TSDZ2/OSF/860c: How to set up SOC for mostly charging to only 85% ?

PeteCress

1 kW
Paoli (near Philadelphia) Pennsylvania USA
Firmware Versions
860c: 20.1c-22
TSDZ2: 0.20.1

My plan is to extend battery life by mostly charging my LiPo battery (https://www.electrifybike.com/collections/batteries/products/52v-40-amp-14ah-super-shark-e-bike-battery) to only 85%.

"Mostly" bc I have been advised to charge it to 100% every month or so to enable the BMS to balance cells.

Does this make sense so far?

If so The Question: How should I set up the Battery & SOC parms?

Right now, I have them set so that an 85% charge shows up on the 860c display as 100%, but that seems like it would be problematic when I do the occasional 100% charge.

Here's what my parms currently look like:
*Battery
> Max Current: 10
> Low Cutoff: 45.0
> Resistance: 300
> Voltage Est: 54.5

* SOC
> text: SOC %
> Reset at Voltage: 56.6
> Battery Total Wh: 590
> Used Wh: 155.0
> Manual Reset: No

I am in the camp where I am not sweating going to full charge most rides. If it costs a few battery cycles so be it. But having said that there are times when I grab a partially charged battery and it would be nice to have an accurate SOC. Only way to do this apparently is to enter an estimate manually from the 860 display. I haven't tried that yet... but instead I have the OSF 860 displaying battery voltage and I monitor that instead. For a "52v" battery 58.8 is fresh fully charged... although it decays a bit after you pull it off the charger. 40 or so is dead flat empty. EM3EV says that you can go down to 38.5v (2.75v/cell) without damage, but most folks here recommend significantly higher. Most of my long rides I come back with 47v or so. I am going to test my new battery on a ride today. It has more Wh than the old one. Curious to see what kind of range I get.

But I don't leave the battery sitting around at full charge so for short rides I just run it as it is. Then charge it fully when I am planning to go long.

PeteCress said:
Firmware Versions
860c: 20.1c-22
TSDZ2: 0.20.1

My plan is to extend battery life by mostly charging my LiPo battery (https://www.electrifybike.com/collections/batteries/products/52v-40-amp-14ah-super-shark-e-bike-battery) to only 85%.

"Mostly" bc I have been advised to charge it to 100% every month or so to enable the BMS to balance cells.

Does this make sense so far?

If so The Question: How should I set up the Battery & SOC parms?

Right now, I have them set so that an 85% charge shows up on the 860c display as 100%, but that seems like it would be problematic when I do the occasional 100% charge.

Here's what my parms currently look like:
*Battery
> Max Current: 10
> Low Cutoff: 45.0
> Resistance: 300
> Voltage Est: 54.5

* SOC
> text: SOC %
> Reset at Voltage: 56.6
> Battery Total Wh: 590
> Used Wh: 155.0
> Manual Reset: No

This happens all the time. They need to separate the " button from the edit button. Or otherwise make it bigger or different color or something. Hopefully the forum refresh that is coming will fix this.

PeteCress said:
(This post needs tb deleted but the board will not allow me to do so)

Back