town traffic with a lot of stop and go? What surfaces will you be on? Sidewalks and trails all the way, or are you going to be mixing it up with cars/tracks that are doing 60mph?

Only 1 hill for 1 km and I will continue on the side walk im not looking for super performance but I found these two motors for the same price and I am confused between them and I plan to install it on this bike

https://www.mossobisiklet.com/legarda-2124-msm-h-tr

Thank you all for your response

MNS said:
and I plan to install it on this bike

https://www.mossobisiklet.com/legarda-2124-msm-h-tr
Well that makes this an easy answer because the fat bike motor will not fit this bike. If you are just looking for which one to buy between the two you list, it can't be the fat one now that we've seen the bike.

Sorry how do you know one is for "fat bikes"?

I see that nowhere in the listing for either motor

john61ct said:
Sorry how do you know one is for "fat bikes"?

I see that nowhere in the listing for either motor

"8Fun Bafang 48V 750W Brushless Geared DC Cassette Hub Rear Motor For Electric Bike Dropout W= 175mm 190mm for fat bicycle ebike

what is the exact bike do you want to use what is your budget what type of batteries are you thinking of running will you be wanting a controller that can run a cycle analyst ? Will all this fit easily on your bike ? Some bikes have a derailleur with there's not enough room to put a big nut on the axle. Planning

For the OP...the 1500w and 750w ratings are virtually meaningless. You need to look further into the design and the parameters of the motors to compare them. I'd recomend using the Grin Tech Motor Simulator to compare performance.

What you'll find is a geared hub motor will produce more torque/thrust and quicker acceleration if you supply the same amperage and the geared hub motor will over heat if you supply too much amperage for too long but for shorter periods of time, the geared hub can put out a lot of torque.

The Direct Drive motor can handle more amperage for longer periods of time without over heating but you'll need to supply more amperage to get the same torque/thrust as the geared hub motor...this can mean you'll need a bigger/more capable battery and controller.

Remember you need to match the motor, battery, and controller to get the most out of any set up.

What it comes down to is if you want to ride at speeds of about 30 mph or faster, a geared hub motor is a bad choice because it will over heat.

If you want to ride off road...a mid drive is usually the best choice.

If you want to ride at speeds below roughly 30 mph on pavement or good dirt roads, a geared hub motor is usually the best choice.

If you want to ride at speeds above roughly 30 mph on pavement or good dirt roads, a direct drive hub motor is usually the best choice.

Back