Any durable half-twist throttle recommendations?

12-C

100 W
The grip portion of my throttle failed. The actual twist throttle portion continued to work just fine. After the piece broke (looks to be made of cheap pot metal or some form of shiny cheese) it essentially functioned like a full twist which I dont like. I could feel the grip part start to fail over time. It started to become more slack/play in the unit.

I'm pretty tough on my bike I guess. I bunny hop, wheelie, manual and occasionally toss the bike in the weeds (not typically at high speed or any substantial falls out of the sky). So the bars can take some abuse.

Anyone have and options for a sturdy unit that won't fail like this? I wish there was a solid aluminum unit available...

20210727_211235.jpg
20210727_211305.jpg

Maybe you can modify a Magura throttle to be a half throttle.

Or try this one
https://www.qsmotor.com/product/throttle-with-voltage-display/

The way I did my mountain bike, was to use a half twist throttle that has a clamp mounting for the throttle section itself.
Then you are free to change and add whatever grip you like. I added a set of grips that had their own clamps.
There are many makes on the market for both.
You are also then free to cut and modify the grip to be any length that suits.
IMG-0151t.jpg

Have you considered or tried a thumb throttle? I was a little hesitant as I come from a motorcycle background 20+ years with a twist throttle. I have to say I fell in love with the thumb throttle. But yeah not everyone likes them 8)

If I were to use a twist throttle the magura throttle would be a good choice. Especially for riding wheelies being able to modulate the power.

Santacruz said:
The way I did my mountain bike, was to use a half twist throttle that has a clamp mounting for the throttle section itself.
Then you are free to change and add whatever grip you like. I added a set of grips that had their own clamps.
IMG-0151t.jpg

I like this setup. Where did you find the half twist portion?

The esthetic of the key portion bothers me a bit tho😁

Eastwood said:
Have you considered or tried a thumb throttle? I was a little hesitant as I come from a motorcycle background 20+ years with a twist throttle. I have to say I fell in love with the thumb throttle. But yeah not everyone likes them 8)

If I were to use a twist throttle the magura throttle would be a good choice. Especially for riding wheelies being able to modulate the power.

I have the magura, like you I come from motorcycles as well. Could never quite get used to it so I went half twist. I like to be able to bunny hop, manual, pedal wheelie etc. And I find that half twist is the best of both worlds for me.
I also tried a thumb, no chance I could get used to that.

Today was my first ride with a half-grip twist throttle just to see what it was like. I ride aggressive trail on a full suspension, long travel bike. I've tried the full-grip twist throttle, the universal thumb throttle, and now this half-grip rig. I'm just trying all of them to see where I land. Being a dirt motor guy, I'm having no problem with the right hand twist throttle tubes in full or half grip. The only thing I don't like about the twist throttles is how prone they are to bumping unintentionally by your own hand or something else in an adverse trail condition. This hasn't been a big deal, it's just not really ideal. The half-twist is a little better in this regard being inboard and more out of the way.

12-C, on your throttle tube end...that is the end, correct?...that is very common on any throttle tube that goes to the end of the bar and extends out over the end of the bar...dirt motor or emtb. Nothing holds up to off road riding with that design whether it's hitting the ground in a crash or smacking trees. Most people with closed end throttle tubes, either metal or plastic, cut that very end cover off and open to the end of the bar...and do this before it shatters the rest of the tube. Of course a lot of dirt motors have protective handguards/barkbusters plugged into that hole...something we won't have on emtb's with twist grip throttles. You can plug the open end of the bar with a rubber plug or such, and yes, the end of the throttle tube is still somewhat open to long term dirt and such, but your tube will last, and you can clean it if necessary occasionally.

The half-grip twist throttle may be the most bulletproof choice, as it's more protected inboard of the twist options. I ordered my full grip and half grip throttles off of Amazon for Bafang applications...plugs right into the OEM wire harness.

12-C said:
Santacruz said:
IMG-0151t.jpg

I like this setup. Where did you find the half twist portion?

The esthetic of the key portion bothers me a bit tho😁

If you just google half twist throttle and look at image in results, you will see plenty of make for them.
With and without a key switch, that is just a choice I made at the time.
But, if you look at the photo's on google, you will clearly see ones that have a split and clamping screw.
You can get them, plain, with battery level lights, with press switch, key switch, just about any combination.

Here is an example:-
014_EBO_ADDITIONAL PARTS & CABLES_72DPI.jpg

I had a genius moment.

I took my Magura and sawed it down. The rest of the grip is now the dual clamped grip (also sawed down).

Pics soon

12-C said:
I had a genius moment.

I took my Magura and sawed it down. The rest of the grip is now the dual clamped grip (also sawed down).

Pics soon

Definitely interested in seeing how you set up your shifter. My ideal throttle setup would be a twist throttle small enough that it doesn't interfere with shifting ergonomics when just using the normal grip.

