Strategies to increase range while on road (you can't use a gas station)

austin2359

10 mW
One dowside of an ebike is that you can't just go to a gas station and keep filling it.

What's the cheapest way to pay for power on long trips?

I can only ride for 4 hrs then my body needs a break. My battery can do that, if I need more will hook up my trailer and pull my second battery of the same size with me and charge them while resting. You can setup your chargers to connect to SAE J1772 at charging stations.

Short answer is more batteries.

austin2359 said:
One dowside of an ebike is that you can't just go to a gas station and keep filling it.

What's the cheapest way to pay for power on long trips?

There's a pretty long thread on charging while on the road that you'll probably find with a search. There are a range of suggestions, including finding places like gas stations along the route that have an outdoor receptacle, etc.

make sure your have a battery setup that can take a fast charger
Like 1,000 watts so it won't blow the circuit. Restaurant , campgrounds etc etc
Need a special battery how many volts are you thinking of running ?

I'm running a 52v stock on the folding luna cycle. My battery is being worked on but it's not dead for sure. I was going to start another thread about that - what is the best equivalent battery for range, for cost and for a compromise between the two (the options). It's a modded bbs02 motor that can take about 1200 watts

austin2359 said:
I'm running a 52v stock on the folding luna cycle. My battery is being worked on but it's not dead for sure. I was going to start another thread about that - what is the best equivalent battery for range, for cost and for a compromise between the two (the options). It's a modded bbs02 motor that can take about 1200 watts
So go to the other thread to find out you current battery’s specs?
https://lunacycle.com/52v-mighty-mini-cube-samsung-ebike-battery-pack-30q-6ah-3-pounds/

Build/Buy the biggest battery you can mount and handle and find the right charger.
Take into consideration a 15A input limit for the minimum household outlet to crossover to commercial/industrial outlets.
Be wiser to stick to an input of 14A or 13A as a buffer.

RSP has 1500W and is to much 17A/115VAC 8A/230VAC @ 43-56V 32A
https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/RSP-1500/RSP-1500-SPEC.PDF

RSP 1000W is 12A/115VAC 6A/230VA @ 43 ~ 55V and 21A
https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/RSP-1000/RSP-1000-SPEC.PDF

Maybe there is a Meanwell charger that is 1200W to fit between 1kw 12A and 1.5kw 17A
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-charger-ev-charger/1089-18463-c1200-mcu-oled-display-lifepo4li-ion-battery-smart-charger.html#/26-ac_voltage-100132vac/428-work_only_on_can_command-no
1200W but no other info, they build to suit for general specs.

Option 2 is to carry around a generator on an semi enclosed trailer to power a fan and a charger to charge a spare battery.
500W 8.00 x 14.00 x 12.00 Inches, 27 lbs, 450W Rated / 500W max output so should be around 4.20A output good for one 20V(18V 5S) 8A laptop charger. Two of mine charging a 36V split battery pack, pulled 6 amps, but I will confirm if I remember. I was expecting to see 8A but never did thats why I remember it being lower.

Take a look at this thread - https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=112731#p1666794

Fast small fast charger is the answer, but you are limited by max charge current of your battery (look that up)
my 48v battery is limited to 10A
my battery is 18ah, so I am ok for a quick 1 hour break and 10ah of recharge.

I might have to upsize my bike seat to a monster one to ride that long :)

You can look into using an EV charging station to charge your ebikes batteries.
People have done that with their motorcycles, hooking up their own batteries to the EV charging stations.
That would be ideal, carry around like 5-10kwh of battery in a bicycle trailer and get the EV charging station map app and be sure your battery can handle the charging current.

The battery would weight a lot
would need to beef the single wheeled bob trailer
so you can maneuver tight spaces easy enough
if you can fit the battery in the bob trailer to begin with
trailer.jpg

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=4

austin2359 said:
I'm running a 52v stock on the folding luna cycle.

The simplest and easiest first measure to increase range would be to use a bike designed for longer distances than "the last mile".

Convenience stores and grocery stores nearly always have outlets out front. Many even have a bench or picnic table nearby. Scope it out then go inside and buy something then ask if you can hang out for a while and charge. I’ve done this many times and the only place that ever refused me was the Safeway grocery in Williams AZ.

y markz » Jul 21 2021 12:43pm

You can look into using an EV charging station to charge your ebikes batteries.
People have done that with their motorcycles, hooking up their own batteries to the EV charging stations.
That would be ideal, carry around like 5-10kwh of battery in a bicycle trailer and get the EV charging station map app and be sure your battery can handle the charging current.

