Cassette reverse cog stack - large to small

myozone

10 mW
Just an hypothetical idea could you reverse the stack of cogs on the rear cassette ?.
What I mean is rather than small to large cogs as standard, could you go from large to small cogs. Obviously you would need to have the smallest cog on the outside with the locking ring to lock all the cogs in place. I wonder if the derailleur would still work ok? - I don't see why not.

As most ebikes need lower gears at high torque levels at low road speeds the chain line would be better than at higher MPH with lower torque - just an idea.

myozone said:
Just an hypothetical idea could you reverse the stack of cogs on the rear cassette ?.
What I mean is rather than small to large cogs as standard, could you go from large to small cogs. Obviously you would need to have the smallest cog on the outside with the locking ring to lock all the cogs in place. I wonder if the derailleur would still work ok? - I don't see why not.

As most ebikes need lower gears at high torque levels at low road speeds the chain line would be better than at higher MPH with lower torque - just an idea.

No, that doesn't work. The big sprockets would be in the space normally occupied by the derailleur. You'd instantly crash the derailleur and break stuff.

What you can do is what I did. Select the sprockets that work best for you and put them all on the outer end of the cassette (in normal order of size). Put the extras in the innermost positions and use the low limit screw to lock them out. I turned my 11-40 9-speed cassette that barely worked into a 16-40 7-speed cassette that worked great for me. (I bought a 16 tooth 1st position sprocket for the outside.).

Thanks Chalo, I forgot about the derailleur 'reaching over' the smaller cogs and crashing into them if the larger were in the 'first' (high gear) position :roll:

I've seen before the rearranging of gears and limit the range of gears - it's a really good idea. Now I just need to get motor etc and change my freewheel to a cassette on my old Raleigh Ogre 21....

Why making it simple when a stupid dream gave you the ultimate complication. :mrgreen:

Reminds me of a friend who woke up with this idea of reversing the steering on his bike. Now steering left does make the wheel turn right. Took him a week to make it, and a month to learn to ride it. At least he got an advantage, for nobody else would be able to ride it now. That is what he believed, until a neighbor kid did it at second try and was perfectly comfortable riding it after 3 minutes. I was laughing. He said try it, which I did and started with a manual, riding it around on a wheelie.

He said: all this trouble and now I have to lock it again because I can’t trust anymore that no one can take it and ride away right under my eyes. :D

Back