The magura had a great feel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210731-000846_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210731-000846_Gallery.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 692
This is not at all what you asked for but I would be remiss if I did not mention that these trigger throttles are my favorite ebike throttle of all time. (Thumb throttles make my hand and wrist cramp and cause me to have a mediocre at best grip on the bars, fwiw)

https://e-bikestuff.com/en/throttles/93-trigger-throttle-black-rapid-kt-bolt.html

trigger-throttle-black-rapid-kt-bolt.jpg

(Note: the power and signal wires are inverted, on the model I happened to purchase anyway. Easily overcome, and the other models they offer may not have this particular drawback. Worth mentioning however.)

COAR said:
12-C said:
The magura had a great feel.

that's the shifter collar on the far left?

Yes, shifter. It's a bit of a reach which means I have to let off the throttle, but not let go of the bar. I don't mind it, it's a good insurance policy against a mindless shift under power...

12-C said:
That trigger unit is interesting.

I really like them, and they tuck nicely behind the brake lever which protects it from impact. Practically speaking the brake lever would need to snap off for the throttle to be damaged under most circumstances I can think of. Great grip on the bars, great modulation, even has a rotating rubber bit that spins as you squeeze it so your finger is always on axis. Best I've ever had and now my new standard.

Like I mentioned above, after getting a couple of rides on the Bafang half-grip twist throttle, I think it's going to be my favorite after the others I tried. Only problem is it's actually too long for my preference. Easy fix today was to just cut it down a bit. For rough terrain mountain biking its length was still in a place where my gloved hand would engage it occasionally.

First thing I did was to take 20mm off the end by first trimming the rubber grip cover over the plastic with a utility knife. Then remove the inner plastic sleeve with a dremel tool cutting disc. Clean up any rough edges and make sure the throttle tube operates smoothly on the handlebar.

I then cut down a full length clamping handgrip down to a desired length and tightened everything up and adjusted to my preference. The throttle is still very accessible and easy to use without taking up so much of the grip space. Looks like my final solution for my riding.

Attachments

• IMG_20210731_125152062.jpg
    IMG_20210731_125152062.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_20210731_130204254.jpg
    IMG_20210731_130204254.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_20210731_142412549.jpg
    IMG_20210731_142412549.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 649
HK12K said:
This is not at all what you asked for but I would be remiss if I did not mention that these trigger throttles are my favorite ebike throttle of all time. (Thumb throttles make my hand and wrist cramp and cause me to have a mediocre at best grip on the bars, fwiw)

That trigger throttle looks great. Unfortunately I can't find a NA seller and shipping from Poland probably costs more than the throttle itself.

Might be able to modify the standard thumb throttle to get a similar pull thought.

Shipping was expensive but I have absolutely no regrets. Would buy them again without hesitation, and would probably buy more than I did last time if I had to do it again, just to have them on hand.

HK12K said:
Shipping was expensive but I have absolutely no regrets. Would buy them again without hesitation, and would probably buy more than I did last time if I had to do it again, just to have them on hand.

are you in the US? How much did shipping run?

I am, Washington State. The shipping was expensive for sure. Just looked up the invoice. Two throttles cost me 81pln, which is $21.12 total based on today's conversion rate. The shipping was 200 pln which is currently $51.98.

Steep, without question, but I'd still do it again. I'd just buy a whack of them to resell were I to place another order. I like them that much. Wish I had bought more than 2, but it was uncharted territory at the time.

All considered though we do spend a whack of money on these bikes, even for budget builds, so the one electronic part you touch most should probably make you happy.

Fwiw I have no affiliation with this company or the producers of these throttles. Someone had posted here offering them for sale last year at the start of the pandemic but because of lockdowns had to pull the plug. I kept them in mind though, contacted them a few months ago and they directed me to that site. Happy I kept on top of it

If you just look at it as 60 bucks for a throttle that's not too bad, but I have a psychological barrier of paying $50 in shipping for a 2 oz product lol.

Does anyone else think that the trigger throttle posted by HK12K appears kind of fragile? I think the Bafang trigger throttles that are "push to the side"...al la ATV style...are also quite fragile. Maybe the best protected thumb throttle is the common, universal, Bafang, thumb throttle that is "push forward". It tucks up pretty tight if crashing and hitting things on a trail are of any concern. For most ebikers, I guess, any throttle that works and fits one's preference is fine. If you have to be concerned about off road damage, the compact universal thumb throttle and the half-grip twist throttles probably offer the best protections.

TNC said:
Does anyone else think that the trigger throttle posted by HK12K appears kind of fragile?

It looks to me like it would tuck up sheltered underneath the brake lever. That doesn't make it rugged, but it does limit the need for it to be rugged.

I have seen the paddles break off Wuxing 130X throttles before. It's not a common problem, but it seems at least as likely as breaking a twist throttle. (Which I did just the other day, and replaced it with a Wuxing 130X).

Back