Waterproofing exposed switches?

Hello everyone,
I have been wondering if I should buy waterproof or water resistant switches for the top tube of my ebike build. The switches that I have right now which can be found here https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-9001...6dc-8259-ac02200376a0&tag=gadgetreview-tca-20 and unfortunately they are not water resistant when I did some test on them. However on youtube I find that many people test their electrons in pools and it still works afterwards, soo do I need to buy new switches or are those switches ok?
Thanks!

Well they’re nice looking switches! 😅
I think it comes down if you ever ride in the rain or not or if this is a commuter. I have non-waterproof switches on my bike but I never ride if it’s called for rain. Can always carry some gorilla tape and if it ever starts raining just cover the switch up lol

Not quite the same, but an example of waterproof...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MT1JGT3?pd_rd_i=B08MT1JGT3&pd_rd_w=vhJZU&pf_rd_p=3465d0d7-4e28-4692-b633-326c458deaa4&pd_rd_wg=HLkuy&pf_rd_r=WZZ92X752GN24RQXFH80&pd_rd_r=aa6f4b62-67e0-4f17-a566-b28f87166933

Add "waterproof" to your search terms.

What are the switches going to do? If its crucial, like turning the controller on and off, locate them under the seat of the bike. Or someplace semi dry.

Sure, not as convenient to reach, but you won't be using that switch while riding anyway.

Non crucial switches can be located in the wet, since if you lose that function temporarily its not going to make you walk.

Sorry guys for the late response, i''m new to this site and didn't know you have to manual turn on notifications.

Eastwood,
Thanks! :) But I want my bike to look clean and professional and unfortunately over here in Germany it rains alot ;(

TDB,
I found those as well, but they're too big for my taste and I have a feeling if I leave those out in the sun it will melt

dogman dan,
The switches (about 6 in total) will control the ssd, lights, speed controller, etc. I'm going to make a custom case for my bike and I would like to have the switches on the top tube so it can look good. The sides of the middle tube is going to be covered by more aluminum to keep people (mainly the polize) from looking too much at my diy bike.

I've been riding in heavy downpours for the past 5 years with non waterproof switches and have had 0 problems. I do coat all the connections with Vaseline though

Dumsterdave said:
connections with Vaseline though

Nice tip!
I’ve used silicone in the past to seal up connections. Vaseline trick is a great idea.

E-HP said:
Squirt them with WD-40 once in a while. WD stands for Water Displacement. :thumb:

Nice, I wonder if silicone spray would work the same since it doesn’t stink as bad lol

Back