Ev charging stations do not send DC power (Excluding the fast charging, large DC plug - CHAdeMO) the J1772 connector used for Level 1 AC (110/120 20a portable) Level 2 AC charging (220V/240V 40a/50a) is what the charge stations are. The charger is mounted in the EV and just needs AC current from the J1772 plug.

The problem is the newer strip malls dont require by code any outlets on the exterior, while residential housing requires two by code, one in the front one in the back. I've rode all around countless newer strip malls and seen zero outlets. Only ran across a few buildings with locked outlets, one city owned fish hatchery, another was a school, easy to kick and break the plastic outlet box covering the outlet if your in serious need but thats breaking the law. Heck I've even charged up a battery from an occupied house that I did not initially realize it was occupied :lol: all his neighbors looked like still under construction, was those infills 8 plex. Heck I even took my bike into a donut shop to charge because Tim Hortons usually has no outlets, most fast food joints have outlets at the rear.

Another place to look is rotating pilon signs, community entrances might have an outlet at the community name sign or if theres any other features you need to roam around in the bushes and sometimes find an outlet, usually for xmas lights but its a roll of the dice if the circuit breaker is even on. Churches are good, schools,

Hwy89 said:
Convenience stores and grocery stores nearly always have outlets out front. Many even have a bench or picnic table nearby. Scope it out then go inside and buy something then ask if you can hang out for a while and charge. I’ve done this many times and the only place that ever refused me was the Safeway grocery in Williams AZ.

As above,
-increase Wh
-decrease Wh/mile -- this varies by an order of magnitude

Velomobile
Recumbent

or go 5.3kwh battery pack at 232Ah at 23V, two in series could do you well :wink:
3.1 InchesH x 11.9 InchesW x 26.2 InchesL @ 55 Pounds each.
https://teslabatterymodules.com/shop/ols/products/tesla-battery-module-52kwh
Along with some rigorous pedaling at say 15wh/mile = 350 miles :thumb: for just $2400.

Motor Type Rough energy usage
Minimal Assist (using motor only on hills, slower ~30kph setup) 6-8 Wh/km = 12wh/m
Typical Assist (~40 kph with pedaling, motor on all the time) 9-12 Wh/km = 19wh/m
Power Hungry (either no pedaling, or hauling a load, or going really fast) 14-20 Wh/km = 31wh/m

or go solar

or go motorized i.c.e. bicycle, which I saw one the other day and for some strange reason I always see them in the poorer neighborhoods of the city :lol: Gee wonder why :lol: funny thing is with those is that you never hear them coming towards you but you sure can hear them when your off to the side.

or do this
https://youtu.be/C_gQiOoUwfk?t=796

fatty said:
-decrease Wh/mile -- this varies by an order of magnitude

Attachments

• velomobile.jpg
    velomobile.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 863
  • recumbent.jpg
    recumbent.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 863
  • recumbent 1.jpg
    recumbent 1.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 863
  • solar.jpg
    solar.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 863
Limit the entire system to 3-4A.

3A on (72vnominal) is 216w.

216w out of a 1, or 2, kWh battery.. is .. alotta.. somethingsomethingsomething. Makes ya pedal alot.

I do that and its like 20+ hours. @ 3-4mph with pedaling. Lol. A machine limits the current much better than Mr.ThrottleHappy can (me). ( Grin CaV1.14)

I mean, its ok if your system can take 100x more.. I have ridden (well, pedaled mostly) hundreds of miles with a 2-3A limit on a 100A+ controller.

Oh! Tires. ... and tires. Tires make a big difference, certainly. Low rolling resistance.

Yeah, ride slower, pump up those tires, use 300w but pedal up 100w of it. A more aero bike would be best of course, but to max your range on what you have ride 15 mph. Its quite astonishing how much more wind resistance there is at 20 mph, vs 15 mph. And simple stuff, like don't ride with a big winter coat unzipped. Take it off when it gets warm. Don't make your wind resistance bigger with a huge hat, or baggy clothes. Dress slick.

Sounds too slow, but in fact you can cover 75 miles in a 5 hour ride, at 15 mph. About the length of time most people can stand at most, in the saddle per day. 200w average, for 5 hours, thats a 1000 wh pack.

Catch 22,, a 52v 20 ah, 1000wh pack won't deliver out 1000wh in the real world. A few weaker than spec cells, internal heating of the pack sucks a few wh, and of course the thing is new for only a few weeks.

But you can go 75 miles on two, 52v 15 ah packs. And that is not too bad for carrying it, if you have a set of panniers on the bike, or a back pack. Run one pack then the other if that works best for carrying it.

As for charging it later, it depends on the town. My medium size city has almost zero free range plugs. In parks, they are switched off unless you get the permit and pay a fee for your party. New buildings have no plugs. There used to be plugs at walmart, but they removed them. A store with an ice cooler out front remains the best bet. But there is a limit to the power you can pull from a 20 amp plug that has a big ass freezer running on it. So a big charger if it works, but maybe carry a 250w too.

In the smaller towns that aren't over run with homeless, I find plugs that work in city parks, community centers, etc. I have also camped in state parks that have electric plugs in the camp sites. Cheap here, but pricy in other places.

Lastly, look for vacant houses. That real estate sign out front usually means the lights are on inside.

Rather than multiple chargers for that loaded-circuit situation, one like the Satiator lets you derate the current as needed.

Any campsite, they might want a little money

You can also ask people you meet, restaurant if you're getting a meal.

Hot-swap packs in a backpack can use a library, coffee shops etc that let people plug in their laptops.

Every street lamp that I know of, have an electrical access door, where you can easily pick 120v with alligator clips. Some even have a standard 120v outlet, so the city can plug Christmas lights. :idea:

atp_iluminacion_certificado_Marca_AENOR_Columnas_Puerta_de_registro_ip66.png

You know I thought about that but I just didnt know what the voltages were, I'd just assume it wouldnt be 120V, I thought for sure 240V
:lol:
Never crossed my mind to bring along a dmmeter and check the volts.

Most street lights here are now l.e.d., 80-90k replaced in 2017, cost $32M that saves $5M/yr.
111.png

MadRhino said:
Every street lamp that I know of, have an electrical access door, where you can easily pick 120v with alligator clips. Some even have a standard 120v outlet, so the city can plug Christmas lights. :idea:

atp_iluminacion_certificado_Marca_AENOR_Columnas_Puerta_de_registro_ip66.png

carry as big battery as you can afford
the lighter you are the more heavy battery can be.
but it cost money.
I carry chargers permanently attached to my ebikes.
my rule is to use taxpayer-payed places for charging, like schools, recreational centers,
I pay over Can$200/month property taxes to city of Calgary.
outlets at schools are never locked in any way, usually life.
as Markz wrote , I avoid new schools and public buildings - they have no outlets or very few outlets.
sometimes I roll my ebikes between entrance doors , sometimes hallways in sport centers
I always make sure it is not private property, city operated or subsidised facilities are NOT private properties.
the guy charging his cellphone is not stealing, so I am also not stealing, right?

I had some random maintenance guy complain I was stealing electricity from an outlet outside a Walmart.
He literally just unplugged my chargers.
It's not my normal go to as there is a Subway nearby I can sit and keep an eye on my bike.

Locked outlet boxes are out there, its rare.

I always carry an outlet tester and find 10% of outlets are loose connections.

miro13car said:
the guy charging his cellphone is not stealing, so I am also not stealing, right?

markz said:
I had some random maintenance guy complain I was stealing electricity from an outlet outside a Walmart.
He literally just unplugged my chargers.
It's not my normal go to as there is a Subway nearby I can sit and keep an eye on my bike.

Locked outlet boxes are out there, its rare.

I always carry an outlet tester and find 10% of outlets are loose connections.

At the grocery nearby, there are about 20 exterior 120v outlets. I was smoking while my bike was charging, when a kid employee came and told me I am stealing electricity. I asked what all those outlets are for. He said he doesn’t know. I said go ask your boss. He came back and said it is OK finally, since his boss told him there is an outlet at every bench for charging cell phones, laptops and ebikes. 😁

I guess many businesses will do the same in a near future, especially cafe, restaurants, groceries... The city should, to favor light ev transportation.

Back